PDA

View Full Version : Disney To Begin Renting 'self-destructing' Dvds

sharedholder
05-16-2003, 09:36 PM
WOOOOAW , RIIA ,MPPA and now come out Disney.Let the fun begin .http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=2760176

Proper Bo
05-16-2003, 09:39 PM
:lol: That's some funny s**t. Even if that did happen, people would work a way around it!

Skillian
05-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Doesn't really have anything to do with copying or filesharing - they can still be copied like any other DVD. The only thing it will do is stop you getting late fees at the rental store - sounds like a good thing.

amphoteric88
05-16-2003, 10:56 PM
removed

Darth Sushi
05-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Sounds like the start of Mission Impossible (the DVD will self-destruct in 5 sec). :lol:

4play
05-16-2003, 11:30 PM
why do they want to do this.

This makes a mockery of the record industries claims that cds are priced reasonably.

If these people can charge less for a disc like this that is gonna break after a few days how the hell can they charge £13 for a cd that costs nothing to make.

just a though :rolleyes:

Paul_NFFC
05-17-2003, 12:27 AM
thats just plain stupid :lol:

ah well i myself hate disney movies anyway so it wont really affect me

amphoteric88
05-17-2003, 12:31 AM
removed

XSpikeX
05-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@17 May 2003 - 00:31
i've been thinking about this in the back of my mind for a little while.
how exactly do the shops which rent out the dvd's stop them from decaying?
are they stored in an atmosphere with no oxidising agents when they're in the shop?
or do they just get thrown away when they've been rented once?
I just saw something on the news on TechTV about this. It's just a DVD stored in an air tight containter. You crack the container to get the DVD out. After a set amount of hours (something to do with the chemicles) the DVD will break/stop working/done for. You don't return it to the video store, you just keep it till it stops working. And they said that when you rent these it'll cost 1-2 dollars more.

amphoteric88
05-17-2003, 09:52 PM
removed

Schmiggy_JK23
05-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Shit, oh well for that week long "Little Mermaid Marathon Slumber Party" i was gonna have in a few weeks.... ;)

XSpikeX
05-17-2003, 09:59 PM
One good thing is if someone finds a cheap way to stop the destruction you can just stop it then keep the DVD forever since they don't expect it back ;o).

amphoteric88
05-17-2003, 10:05 PM
removed

Schmiggy_JK23
05-17-2003, 10:24 PM
definately, im calling my congressman monday, first thing... my guy and girl friends will all be so disapointed... its usually an annual event... :(

RedRival
05-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Disney is getting Senile, no doubt. I have completely no idea how this would work out.
How would a disc be considered 'rented' if the store renting it out is never going to get it back??
This is plain dumb and near the end, they say that the DVD can still be manipulated (burnt, copied) during the first 48 hours, so what's the use of this??

SO that people will rent more but never return the discs?? I would stick to using disney's finance for researching on better alternatives then to waste a whole lot of DVDs with funny chemicals on it and have a truckload of blacked out DVDs in the trash. Shows us how wasteful and spoilt Disney is with their capital, wasting DVDs like that. MIckey Mouse is not gonna save you on this one Disney!!

huuramis
05-18-2003, 10:29 AM
does thismean i can try burn it, and then it blows up in my face and i can claim compo ? ??

:D The way of the wog.

ooopz, i just red that thing, and i didnt notice it sais that after 24 hours it dont work.... but u can burn it anyways...BUT do they really blow up ? if so, i will be claiming compo all da time =-D

Bass
05-18-2003, 10:48 AM
yeh......and an even bigger hole in the ozone layer no doubt when they dispose of these discs!!!
Nice one Disney, thats very ecologically sound of you!!!
Who the f@#ks gonna hire a disc thats gonna cost more money and knacker after a while......it`s like shopping for frozen food, we`ll have to rush home before it melts. :lol:

cheers,
Bass.

