PDA

View Full Version : Do You Update your drivers ?

digmen1
12-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Guys

I have been using PCs for years and have never updated any drivers.

Is it worth doing - taking note of the risks if they don't work - considering that my system works OK now.

If you do do it do you update them often ?

And which drivers do you update ?

And where do you get the drivers from ?

A public website or each manufacturers web site ?

Takling note that I am not into gaming and only have on board video at this stage.

regards

Digby

Virtualbody1234
12-30-2006, 08:48 PM
If everything is working for you then just leave it the way it is.

sorcerer13
12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Same here, don't bother unless you have problems--such as your burner won't burn certain media...:ph34r:

backlash
12-31-2006, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't update them unless you need to. I did my video drivers and it messed up my computer and needed to do a system restore.

/me shudders at the memory

killuminati96
12-31-2006, 05:58 AM
If it ain't broke then don't fix it. Sometimes changing drivers can cause problems. If stuff is already working good then just leave it be.

Rip The Jacker
12-31-2006, 06:27 AM
If it ain't broke then don't fix it. Sometimes changing drivers can cause problems. If stuff is already working good then just leave it be.
Amen to that.

Colt Seevers
12-31-2006, 06:58 AM
I wouldn't update them unless you need to. I did my video drivers and it messed up my computer and needed to do a system restore.

/me shudders at the memory

QFT!!

Heh, I think we've all been there! :D

mr. nails
12-31-2006, 05:48 PM
i ALWAYS update ALL drivers to it's newest. lol, everyone of them. i run benches and games and progs afterward to see if there are bugs or maybe if they run my hardware better. ie: when the newest version of klmcp cumz out it features updated codecs and what not. why not get those updated versions and maybe bugs u don't even know about are squashed and maybe the videos u love so much may work better. same goes for drivers. only thing i don't updated are say drivers that don't feature updates for "my" hardware. for instance: the new 8800gtx vid crd drivers. well, i could install those, but the only feature they have are support for said card and not mine. so, why do it. always read the changelog.

peat moss
01-01-2007, 08:33 AM
I always do too Mr Nails , there may may be a reason for them updates . I don't do the Bios updates as I can't roll back like you can with drivers .

I always check my mobo for lan or sound updates . Video I tend to leave well enough alone as that can be a real pain . Ati seems a little behind but did update after a year to Radeon 12/15/2006 as I had a problem with a game , which solved it . I think I'm just anal ? :pinch:

Here's a scenario I buy a new monitor no drivers provided ,seems fine under the win xp drivers but lo and behold I go to the mfg . web site and get the newest ones . Now I can change colour profiles and refresh rate ! :

Don't let the Win Xp "drivers not certified " wizard scare you off either , what a bunch of crap

Don't use Winupdates to check for hardware drivers either as they may replace with older ones , rule of thumb is D/L a newer driver save to disk . Then thru Device Manager check update driver for this device if unsure.

spidro
01-01-2007, 10:21 AM
i alayws update my drivers that is make games, movies ...... work better
and that is the point of update drivers
the most dirvers i always udpate where there is new update is out vga card, sound card ,mobo ,bios

digmen1
01-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys

The vote is
5 no way its a pain
3 yes we often update

And thanks peatmoss for a very detailed post on how to do them !

Regards

Digby

Fulanito
01-01-2007, 08:10 PM
only xp drivers and audio and graphics card, the others i update if something does not worl properly

S!X
01-01-2007, 10:23 PM
The only ones I update are my videocard drivers.

Hairbautt
01-01-2007, 10:41 PM
See, when I do that and play a '3D High-end' game I get blue screen errors from my nv4_driver or whatever...I've really only dealt with nvidia and updating my drivers from them never works for the better.:ermm:

S!X
01-01-2007, 10:49 PM
See, when I do that and play a '3D High-end' game I get blue screen errors from my nv4_driver or whatever...I've really only dealt with nvidia and updating my drivers from them never works for the better.:ermm:

I've never had video card driver issues, pehaps due to running driver cleaner in safe mode to remove any left of driver files/registry entries then rebooting normally and installing the new drivers. :dabs:

peat moss
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
@Linkin Park , very good point if changing cards or drivers its a must to clean up the old ones . People think also that they must D/L all the bloat like in ATI's case the control panel etc. Nope just the drivers .

dodlie
01-01-2007, 11:30 PM
always is good to update drivers

nuskei
01-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Aggre with some of you, but sometimes new drivers does not work really good like the older ones. I did noticed that on my vga card =P

ngs_raider
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
When you have problems, update your drivers then. If you don't have any problems, why bother messing with it? You're only looking for trouble if something happens.