PDA

View Full Version : How does F*N know??

Detale
12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
It seems that F*N will warn/ban people trying to trade invites here. I am very curious how they would get us, even though we change our usernames. The only way I can think of is through our IP addy's. I am pretty sure only staff here has that information and hence does that mean a member of staff here is a member of staff there?? Now Im not trying to start problems I am only trying to figure out what happened and how. I love bot F*N and FST so I don't want any problems with either of your sites. Does anyone have an idea how they find out who we are?

Alien5
12-17-2006, 08:34 PM
i think they are here as members, using different usernames.

RainRoofer
12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
THey could check your topic for trading offer, see you're offering invite to f**
then they wait "Trusted traders list" to be updated, Detale +1
after that they check the new members if the nick names match, check who invited that person and boom, they're both gone.
My logical theory.
That's why I don't like to be on that list.

delimare
12-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Big Brother is always watching you :ph34r:

Shadowfire
12-17-2006, 09:07 PM
But the thing is he never sent out any invites.

Panther
12-17-2006, 09:08 PM
THey could check your topic for trading offer, see you're offering invite to f**
then they wait "Trusted traders list" to be updated, Detale +1
after that they check the new members if the nick names match, check who invited that person and boom, they're both gone.
My logical theory.
That's why I don't like to be on that list.

yea, that might be if the nicks are the same, but Detale said if they are not the same, how do they know...?

has to be staff here or maby something a bit illegal (somehow they get people ipīs)

Alien5
12-17-2006, 09:10 PM
:shifty: just need to watch your back when inviting people because.......... you could loose your invites and account, computer, your dog....wife and kids, house, car, blah blah blah :crazy: :huh: :lol:

RainRoofer
12-17-2006, 09:10 PM
They can always find your mail if they pretend they're members.
Remember that!

Alien5
12-17-2006, 09:12 PM
they know your email and your ip and your username. so they match up some of em and hey presto

delimare
12-17-2006, 09:15 PM
You also have to remember that there isn't a huge amount of invite and sign-up traffic on some of these sites. If only 1 invite happens every one or two hours they can easily see the time when someone did the trade here and then check their own logs to see who sent out the invite and who used it to sign up within that same time period. They would obviously have a harder name if say 3 or 4 people signed up within a small time frame but I doubt they have that many people signing up at once. Makes it much easier to pinpoint the users.

I know that when I make a trade here I sign up in under 5 minutes, I'm sure most people do the same.

Chi Pheo
12-17-2006, 09:16 PM
:shifty: just need to watch your back when inviting people because.......... you could loose your invites and account, computer, your dog....wife and kids, house, car, blah blah blah :crazy: :huh: :lol:

Totally agree with you :yup: :lol:

@ Detale,

Sorry about that bro!

RainRoofer
12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Maybe we can write a tutorial how to get in safe :lol: and make it sticky :lol:

Alien5
12-17-2006, 09:18 PM
yeah the signup and the trade are happening in a short time period.

General2k
12-17-2006, 09:44 PM
I have some theories.. Now lets test them out, shall we?

General2k
12-17-2006, 09:55 PM
First Test confirmed.
The IP address of one of the following members; covertreatmeat, Shadowfire, or Snake696
is xxx.xxx.xxx.207 for security purposes i have marked most of the address.

It is rather quite simple, to find out who everyone is IF you have their IP address, and your a mod at FTN.

If they used the same method I just used it would not to too difficult to find out who the spy is also.

Alien5
12-17-2006, 09:57 PM
whoa..whoa....can you say that again in english :unsure:

Panther
12-17-2006, 09:59 PM
how did you find out this ip?

senfield25
12-17-2006, 10:02 PM
f*n ???? what is that could someone say me what the s*n stands for?

General2k
12-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Alien5 and Panther you two posted kinda close together so I think its like this.
Alien5 - xxx.xxx.xxx.165
Pather - xxx.xxx.xxx.112

Hows that?

lysine
12-17-2006, 10:05 PM

most likely through that image posted:
http://arzuk.dyndns.org:85/dvhrld/img/fake.gif

General2k
12-17-2006, 10:08 PM

most likely through that image posted:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Your smart. I have access to log files witch contain ip address that accessed that image file.

lysine
12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
it would be very easy to insert a transparent .gif into a post or private message, and you wouldn't even see it. bam, they have your IP address right away...

Shadowfire
12-17-2006, 10:11 PM
.... remind me to always use proxies when planning to trade at this site ...

