PDA

View Full Version : Linux uTorrent in Linux. (Debian)

bb05
12-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Things to be installed.
1. Wine
2. Desktop
3. VNC
4. utorrent

First, add repository for Wine: gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following lines at the end of this file # Repository for wine
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main
deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main

Save the edited file sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine
2. Next, we install the desktop.
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

since its really not a good idea to have a root user session continuously open, i HIGHLY suggest making a new user and using their desktop to use. This way, if it happens that you do managed to have someone get into the vnc session, they cant do anything ;)

useradd <username> <password>
cd /home/<username>
mkdir Desktop
chmod 777 Desktop

Next we want to allow additional repositories to install vnc server.

This site is well trusted and im sure most of you are familiar with it.
http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu#How_to_add_extra_repositories

Next, Install vncserver

apt-get install vnc4server

Next, logout of root and login to the other account you made.
After loggin in, vnc4server -geometrxy 1024x768 -depth 24

This will prompt you to create a password:

Password:
Verify:

Now you can type "vnc4server -geometry 1024x768" without quotes into terminal and now you can login using vnc client.
To do this, use your server's Ip address and the vnc's session id to login.

Here is an example:
127.0.0.1:1

After doing so, you will be prompted to put in the password you put in earlier for vnc.

Now, start Firefox, goto the utorrent website and download utorrent. start up a new terminal, and just wine where u saved utorrent. For the tutorial sake, we'll say we saved utorrent.exe to the desktop. Start-up a terminial session and cd your way to Desktop. then wine utorrent.exe and voila you got utorrent running in linux ;)

Hope this helps some of you fellow uploaders out there. ;)

Comments are welcomed.

C[a]N
12-24-2006, 06:18 PM
thx...

4play
12-28-2006, 03:46 PM
this seems a bit odd to me. why would you need vnc to run utorrent and if your gonna be using it as a remote seed box then vnc is gonna run like shit since your gonna be uploading so much.

Assad
01-15-2007, 11:09 PM
thanks

wasdqr
02-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm on ubuntu, and I like utorrent.. So I might do this, I use azureus at the moment and it isn't very good IMO.

ilikechikin
02-02-2007, 02:08 AM
I'm on ubuntu, and I like utorrent.. So I might do this, I use azureus at the moment and it isn't very good IMO.
Try kTorrent. It aims to be a lot like uTorrent I think. Not as many features but you don't have to go through wine and you still go with the open source stuff :)

organizm
02-02-2007, 07:11 PM
..why use utorrent on a seed box? There is an excellent cli/ncurses client called rTorrent, (you do not need X and VNC running). If you want a GUI try torrentflux, at least it runs natively....
Thanks for the Howto though.

dbk927
02-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Try kTorrent. It aims to be a lot like uTorrent I think. Not as many features but you don't have to go through wine and you still go with the open source stuff :)

I agree, kTorrent is excellent, and it comes with peerguardian/safepeer type protection already running. I use it exclusively on my linux box at home.

Eazil
02-21-2007, 09:04 PM
When you download the file completed ktorrent seed very bad, very few upload. Better azureus, bittornado...

Here a guide of bittorrent clients http://www.slyck.com/bt.php?page=2

fourier
02-22-2007, 11:57 PM
I can recommend kTorrent also. most private trackers support it , too

ilikechikin
02-23-2007, 01:21 AM
kTorrent is still a little buggy/feature-poor. I guess the buggy part could be from using a KDE app in Gnome, but it lacks a lot of basic features (setting speeds on individual torrents). I've switched to Azureus for now.

tyr4
02-26-2007, 05:08 AM
utorrent works great via wine.

superguy
03-03-2007, 11:04 PM
linux is not so good compared with win sys with respect to convenience

Dr0
03-07-2007, 04:16 PM
My Linux system works fine. In fact, my windows has spit its dummy out and won't activate, even though its fully legal, all i did was change the graphics card and add a HDD, I've now decided to just remove the windows, and stick with the Linux.

Linux is just different, once you get used to it, its 10x more convenient. IMHO.

anandp
03-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Windows Xp is a Evergreen os of windows platform as compared to linux

so utorrent works with windows is very fast.

WHRST
03-15-2007, 12:46 AM
thanks for this, i am starting to use ubuntu

TorrenTy
04-12-2007, 09:01 AM
does this info works also on fedora or it meant just for debian?

earthcrosser
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
If you dual-boot Windows and Linux on one machine, you can also use the same utorrent on both, so you can continue seeding when you boot into the other OS.

You just need a partition with read-and-write access under both OS, like fat32 or ext2 using the fs-driver.org driver for Windows. Then you set the driver letter for that partition in Wine to the same letter it has on Windows, and put utorrent (along with its configuration files in the same directory) and all .torrent files and data files of the torrents on that partition.

g1p124
07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
cant find package xubuntu-desktop. Help please! need source

4play
07-25-2007, 03:08 PM
are you sure your using ubuntu as a server?
might be worth checking to see which repositories you have selected as well.

dreamtracker
08-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Thx for the tutorial ;)
....one question!
i have buy linux server remote(ubuntu 6.0.6)from softlayer
the server no have GUI (is not supported,,, the softlayer says this )
is possible run utorrent anyway?
for my problem the tutorial is ok?

thx in advance

Artemis
08-16-2007, 11:49 PM
You need to find out from softlayer whether the server can support xorg server or whether it is commandline only. It seems very odd though in this day and age that a provider would be offering a server that does not support GUI. But the short answer is if it can support an Xserver then you can run utorrent on the server through wine and configure it via VNC.

4play
08-17-2007, 11:36 AM
seems he went with libtorrent (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-how-install-rtorrentlibtorrent-ubuntu-server-219875#post2207684) anyways.

Saar
08-18-2007, 11:37 AM
anyone here can help me config debian VPS please? i follow the guide but still cant login into VNC and SFTP.

if anyone can help guide me step by step, please PM me with msn\icq etc.

thanks.