Kid1A
05-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Come ON THE TOON! :)

waisyarzi
05-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Oh well who cares. Just make a copy of the dvd and you dont need to be worried about it. Or put one of the plastic coats that are meant to protect your cd from scratches on it. It will stop any oxygen getting in. If you dont wanna do either just use kazaa;-) BTW i dont think the enviromentalists will allow this. Oh if someone finds a way around it then....we will start having dvds for around £3 which is what they really should be priced at.

Spicker
05-18-2003, 02:01 PM
loooooooooooooooool lol lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: self destructing videos thats just jks :lol: man wat is this world comin tooo???????lol

Got_brains?
05-18-2003, 09:52 PM
I think its pretty cool! :flame:

six
05-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Is it bio-degradable?

AMON
05-19-2003, 03:20 AM
I don't think this will catch on.

1. I'm sure the rental stores make plenty of $$$ from late fees so this will dip into their profits.

2. If they're gonna raise the price of only a 2 day rental people are only going to rent the returnable version except for a few people who consistantly return their movies late.

3. I can't see these being very cost effective for Disney or the other companies unless they jack up the price (which they probably are) and the rental stores won't like that either.

kildred11
05-19-2003, 08:03 AM
They'll only loose a ton of money from this. Making a DVD that can only be used once. That is the stupidest use of capital I have ever heard. Any copier will copy a DVD in te first hours rented, this will only raise costs of rentals. Why doesn't the Aviation industry make airplanes that self destruct after 48 hours? That way the leasees won't have to worry about returning them before their lease expires.

Aussie1
05-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the Info

-=Hellfire=-
05-21-2003, 10:22 AM
If its a popular movie being rented ie The Lion King. wont Disney have to send out s*%tloads of these DVDs to each store!?
Just for the record i hated the lion king.

Razz
05-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by six@18 May 2003 - 23:35
Is it bio-degradable?
it had better be imagine if this become the norm the world would be full of useless dvds that cannot be reused thats a serious ecological worry and we do after all live in a world that is already on the brink of ecological disaster and the idiots decide to bring something like this out :(

SolidWing68
05-21-2003, 12:18 PM
sickening...

3RA1N1AC
05-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by SolidWing68@21 May 2003 - 04:18
sickening...
agreed. it's ridiculous and environmentally irresponsible. if i were the gambling type, i would bet that this scheme never actually reaches store shelves because someone in the company will realize that it's an idiotic plan. and it sounds a lot like circuit city's ill-conceived DIVX (the pay-per-view DVD, not the mpeg-4 that we all know and love).

qasw1234edf
05-22-2003, 06:07 PM
what if i buy one of those air tight food saver things? or could i just stick the dvd under water. too keep it from dying, that is so retarded though. disney sucks and always will.

technotaz
05-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by qasw1234edf@22 May 2003 - 19:07
what if i buy one of those air tight food saver things? or could i just stick the dvd under water. too keep it from dying, that is so retarded though. disney sucks and always will.
the air tight container may slow down the process...but not much i guess..
as for dipping it underwater, i think it would still self-destruct coz there's oxygen in water too..
unless maybe we could dip it in other kind of liquids...
but then...itz still a dumb idea isnt it?
having to go to tat much trouble jus to keep ur fav dvd...
crazy morons... :rolleyes: <_<

ShareDaddy
05-22-2003, 07:08 PM
It is more closely akin to the old silume light sticks, once cracked and mixed the chemicals burn themselves out in a certain amount of time, some used to say you could extend the life by freezing them, however that never worked in my own personal tests. I would have to assume that even in a vacuum that these discs are going to become inoperable once they have been opened. I would also have to assume that they would have to be biodegradable, anything apart from that would have Greenpeace and all other environmental type folks up in arms. I really do not see the actual video rental stores providing this type of media, this would more apply itself to the ever growing world of internet rentals, that is you rent them from a place via the internet, they arrive via UPS and you return them via UPS. One place currently allows you to rent as many as possible in one month for a flat fee of 20.00 dollars US, however there is a limit on how many at one time and you do have return them prior to renting more. This particular type of media would negate the return trip as well as possibly increase your limit. Who knows but this could be the future, we just need to be prepared for anything I guess.