PDA

View Full Version : A Beginner's Guide to Newsgroups and Usenet

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I was wondering if it were possible for someone to post sort of a beginner's guide to downloading files (binaries?) from UseNet clients such as UseNext.

I would see this client UseNext everywhere so i fugued I'd give it a try. It was as simple as any p2p program; Install and begin searching and downloading. Unfortunately the rest of the newsgroup file (binary?) downloading world is not so easy.

So what are newsgroups all about anyway?

The following are questions that I would prefer be answered in layman's terms if you would be so inclined to do so.

There are two types of newsgroups, information sharing and file sharing(binary downloads?)?
To download file (binaries?) from newsgroups you must have an UseNet server installed? If so, how do you install a newsgroup server, Is it free?
If all the above is true, once you've installed your UseNet server and downloaded a newsgroup/Usenet client you have to find free servers or newsgroups that allow binary downloads and only then can you start searching and downloading?
Is there a free alternative to UseNext that is as easy as it is?

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 12:51 PM
There are two types of newsgroups, information sharing and file sharing(binary downloads?)?
I guess you mean that there are binary groups and TXT groups. Binaries are just encoded files that you download and decode into whatever the file type is.
The text part is discussions etc. (what the NG's really is).

To download file (binaries?) from newsgroups you must have an UseNet server installed? If so, how do you install a newsgroup server, Is it free?
You don't install a server. You install a client such as Grabit (Grabit is free) and use that to download from a Usenet server.

If all the above is true, once you've installed your UseNet server and downloaded a newsgroup/Usenet client you have to find free servers or newsgroups that allow binary downloads and only then can you start searching and downloading?
There are no GOOD free usenet servers. Pay for it and you get quality.

Is there a free alternative to UseNext that is as easy as it is?
Nope.
And take a look on this thread before you jump on to the Usenext train:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/newsgroups/t-usenext-126330/?highlight=usenext

This is just my opinion and I have never used Usenext (I use Giganews and Newsbin client): I would never thrust Usenext as they are advertising like hell about free downloads etc. and you easily see are "warez". There is no serious newsprovider that do this. They are even advertising on crack sites etc.

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 12:58 PM
So i'm just not gonna get any good newsgroup downloads if I don't pay monthly?

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Maybe your ISP got newsservers... The retention and copletion rates will suck though.
You got something called Yottanews (http://www.yottanews.com/) too... slow speed and not so good retention.

Point is that you should sign up if you are going to use newsgroups as your mainsource for getting "stuff" since you then get 90+ day retention and usually no broken files that a PAR set cannot fix.

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Retention
and
Copletion Rates please

Also how do i find out if my ISP's got newsgroup servers.

Skiz
12-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Supposedly this (http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/newsgroupguide/)is the best guide for newsgroups. I've seen it posted here several times, but it didn't help me figure it out though. I've never been able to get newsgroups working.

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Retention - How long an article is kept on the server before it is deleted.

Completion rate - % completeness of files on the server (not missing parts etc.)

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
What do you use Miltiforce?

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Giganews as provider and NewsbinPro as client.

Newshosting is cheaper and are also good (haven't used them myself)

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 03:36 PM
How much do you pay a month?
I couldn't help but notice on the top right corner of this website
"Never pay for File Sharing!"

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't care about the "not paying"-thing as I want quality ;)

I pay $24.99 a month.
When I always have max speed down and things are uploaded very fast to usenet I don't mind paying.

RealitY
12-21-2006, 05:26 PM
The best and most reliable are NewsHosting and GigaNews which we are affiliates for both...

To support the site and signup with NewsHosting this is our refferral link
http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500

To support the site and signup with GigaNews this is our refferral link
http://www.giganews.com/?a=fst

thedude0
12-21-2006, 05:48 PM
How much do you pay a month?
I couldn't help but notice on the top right corner of this website
"Never pay for File Sharing!"

Never pay for file sharing should be never pay for p2p.

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Honestly I think the whole idea of file sharing is so we can get stuff for free. I would never pay for music- movies- applications- etc. period.

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Giganews as provider and NewsbinPro as client.

Newshosting is cheaper and are also good (haven't used them myself)
[edit]nevermind
im gonna do the giganews 3 day trial thing.

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
yup

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 06:07 PM
so all together how much do u pay?
Giganews in itself is 24 dollars a month

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 06:15 PM
NewsbinPro was $35 and that includes free updates fr the rest of it's lifetime.

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Once I've signed up for Giganews, installed Newsbin Pro and run the program what do i do first?

Add newsgroups? If so, how do I do this?
Should I do a search for newsgroups that carry the kind of files I want? (Why isn't this automatic?)
If so, once I find the newsgroups how do i add them and start downloading?

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Once I've signed up for Giganews, installed Newsbin Pro and run the program what do i do first?

Add newsgroups? If so, how do I do this?
Should I do a search for newsgroups that carry the kind of files I want? (Why isn't this automatic?)
If so, once I find the newsgroups how do i add them and start downloading?

After installingNewsbin Pro you setup the server address (from mail from Giganews).
You might right click Unsorted in the "Groups:" tab and select add group to add a group. Then you right click the group and select download headers.
Just find groups like alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.techno for techno music etc. Some groups have all sorts of content.
You might just grab a NZB file from this forum and load in in Newsbin.

You can also search with search engines like www.binsearch.info, www.lewzleech.com etc.