PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Wilde

Skweeky
05-18-2003, 12:07 AM
After all these years, I still find this one of the best creepy stories I ever read....
Who else read it? Did you like it? Did you absolutely hate it? Explain :)

MagicNakor
05-18-2003, 12:55 AM
I've read it a number of times. I love Oscar Wilde. :D

:ninja:

Ad
05-18-2003, 12:55 PM
yes read this book once freaked the shit out me couldnt sleep :blink:

ilw
05-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Didn't particularly like it, got about half way through it and was very bored. As far as i got I didn't think it was creepy at all. I wasn't particularly impressed by either of the 2 oscar wilde books I've read. People say he's really witty and some of what he wrote is clearly very good, but I fell his humour is usually predictable and too repetitive in style.

MagicNakor
05-19-2003, 12:03 PM
His humour is rather sophiscated; as a result he's not terribly popular with younger people, especially when people don't recognize the social contexts that made him popular (more in reference to The Importance of Being Ernest than Dorian Gray). As an aside, Dorian Gray doesn't have the amount of snipes as Ernest does; I can only think of a few off the top of my head. However, at the same time, European humour never seems to fare well in (mainstream) America. I know someone'll say "But Monty Python...!" But Monty Python's pretty much the exception and not the rule, and even though I'm not in America, I know more people who dislike or find it unhumourous than those that do.

:ninja: