PDA

View Full Version : Books You Remember From School

Curley
05-17-2003, 10:48 PM
What books do you remember reading at school, the ones where you had to write essays on?

The three that come to mind for me are:

To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
Role of Thunder, Hear My Cry - Nyesha Basey and Inez Ramsey
Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck

I wouldn't mind reading them again, they bring back a lot of memories :)

WeeMouse
05-17-2003, 10:54 PM
We had really crap books...or so I thought! Might just have been because I was forced to read them...

Let's see...there was Stone Cold, Bad Girls and a book about a catholic boy in belfast who falls in love with a protestant girl...

We read Roll of thunder and I wasn't amused when we found out the oldest brother's name was STACY!!! Not allowed cos that's my name! A girl's name!

The Great Dude
05-17-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by WeeMouse@17 May 2003 - 14:54
We read Roll of thunder and I wasn't amused when we found out the oldest brother's name was STACY!!! Not allowed cos that's my name! A girl's name!
I thought it was a girl at first, until alittle later in the story. :lol: :ph34r: Is there any guys in this world named Stacy?

Romeo and Juliet (Old English) I never liked reading it over and over just to understand what they were saying. :ph34r: Then writing essays on it, the pain. :lol: I like the story more now though.

Skweeky
05-17-2003, 11:00 PM
The Last Unicorn-Iris Murdoch
Le tour du monde en 80 jours-Jules Verne
7 petits croix dans un carnet-George Simenon
Die Verwandlung-Franz Kafka
Hersenschimmen- Bernlef
Kartonnen Dozen-Tom Lanoye

Didn't like Hersenschimmen that much...was about Alzheimer and pretty boring to be honest.

The Last Unicorn was too diffcult at the time, but I read it again later on, and I kinda liked it then.

Le tour du monde en 80 jours is a classic ofcourse. I was about 13 when I read it, and I liked it back then.

7 petits croix dans un carnet was absolutely horrible!!! I just don't like Simenon's work

Kartonnen Dozen is a typical Belgian novel...it's cool for 16-years old who try to discover who they are. It's a bit childish if you're older though. I read it again a year ago and it was a huge disappointment.

WeeMouse
05-17-2003, 11:03 PM
I remember reading Romeo and Juliet last year - Me + Lamsey wre forced to be Romeo and Juliet...and jay-2-Good was my nurse! it's something else to hear one of your guy mates reading out a big speech on how he breast-fed you!

:lol:

Rat Faced
05-17-2003, 11:09 PM
My Family and Other Animals <shudders>

Just about every Shakespear Play <screams>

The Albatross <cries with agony>

Why wont they let you read good books at school, and force crap at you instead. :(

Skweeky
05-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@18 May 2003 - 00:09
My Family and Other Animals&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <shudders>

Just about every Shakespear Play&nbsp; &nbsp; <screams>

The Albatross&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <cries with agony>

Why wont they let you read good books at school, and force crap at you instead. :(
In highschool there was one book a year we had to read, for Dutch class, because we had to discuss it in class, but for the rest they gave us this huge list of 300 books and let us choose. There were always a few books that were worth reading....

Actually, I miss highschool a little :unsure:

Curley
05-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Me too :blink:

I used to nick books from the library :lol: By the time I left, I had about 30 or so stashed away&#33;

thegroggman
05-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Hmmm...let me think:

Most of the Shakespeare plays
Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
The Jungle
A Seperate Peace
and To Kill a Mockinbird (in 3 different grades&#33; :angry: )

Those were just the ones that stood out.

Skweeky
05-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Our English teacher never made us read any Shakespeare plays, we just had to watch the films.... :D

When I was 16 I bought the complete works though and read it all...it took me months and months to get through it

thegroggman
05-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Our English teacher never made us read any Shakespeare plays, we just had to watch the films....&nbsp; LOL...yeah after we would finish reading the books, we would then watch the films. Our teacher got in trouble for showing us Roman Polanski&#39;s Macbeth.

ooo
05-17-2003, 11:46 PM
lol still in school so i can contribute a big list

romeo and juliet --&#62; every grade... reading it now
inherit the wind
haroun and the sea of stories <-- messed up first name lolz

arg cant remember... i read bout like 4 - 5 books this year

Skweeky
05-17-2003, 11:49 PM
4-5???? that&#39;s all????

We had to read 8 for Dutch
4 for French and English and 3 for German&#33;&#33;&#33;

thegroggman
05-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Agh&#33; 1984...how could I forget that. Oh and Brave New World.

Skweeky
05-17-2003, 11:51 PM
I liked both 1984 and Brave New World a lot....learnt a lot from these books and they both changed my view on the world....

Thanks George and Aldous :lol:

hobbes
05-18-2003, 04:15 AM
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Catcher in the Rye
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Separate Peace
The Great Gatsby
Lord of the Flies - watched the movie, too

I had to memorize some verse from Shakespeare and recite it in front of the class.
We never read Shakespeare, but we did watch "The Taming of the Shrew" with Elizabeth Taylor.

Bloodrose
05-18-2003, 05:44 AM
The Merchant of Venice
The Great Gatsby
Grapes of Wrath
Romeo and Juliet
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Last Mohican
Great Expectations
Oedipus Rex

And the one I remember most was - Johnny Got His Gun. (It is the basis for the Metallica song "One". It was one of the most depressing things I&#39;ve ever read.)

Jayhawk
05-18-2003, 06:41 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird
Holes
some praire book cant think of it but it was retarded ah crap... oh well those are the ones i remember

botts
05-18-2003, 11:40 AM
to kill a mocking bird
one flew over the cuckoo&#39;s nest....an awesome read
wuthering heights.....shudder
pride and prejudice.....shudder shudder
the mayor of casterbridge....OH MY GOD&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; stop the pain please make it go away

we also got to read shakespeare...i really enjoyed macbeth
and we had one groover of a teacher who let us in on the secrets of pinter and beckett and co. now THEY were worth the read

botts

Ad
05-18-2003, 12:53 PM
I remember spy who came in from the cold boring
the coulor purpe (our teaching said it was wanking material so we couldn&#39;t read it anymore
farinheight 451

ToraBoraDweller
05-18-2003, 03:58 PM
For English I chose amongst others Macbeth (easier than Hamlet)
for German: Thomas Mann :Der Zauberberg (lot of pages but easy story)+play by Brecht which even teachers don&#39;t understand.
For Dutch Willem Oltmans : De donkere kamer van Damocles(again lots of pages)
,some crap of Harry Mulish(then considered to be a modern and fashionable writer).

Because they all were compulsive reading I hated them all. B)
It&#39;s only after finishing highschool that I took up reading for my own pleasure.

N£MO
05-18-2003, 04:08 PM
The Secret Diaries Of Adrian Mole,To Kill A Mockingbird and Cider With Rosie are three books that spring to mind for me. :)

soopaman
05-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Macbeth: I&#39;d never read Shakespeare before and really enjoyed this. I was also Macbeth in the school play&#33;&#33; Quite embarrassing... :lol:

The Machinegunners: About a group of kids who find the remains of a German Bomber and steal a machine gun. Enjoyable&#33;&#33;

Brave New World: Had to read it for my exams but couldn&#39;t get into it (I was young), so I read Clockwork Orange instead.

To Kill A Mockingbird: Superb

Lord of the Flies: Another book I really enjoyed but had never read until school.

All I can think of at the moment, seems to be similar to a lot of previously lists. Which is worrying - all of us educated with the same books. :(

ToraBoraDweller
05-18-2003, 04:15 PM
All I can think of at the moment, seems to be similar to a lot of previously lists. Which is worrying - all of us educated with the same books.&nbsp;

That&#39;s because everybody was using the same excerpts. ;)

imported_QuietSilence!
05-18-2003, 04:32 PM
2 words for books i had to read for school Cliff notes :)

i dont read a book becouse i have too only for pleashure or text books to learn from like math and physics and cnn and such

dingoBaby
05-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Of all the book I have read for school assignments, two stand out among the rest.

In high school I read Trinity by Leon Uris. In college I read Not Wanted on the Voyage by Timothy Findley.

I recommend both novels, as they are among my all time favorites.

