PDA

View Full Version : x264 .mkv files not playing right

matt526
12-27-2006, 04:45 AM
I am trying to play HD movies that are in x264 or .mkv format
I have updated VLC to 0.8.6 witch is supposed to play x264 better
But any time I try to play something that with a bit rate higher then around 4500kbps It gets really choppy and the sound lags. When I play something with a bit rate of say 7500kbps my cpu usage is only at 50%
I have am running XP sp2 with a Pentium 4 HT 3.00GHz and 1GB of RAM
I am sure I was able to play just about anything a few months ago; I have since had to reformat and reinstall XP
Any Ideas on what Codec’s I should use or is my Hardware just not good enough?

Thanks!

worldpease
12-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Lol, right now Im having the same problem,
but I just don't get what could be wrong, cus previus movies I dld. played just fine.
Anyway, do you have the CoreAVC 1.1 Pro installed?,
that is what did the trick fort me the first time, combined with Media PLayer Classic.

Virtualbody1234
12-27-2006, 05:16 AM
What graphics card are you using?

Perhaps a driver is needed?

mr. nails
12-28-2006, 06:41 AM
vlc is great and all, but it often has sound issues and also doesn't cum with all the latest codec versions. maybe u don't wanna do it, but try the kazaa codec pack and then run those movies on mpc and see if the problem still exists. also, yeah, hd movies w/x.264 codec requires a video card that supports it and/or has x.264 acceleration.

matt526
12-29-2006, 02:17 PM
vlc is great and all, but it often has sound issues and also doesn't cum with all the latest codec versions. maybe u don't wanna do it, but try the kazaa codec pack and then run those movies on mpc and see if the problem still exists. also, yeah, hd movies w/x.264 codec requires a video card that supports it and/or has x.264 acceleration.

Thank you, I did install the kazaa codec pack. Now my computer can play just about anything I can throw at it:w00t:.
My video card it: a RADEON x600 256MB HyperMemroy. I don't know a lot about video cards

lightshow
12-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Is it still having problems, even after you installed the codec pack?

worldpease
12-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Is it still having problems, even after you installed the codec pack?
I think you missread his reply,
he said

Thank you,... ...Now my computer can play just about anything I can throw at it.
And now, I'll go try that solution, lol.

I was reluctant at first, cus I was suposed to already have all the codecs installed,
but naaa, what the heck... I'll let you know if it works for me.

blade
12-31-2006, 02:09 PM
God i hate mkv format...and yes its because i never managed to transcode and burn them to disc .