PDA

View Full Version : How Many Pages Can U Read In An Hr

Ad
05-18-2003, 01:03 PM
I can read 26 in an hour how many pages can everyone read in an hour

the_faceman
05-18-2003, 01:08 PM
the last time i was tested at the Institute of Pointless Tests, way back just after i got home from 'Nam, they worked out i can read a small novel, about 200-300 pages in about 3 hours or so....

porkshit
05-18-2003, 01:09 PM
CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX! (http://www.google.com) :spam:

lmao umm i dont really know i cant count you see

Curley
05-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Once I get my head into a book, i'm in a differant world. I can read about 100 pages in an hour, thats if I don't take a break. Thats why I don't get to sleep till the early hours, and end up going into work looking like a zombie :lol:

Ad
05-18-2003, 01:18 PM
CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX! 

lmao umm i dont really know i cant count you see

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/html/emoticons/spamfrown.gif

LMAO :lol: :lol:

Once I get my head into a book, i'm in a differant world. I can read about 100 pages in an hour, thats if I don't take a break. Thats why I don't get to sleep till the early hours, and end up going into work looking like a zombie 

what was the font size???? :huh: thats crazy

N£MO
05-18-2003, 01:21 PM
It depends on what i'm reading,if its a pron book then doubt many pages read in an hour. :lol:

But on average,i reckon,about 50-60 pages in an hour.

Luca_Snipes
05-18-2003, 02:44 PM
depending on book somewhere between 60 - 100 pages an hour

Skweeky
05-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Yup same as Luca, that is, when I read in Dutch. When I read English it goes down to about 40-50.

soopaman
05-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Depends on the contents of the book, if it's something I have to read for work it gets a "speed-reading" and if it's for pleasure i'll take my time over it!! So I guess anything from 30-150 pages an hour. Having a great memory helps as well!! :lol:

imported_QuietSilence!
05-18-2003, 04:28 PM
i can read a whole book in an hour if i read it before but maybe 40 -50 pages if its a new one much longer if it a text book like for school

my brother can read like 150 pages an hour i seen him do 4 books in a day

thegroggman
05-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Hmmm I can read anywhere from 75-125 pgs an hour...in English. In Spanish Like 25.

Jibbler
05-18-2003, 07:10 PM
I'm sure that none of you have good retention when you're reading 125 pages an hour. Either your number is severly inflated, or you have a very basic comprehension of the material. I'm skeptical of anyone that claims 100 pages an hour. Are we counting pictures? :huh:

soopaman
05-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@18 May 2003 - 20:10
I'm sure that none of you have good retention when you're reading 125 pages an hour. Either your number is severly inflated, or you have a very basic comprehension of the material. I'm skeptical of anyone that claims 100 pages an hour. Are we counting pictures? :huh:
Jibbler,

It's easily possible to read over 100 pages per hour if you can "speed read". If you can master the technique there is no problem with comprehension. You can read a book 100 times and still not comprehend it!! A good example of which would be the Bible.

Some people read at different rates, some people read different books, some people are different. Get over it! :P :lol:

Although it takes me a long time to colour the pictures!!! :D :lol:

thegroggman
05-18-2003, 09:12 PM
Some people read at different rates, some people read different books, some people are different. Get over it! Nicely said :D
Oh and I have excellent reading comprehension Jibbler :geek:

Curley
05-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@18 May 2003 - 20:10
My number may not be exact, I was only making a rough hestimate - but I know for a fact i'm not far wrong. Reading is the only thing that can keep my concentration for more than an hour at a time (apart from drving).

Believe it or not, its up to you :)

Jibbler
05-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by soopaman@18 May 2003 - 16:52
A good example of which would be the Bible.

Interpretation and comprehension are two different things. Could you have picked a worse example? Only the bible has been misinterpreted more over the last 2000 years.

But anyway, I'm not calling any of you liars, I'm just trying to say that your numbers seem inflated. One person, can't remember who, was saying that they can re-read a book faster the second time. Ya think? I wouldn't expect your time to be slower. :huh:

porkshit
05-19-2003, 12:23 AM
haha! didnt think some stupid thing like sthis would start some big war. next people will be calling each other names :P

thegroggman
05-19-2003, 12:26 AM
LOL...nah I dont think this will be some 'big war'....even though Jibbler is a poo-poo head :angry:

Edit: I'm sorry...that outburst was just uncalled for. Jibbler you are not a poo-poo head.

