PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Book

Curley
05-16-2003, 11:15 PM
As per title. Its a hard choice, something i'm going to have to think about.

Just thought this forum needed another discussion :P

Skweeky
05-16-2003, 11:21 PM
My favourite book at the moment must be 'Spider' by Patrick McGrath.
It's the darkest and most depressing book I've ever read and I've never felt more fooled than when I read the end of this book. It's absolutely brillant!!

dingoBaby
05-17-2003, 12:06 AM
One of my favorite books is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. A terrific read. I highly recommend it and most of Irving's other books including The World According to Garp.

chalice
05-17-2003, 12:22 AM
Compelled to agree about Irving, especially Garp. The Undertoad tugs at us all. I must, however, expound the genius of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. One Hundred Years Of Solitude ranks among the most life-affecting novels of our times. I urge you all to indulge yourselves in magnificent magical-realism. His literature, even in translation, encircles human experience sublimely intimated. I'm an Irishman and Garcia is a South American yet my daughter is named in reverence to a novella of his entitled, "The sad and incredible tale of innocent Erendira and her heartless grandmother". If you can find it you will have enriched your lives.

imported_QuietSilence!
05-17-2003, 05:58 AM
curent favrit is a series the valdamar series by Lackey, Mercedes

but i reserver the right to change my mind at any time :)

and probly will by the time i read this thread again :)

botts
05-17-2003, 03:14 PM
so many books to choose from, such a difficult decision...my all time favourite book...perhaps duncton wood by william horwood, but a close second would be dirt music by tim winton

botts

J'Pol
05-17-2003, 03:29 PM
If forced to chose my favourite and there are so many to chose from

God Bless You Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut

As to why - as discussed elsewhere it is the book that started me reading. It is also an awesome novel by the greatest ever American author.

Luca_Snipes
05-17-2003, 04:39 PM
With so many books out there chosing just one is hard, for a series it would be Stephen Donaldson's Gap series, for a single book - "Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana" or "Ian Irvine - The Way Between Worlds"

WeeMouse
05-17-2003, 05:51 PM
The hobbit remains at the top of the mouse book-list!

:)

ClubDiggler
05-17-2003, 08:30 PM
I don't have a favorite book, but I have a favorite author...

Nelson Demille

Very good read!!! B)

Bass
05-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Don`t know why, but off the top of me head...Midnight Express springs to mind. Good book but I`m sure if I thought about it there`d be 1 better.
cheers,
Bass.

Tyke
05-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Currently reading Netherworld: Discovering the Oracle of the Dead by Robert Temple.

Non-Fiction but a great book detailing the author's (and his predecessors) archeological explorations of the site which may have been the mythical Hades.

Curley
05-17-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm still not sure but the two that stand out at the moment are 'Lucifer's Hammer' by Larry Niven & Jerry Purenell and 'The Stand' by Stephen King.

I've read so many that I can't keep track of them all!

Rat Faced
05-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Time Enough For Love

Robert Heinlein

thegroggman
05-17-2003, 11:46 PM
Well I enjoy just about anything from Michael Crichton, but if I had to pick a favorite book..it would probably be Geeks by Jon Katz. A charming story about two boys from Idaho...