General2k
12-17-2006, 10:12 PM
it would be very easy to insert a transparent .gif into a post or private message, and you wouldn't even see it. bam, they have your IP address right away...
It doesnt even have to be transparent it could be a 1x1 pixel, a smiley anything that isnt text pretty much.

Panther
12-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Alien5 and Panther you two posted kinda close together so I think its like this.
Alien5 - xxx.xxx.xxx.165
Pather - xxx.xxx.xxx.112

Hows that?

not quite, my ip ends with 165 but there is dot beetwen the numbers and there are not 12 numbers... but maby the dot dont matter and you mixed them...what do I know...:lol: :wacko:

General2k
12-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Oops I was close I guess there is some difference in the time on this computer and the server wherever it is.
But I was close as you see it is easy to pinpoint the Address down to a couple users, and as the thread goes on down to the person trading/giving

Panther
12-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah, didnt realize it was so "easy" for the people that know their sheit...

Is their anything the normal user can do so this isnt possible?

RainRoofer
12-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Wait, if you posted picture, how does it log our ip adress ?

General2k
12-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Panther you could use a proxy to browse this page, thats the only thing I can think of.
Corey when you access anything your ip address is logged into a log file for example
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [17/Dec/2006:14:26:22 -0800] "GET <some file> HTTP/1.1" 200 81940

Shadowfire
12-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for informing us, dvhrld. Didn't know people would do that just to get a ban in.

RainRoofer
12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
So, even my ip is loged into your avatar or mine ?

midospirit
12-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Wait, if you posted picture, how does it log our ip adress ?

yes how?:unsure:

General2k
I dont know if that is how they did it but that is one of the possibilities.
The last time there was a ban like this I told people how it was done and no one beleived me, and told me it was not possible. Well now I just proved it is possible.

Shadowfire
You can get the server host to log IPs for you, but not all log them, and even if they do, the normal user can't access them.

But yeah, some things can log your IPs. For example, there are services that help people see IPs of people who access their Xanga blogs.

Panther
12-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Panther you could use a proxy to browse this page, thats the only thing I can think of.
Corey when you access anything your ip address is logged into a log file for example
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [17/Dec/2006:14:26:22 -0800] "GET <some file> HTTP/1.1" 200 81940

hmmm ok, and a proxy is what? :unsure:

Shadowfire
12-17-2006, 10:36 PM
A service that spoofs your IP. Private trackers can detect them and ban you for using them, so don't bother using them at their sites. But I guess you can use it at this site if you plan to trade. There are tons of lists of public anonymizing proxies. Just Google.

Panther
12-17-2006, 10:49 PM
ok thanks, will check this out

Detale
12-17-2006, 11:12 PM
WOW Thanks for the explanation dude. The man is a genius. 5hit i guess we all have to watch out then huh? dvhrld since you're so smart would it be possible to find out who is reporting everyone here?

Shadowfire
12-17-2006, 11:14 PM
It could directly be a mod or admin there, since I see no posts in their publicity thread about this.

//: Although I don't exactly understand why they would take away invites for giving them away to good -trusted- users who show good ratio proofs. It's not trading at all, and it can potentially bring in good members.

General2k
12-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Yes Detale if they used this method it would be possible to narrow it down to a few users. I started to do it to your thread and out of the first 2 pages I came out with a possibility of 4 users, and quite there because I didnt want to start pointing fingers and false accusations.

Shadowfire
12-17-2006, 11:39 PM
What logic would allow you to figure out who's ratting just by their IPs?

General2k
12-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Not by their IPs. There were alot of Ratio proofs posted there. Most used image hosting services, such as Photobucket or the like. Some used private websites where they could quite possibly look at the log files. Similar to how I did it. Now it could be a transparent gif, a very small image (1X1 pixel), or it could have even been someone ratio proof.
But pinpointing it down to the correct user is the difficult part.

It cant be their avatar since it is accessed from the FST site.
If you look at the properties of the avatar its address is
hxxp://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/image.php?<blah blah blah some numbers>

kavalchuk17
12-17-2006, 11:48 PM
haha. dvhrld, you are the man. :D

Alien5
12-17-2006, 11:50 PM
It could directly be a mod or admin there, since I see no posts in their publicity thread about this.

//: Although I don't exactly understand why they would take away invites for giving them away to good -trusted- users who show good ratio proofs. It's not trading at all, and it can potentially bring in good members.

it can also potentially bring in some cheating members, i think they must be fed up with all the bad users who have got in.

