PDA

View Full Version : Sheesh!

Chewie
12-20-2006, 01:07 AM
I was approached by an apprentice at work last week, who was after a remote diagnosis on his system.
He'd bought a new case and motherboard and assembled everything but when he pushed the power button the fans spin and stop straight away.
Of course I told him I couldn't say what the problem was without looking at it.

Well he brought it in and I looked at it the other night.
I spent all evening removing everything (including RAM) and even trying the mobo on the table in case it was shorting to the case.
It wasn't until I put it all back together and, scratching my head, decided to make sure he'd fitted the processor properly... no bent pins etc.

I was quite surprised at what I found...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9753/dsc00016rr4.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00016rr4.jpg)

I went to see him yesterday and asked whether he'd bought the mobo with or without the CPU.
"What's a CPU?"
"The processor"
"What's a processor?"

Sheesh!

S!X
12-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Noobs :no: :dabs: I must say that videocard heatsink is quite interesting :blink:

Chewie
12-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I had to laugh at the idea... give it a bit o' bling in the box but they stick it on the wrong way up so you can't read it!
MSI - Muppet Systems International?

Virtualbody1234
12-20-2006, 02:01 AM
This can't be true. :frusty:

Skiz
12-20-2006, 02:32 AM
He knew enough to put it together, but didn't know what a processor was? :wacko:

lynx
12-20-2006, 11:59 AM
It's the week before Christmas, not Easter. :noes:

mr. nails
12-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I was approached by an apprentice at work last week...

no way this happened. even ignorant ppl know to do something with a cpu slot and this guy was an "apprentice"?

Chewie
12-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Apprentice Truck Fitters aren't known for their acumen.
He's a nice lad, though - just a bit wet behind the ears.

Virtualbody1234
12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Why would he have installed a heatsink?

Snee
12-20-2006, 08:12 PM
I've been helping someone with his computer recently. It took me a while to figure out that the cpu he kept talking about was the NB, and before that I had to explain to him which card in his chassis was the mobo.

It's easy to forgot how hard these things can be for some people, however kewl the same people might be, otherwise.

There are absolute idiots who can't cope with it as well, but let's not go there, for now.

EDit: Actually, let's do that. The effing scamtards at the repair shop he went to (he lives pretty far away, and I couldn't take time off to come and help him) made him buy a new mobo 'cos they "didn't dare" reattach the NB heatsink, which had come loose.

Rather than at least trying it, they just declared it as impossible. And then, when windows wouldn't let him migrate his static ip to the new, built in, ethernet card, the only advice they had was to reformat and reinstall. Bunch of arsemonkeys :dry:

Chewie
12-20-2006, 10:46 PM
People ask me why I don't work in IT and I tell them it's because I don't have any important looking bits of paper saying I know what I'm doing.

Yet I hear stories like yours and I'm all FFS!

lynx
12-21-2006, 01:01 AM
People ask me why I don't work in IT and I tell them it's because I don't have any important looking bits of paper saying I know what I'm doing.

Yet I hear stories like yours and I'm all FFS!I do work in IT, and the biggest problem is the people who have the important looking bits of paper, because most of them don't know what they are doing either.

It's the usual case that if the problem doesn't match exactly what the book says then they are lost. And half the time the book is wrong anyway.

Skillz808
12-21-2006, 02:10 AM
LMAo that is funny.

I have a couple dumb moments with people i helped out lol.

My buddy good freind of mine wanted to put all the parts to his first custom built pc together and when he did and pushed the power button it would go whack, of course he forgot to put the spaces between the board so the board was shorting out lol.

Another thing this lady called me for support when i worked for dell as a rep for them asking me about her internet. She said that she couldtn get any connection so i went through all the steps and so forth and we got nowhere so finally i told her to call her isp and she said what is a isp? i said the internet company you pay to get the internet from, she said who would that be ? i go the company you called and ordered it through and she said i never ordered it lol. i was like wtf mate? wow that solved the problem lol.

Colt Seevers
12-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Aye that's a cracker alright! :D