Curley
05-19-2003, 12:28 AM
This aint turning into a war, its just a case of people having differant opinions.

thegroggman
05-19-2003, 12:30 AM
its just a case of people having differant opinions lol...ironically enough that has been the basis for quite a few wars

Curley
05-19-2003, 12:33 AM
True. Thats when people can't accept other peoples opinions and views though, and they feel the need to get personal and start flaming.

soopaman
05-19-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler+19 May 2003 - 00:51--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 19 May 2003 - 00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--soopaman@18 May 2003 - 16:52
A good example of which would be the Bible.

Interpretation and comprehension are two different things. Could you have picked a worse example? Only the bible has been misinterpreted more over the last 2000 years.

But anyway, I&#39;m not calling any of you liars, I&#39;m just trying to say that your numbers seem inflated. One person, can&#39;t remember who, was saying that they can re-read a book faster the second time. Ya think? I wouldn&#39;t expect your time to be slower. :huh: [/b][/quote]

I didn&#39;t mention interpretation in my post. I meant understanding/comprehension. I think it was a perfect example, people have misunderstood the Bible and misinterpretted it. You are right. As for the re-reading books - definately quicker for me&#33;&#33; :)

Guillaume
05-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by soopaman@19 May 2003 - 01:47
As for the re-reading books - definately quicker for me&#33;&#33; :)
I had the same problem with my girlfriend... That&#39;s why she left&#33; :lol:

Just one question: are numbers really so important? Is Bookworld turning into some kind of "who&#39;s got the bigger one" contest?
That&#39;s actually two question, I know, but I don&#39;t really see the point of all this...

MagicNakor
05-19-2003, 01:04 AM
I don&#39;t know.

I don&#39;t count pages when I read. :rolleyes:

:ninja:

thegroggman
05-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Just one question: are numbers really so important? Is Bookworld turning into some kind of "who&#39;s got the bigger one" contest? Nope you&#39;re right, numbers arent important. All that is, is that we all enjoy sitting down with a good read. And I dont think this is any kind of contest, I just think its a friendly thread to find out more about our fellow bookworlders. :D

sArA
05-19-2003, 03:12 AM
Never really thought about it too much..............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............lets see now.......................100 or so if speed reading..............I suppose.............................much less if its boring..................and if skimming the cream off the top......several books.... (cos U only need the intro and the conclusion plus chapter headings and the first 2 paragraphs.....if its a non-technical text book)

Having said that, if reading for editing and content purposes before submission (like something I have written) then I may spend several hours on 25 pages.

So I would say it rather depends on the context, its dullness level and how important it is.

Jibbler
05-19-2003, 03:54 AM
I&#39;m gonna play all my audiobooks at 2x speed tonight so that I can hear them faster. :huh: :o :o ;)

thegroggman
05-19-2003, 04:39 AM
LOL...jeez you only listen at 2x speed...phish...thats pretty sad. I at least listen at 4x, if not more :P

imported_QuietSilence!
05-19-2003, 04:52 AM
LOL addthomp what did i tell u about this thread before u posted it :)

Ad
05-19-2003, 05:45 AM
LOL addthomp what did i tell u about this thread before u posted it&nbsp;

opps guess im good at starting topics that result to this :lol:

botts
05-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Is Bookworld turning into some kind of "who&#39;s got the bigger one" contest?

well...i think i&#39;ve got "the bigger one" but i can only read about 50 pages in an hour...down hill with the wind behind me..... :D ;)

botts

tianup
05-20-2003, 07:14 PM
More importantly, how fast DO you read, as opposed to how fast CAN you read? I can read well over 100 pages an hour of tiny print on a fairly large page, and comprehend as well as retain everything. The only time time I do this is if I have to (manuals, texts, etc.) or if I am reading an extremely exciting part of the book, and I consciously try not to do this. The reason is that I enjoy reading as fuel for conceptual thinking, enlightenment, and the poetry of words. For me to read as quickly possible would be akin to a food lover tearing through every gourmet morsel they could get their hands on without even tasting it. I sometimes force myself to reread paragraphs or pages that present some form of exceptional beauty or rhythm or concept as many as three or four times, before continuing, although it happens very naturally now. IMHO, if you are going to take the time to read, you should enjoy it to the fullest extent that you can. Don&#39;t get me wrong, I still shred books with the best of them, but not at the expense of the content, and certainly not so that I can tell people how fast I can read.