Shadowfire
12-17-2006, 11:56 PM
But logically, wouldn't people who invite those who have shown good ratio proof invite more good users than someone who invites people they know in real life that don't exactly understand the concept of sharing? Or, at least the probably would be even? At least the invites aren't traded. I dunno, maybe my logic is just screwed up.

Btw, dvhrld, you could be an excellent network security professor. =)

General2k
12-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Btw, dvhrld, you could be an excellent network security professor. =)
I really would rather not get into the computer business. Fixing my computer I have no problem with doing that. When I start fixing computers for others I start to get frustrated and feel pressured that I have to get it done quickly. I actually went to college for a year to get into computers and said screw this, I either knew more than the professors or wasnt interested in the class itself.But thanks for the compliment.
I really enjoy what I do for a living.

Alien5
12-18-2006, 12:06 AM
But logically, wouldn't people who invite those who have shown good ratio proof invite more good users than someone who invites people they know in real life that don't exactly understand the concept of sharing? Or, at least the probably would be even? At least the invites aren't traded. I dunno, maybe my logic is just screwed up.

Btw, dvhrld, you could be an excellent network security professor. =)no your logic is not screwed up. people who invite those who they have met in a public forum like this one, are the people who are being targeted as unable to be trusted with invites. i have had invites taken off of me, and warned before, but after inviting one of my best friends in real life, he failed to keep a good ratio or even login to his account to check his ratio, people like this dont understand torrent invites and private sites.

Submission
12-18-2006, 04:16 AM
uh that doesn't help you. How do you differentiate from browsers and posters?

man2069us
12-18-2006, 05:53 AM
I finally managed to get an account at f*n yesterday at long last but it was disabled after a few minutes of being traded because the guy i made the trade with uses the same id here as he does on f*n and he had made a thread here with the id offering his account for trade. So I guess that would have been a real easy target.

Btw since this account was banned immediately after a few minutes after he made the thread/trade because of his rookie mistake of using same ids do u think it is fair i shud ask the account that i traded with him back. That was my most precious account yet and the only reason i traded it was i was desperate for f*n.

General2k
12-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Just keep on monitoring posts whose viewing the thread and eventually you find out what each members ips are. Im not saying thats the way FTN did it here. Im just saying its a possibility.

Submission
12-18-2006, 05:59 AM
so if they do this, then we can narrow down ftn spies by who posts in the thread.

Can you enable your signature in pm's? So you look at a pm and BAM you nailed the guy's ip?

Submission
12-18-2006, 06:02 AM
ok in options you can completely disable avatars, signatures and something else.

General2k
12-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Maybe everyone needs to start using invisible mode, and turn off the IMG codes.
Avatars are fine because they go through FST site first so you arent getting your ip logged. But I dont know all the answers this was just a theory, I proved what I wanted to. And Ill say it again, This may not be the way they found out who Detale was.

General2k
12-18-2006, 06:26 AM
Double Post

General2k
12-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Wow Triple Post

sert
12-18-2006, 10:46 AM
OK I will list the facts:

- if you trade with same username with here or the person you trade with has the same username with here you are helpless

- if you post a screenshot of your account with exact details you may be in trouble even if you erased your name (exact details: R: 1.051 U: Seeding 143.61 GB D: Leeching 136.61 GB)

- finally regarding images: everything is true. Even with a small smiley your IP gets tracked so easy. If someone has the simplest site he can upload any picture from his site and then see what IPs loaded the image.

WHAT TO DO: do not switch off avatar etc. Instead use firefox with this extension (http://imglikeopera.mozdev.org/)
So you will only load images from the site you are visiting only, or from the images found in your internet cache. Now if you want to see an image not belonging to FST, just right click and select load. Of course it has the option of allow/disallow all images to load when you are in certain webpages etc. Don't miss this extension.

Alternatively if you don't need the extension and just need to load only images originating from here only when you are here (you prefer to load all images in all other sites except this one or in couple of others) open firefox, type in address bar:
about:config and then look for:
permissions.default.image and change the value from 1 (load all imgs) to 3 (load images from the originating site only)

nihility
12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
man thats helpful,
GW :)

lysine
12-18-2006, 06:58 PM
WHAT TO DO:

or you could just respect their wishes and not trade the invites/accounts :blink:

Backslash
12-18-2006, 07:03 PM
WHAT TO DO:

or you could just respect their wishes and not trade the invites/accounts :blink:

Alien5
12-18-2006, 07:09 PM
:blink:

Melvinmeow
12-18-2006, 07:29 PM
WHAT TO DO:

WOW what an unusual concept ;)