PDA

View Full Version : s-video

Submission
12-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Has anyone ever hooked up a computer to your TV with an s-video cable? I am wondering on the quality on the TV screen with xvid movies or dvd's from my computer.

geen
12-19-2006, 03:02 PM
I can tell you, its not that great. You'll probably need to use a kind of keystone correction to get the movie correctly played.(nvidia offers this in their drivers, ati probably 2) Using it to browse you desktop isnt that great either because of the resolution used by your tv, reading text is allmost impossible. Besides that you cant play movies on an external screen because of some copy protection, it allways gave me a black videowindow (used many software players). You can solve this by configuring your tv as the primary monitor but this means you cant play movies on your pc-screen anymore unless you change it back.

My advise is to get yourself a cheap 40-60 euro dvd player with xvid/divx support. (my post is based on an old tv, new digital (hd) tv's probably have better support)

lee551
12-19-2006, 10:55 PM
me and some friends hooked a laptop up to my tv to watch some movies. on the laptop it recognized the tv as a second monitor and making the movie full screen on it made a pretty decent picture imho. we even watched a streaming football game thru tvuplayer on it. :lol:

i also use a divx dvd player, but sometimes movies are encoded poorly and then the alternatives are to hope progressive scan shapes it up or the s-video route.

stever
12-22-2006, 11:42 PM
i do it all the time -- with a movie you can't tell the quality sucks, but on your desktop you'll most def notice. Go to a local electronics store -- they'll have some better options for you to connect your computer to your TV.

Algerinò
12-26-2006, 02:32 AM
I use it all th time, and I'm getting hi quality on my TV.
get a good s-video cable, I mean spend a few more $ to get better quality, they're not expensive though.

Fulanito
12-26-2006, 02:38 AM
I use it all th time, and I'm getting hi quality on my TV.
get a good s-video cable, I mean spend a few more $ to get better quality, they're not expensive though.

yeah spend some more on that cable :D u wont regret ;)

popwar
12-27-2006, 12:03 AM
yea. but buy another cable to hook up for sound or else u wont get any.