Curley
05-19-2003, 05:35 PM
I forgot about all the shakespear stuff. Maybe cause I never found it interesting for some reason :rolleyes:

Proper Bo
05-19-2003, 06:36 PM
I did (meaning this school year, I have the exams on them tomoro):
Of Mice and Men
Macbeth
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
And
An Inspector Calls

cxavier671
05-20-2003, 12:59 AM
The only book I had to read for school that I actually liked was The Grapes of Wrath. The rest of the time I had to read crap like A S :blink: eperate Peace

ooo
05-20-2003, 02:47 AM
naw my list was for ones that i am reading this year

umm

The Catcher in the Rye...

slammy_dunken
05-20-2003, 03:33 AM
- The Secret Of Nimh
- (The sequel to the book above...Forgot its name)
- I Am David
- The Hobbit
- The Outsiders
- Danny&#39;s Run
- A lot of textbooks

tianup
05-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Lord of the Flies
To Kill A Mockingbird
Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, Othello, Taming of the Shrew, etc
The Chrysalids
Wuthering Heights

Guillaume
05-21-2003, 05:22 PM
"The story of Helen Keller" about a deaf/mute/blind girl in the beginning of the 20th century, fighting to overcoming her situation... Enough to turn a whole class of 10 year old kids into a bunch of depressed suicidal people&#33; :&#39;(

edit: typo

Skweeky
05-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Gurahl@21 May 2003 - 18:22
"The story of Helen Keller" about a deaf/mute/blind girl in the beginning of the 20th century, fighting to overcoming her situation... Enough to turn a whole class of 10 year old kids into a bunch of depressed suicidal people&#33; :&#39;(

edit: typo
oh&#33;&#33; I loved that book&#33; It was really nice. I hated that kid when she was little
:lol:

Guillaume
05-21-2003, 10:18 PM
Hate her? Why? I felt compassion (and sometimes a burning need to shoot myself :lol:) when reding this book.

dlingeverything
05-21-2003, 10:34 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird <-- showing up everywhere in this thread&#33;
The Odyssey <-- agg i hated this one
The Power of One
Ender&#39;s Game <-- very good
Holes
Farenheit 451
The giver

That&#39;s all i can remember

MagicNakor
05-22-2003, 12:41 AM
Oh boy...books I remember reading in school...

A Christmas Carol
Black Beauty
Oliver Twist
Guliver&#39;s Travels
Frankenstein
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Treasure Island
The Wind in the Willows
Alice in Wonderland
Through the Looking-Glass
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Secret Garden
Huckleberry Finn
Peter Pan
The Giver
Julie of the Wolves
Hiroshima
Dracula
The Crucible
Macbeth
Hamlet
King Lear
Romeo and Juliet
Othello
Beowulf
The Canterbury Tales
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Importance of Being Ernest
Brave New World
The Chrysalids
Fahrenheit 451
The Illiad
The Odyssey
Lord of the Flies
The Outsiders
The Hobbit
Catcher in the Rye
Wuthering Heights
Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice

There were a lot more. Can you tell English was a favourite subject of mine? :rolleyes:

:ninja:

ToraBoraDweller
05-22-2003, 01:19 AM
??Frankenstien.....??

Was that a typo or an OCR-error? :lol:

MagicNakor
05-22-2003, 01:57 AM
Typo. It happens when I&#39;m thinking faster than I&#39;m typing. ;)

:ninja:

soopaman
05-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Danny Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. Good book about a father and son who are poachers. Wouldn&#39;t mind reading it again, just for old times sake. :)

neil1967
06-19-2003, 05:51 PM
lord of the flies, like every other kid on the planet apparently,good though
also a man for all seasons, enjoyed that too, and the staple of mice and men, also
a classic. Did anyone have to read the war poets, wilfred owen, my lit teacher had
a bit of a thing for him, but ill never forget those poems.

Buffalo
06-19-2003, 06:23 PM
I&#39;m not much of a reader :blink:
But the one book from school that I enjoyed wasThe Chocolate wars&#33;

I read the Red Dwarf books as well but that&#39;s about it&#33; :D

Sorry guys just wanted to show my face in Bookworld :D

Jonno B)

Curley
06-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US@19 June 2003 - 19:23
You mean you never have done before? :angry:

Temper tantrum time :angry: :( :angry:

:P

Buffalo
06-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Curley+19 June 2003 - 18:55--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Curley @ 19 June 2003 - 18:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CELEBS_ARE_US@19 June 2003 - 19:23
You mean you never have done before? :angry:

Temper tantrum time :angry: :( :angry:

:P [/b][/quote]
Nope&#33; But here I am again&#33; :D

Thought of another book from school, I actually loved it that much I did&#39;nt take it back :blink: It was "The Dr. and the Devil" By Dylan Thomas :D

Jonno B)

Curley
06-21-2003, 08:17 PM
:o You tea leave :blink:

I used to do the same :P

Keikan
06-25-2003, 03:30 AM
Johnny&#39;s in da basement and the Tal Tale heart and Murder by lamb (the last 2 are short stories tho...) ;)