PDA

View Full Version : Viruses in Pirated Windows CDs

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 12:13 PM
For as long as i could remember I've been using p2p programs to download my windows CDs and install windows. I have a legit key, but i just lost my CD.

I was wondering; Is it possible for The original source of that CD to have put his or her own little viruses in the windows files?
Is this a concern for anyone else?

MultiForce
12-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes it is possible, and not I'm not concerned.

As long as you use verified links etc. it shouldn't be a problem.

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Verified links?

peat moss
12-21-2006, 02:24 PM
A lot of times a little surprise is included ,in the form of a Trojan . I think the benefits out way the little gifts tho , If I don't like it I can always pay for the program .

Links ? Try any Bittorrent program or search this forum .

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 02:27 PM
A lot of times a little surprise is included ,in the form of a Trojan . I think the benefits out way the little gifts tho , If I don't like it I can always pay for the program .

So you're saying downloading from a bittorrent will ensure that I don't get viruses?
I scanned the CD for viruses already, but I wasn't sure if it would show up as viruses or adware since its built in. U know what I mean?

zapjb
12-21-2006, 03:01 PM

So you're saying downloading from a bittorrent will ensure that I don't get viruses?
I scanned the CD for viruses already, but I wasn't sure if it would show up as viruses or adware since its built in. U know what I mean?
No assurance.

I'd think it'd show up. And I'd use at least 1 rootkit detector. And I'd install on a spare HDD. Disconnect from internet & run these scans.

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 03:03 PM
"rootkit detector"?

zapjb
12-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Google is your friend.

Sneakydave
12-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Dont worry about it, just grab a scene release from a torrent site or whatever and use that, dunno why this lot are trying to scare you. Ive been using downloaded OS's for 8 years and never had a problem.

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Google is your friend.
Discussion boards are also my friend.
That one was VERY original BTW.

This is why we are here busy; to discuss.
They aren't called look and then google and not discuss boards.

Dont worry about it, just grab a scene release from a torrent site or whatever and use that, dunno why this lot are trying to scare you. Ive been using downloaded OS's for 8 years and never had a problem.Thanks bro.
What's a scene release?

Basquiat
12-21-2006, 10:52 PM
http://nforce.nl/

sinjix_media
12-21-2006, 10:55 PM
I did a search for the file i wanted on that site and clicked on the link to the file, bu tall i got was an option to click and save the.nfo file.
What's up with that?

MultiForce
12-22-2006, 12:10 AM
I did a search for the file i wanted on that site and clicked on the link to the file, bu tall i got was an option to click and save the.nfo file.
What's up with that?

It just lists NFO files (info files from releases). You cannot download or anything through the site. It shows what's out and not.

peat moss
12-22-2006, 01:57 AM
I just D/L 'd Demoniod XP Spectacular last week and I'm quite impressed , over 3 gb of programs included . You burn to a DVD and install no need for keys or WGA problems .

It was a hoot installing as the comments were pretty good on the setup screen . A lot of time and effort was put in to that release.

gamer4eva
12-22-2006, 02:21 AM
I have original windows XP licence and if i installed these with my licence would it pose a problem?

peat moss
12-22-2006, 02:31 AM
I have original windows XP licence and if i installed these with my licence would it pose a problem?

If its a Pro Corp version , no problem .

zapjb
12-22-2006, 04:04 AM
In other words. It will be a problem.

I bet you don't have a Corp/VLK license.

I bet you have a home or pro license. Which will not work.

btw all Corp/VLK are Pro. But not all Pro are Corp/VLK.