PDA

View Full Version : WWII Debt

Agrajag
12-31-2006, 03:00 PM
The UK has now cleared it's debt, in relation to WWII, owed to the USA and Canada.

It's not too bad, we only had to pay back twice the original amount. Very favourable interest rates.

Ava Estelle
12-31-2006, 03:40 PM
We didn't HAVE to pay most of it back, we chose to, unlike the Australians, who still haven't coughed up for the Sydney Harbour Bridge!

j2k4
12-31-2006, 05:19 PM
The UK has now cleared it's debt, in relation to WWII, owed to the USA and Canada.

It's not too bad, we only had to pay back twice the original amount. Very favourable interest rates.

Thanks, awfully.

Don't know that there are any others who bothered; France, for example...:whistling

Oh, right.

That was just lives, not materiel.

Ava Estelle
12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Don't know that there are any others who bothered; France, for example...:whistling

I wouldn't swear to this, but I think you'll find the US offered to forgive the war debt, the UK turned them down and chose to pay, maybe the French, if they had a debt, chose to take the US up on the offer.

j2k4
12-31-2006, 05:37 PM

I wouldn't swear to this, but I think you'll find the US offered to forgive the war debt, the UK turned them down and chose to pay, maybe the French, if they had a debt, chose to take the US up on the offer.

I wouldn't doubt either scenario.

The Brits have always been stand-up, the French, not so much.

vidcc
12-31-2006, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't swear to this, but I think you'll find the US offered to forgive the war debt, the UK turned them down and chose to pay

They probably didn't want to have to listen to American tourists making comments about "bailing your asses out" for the next millennium :naughty: ;)

MagicNakor
12-31-2006, 06:01 PM

Canada says "Thank you."

:shuriken:

Agrajag
12-31-2006, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't swear to this, but I think you'll find the US offered to forgive the war debt, the UK turned them down and chose to pay

They probably didn't want to have to listen to American tourists making comments about "bailing your asses out" for the next millennium :naughty: ;)

Unfortunately we still had to tho'. :O:shutup:

Agrajag
12-31-2006, 06:05 PM

Canada says "Thank you."

As ever a pleasure doing business with you.

Ava Estelle
12-31-2006, 06:06 PM

As opposed to 'saving your asses', and 'you'd all be talking German'?

vidcc
12-31-2006, 06:20 PM

Unfortunately we still had to tho'. :O:shutup:

Hey I never said the plan would work :shifty:

vidcc
12-31-2006, 06:21 PM

As opposed to 'saving your asses', and 'you'd all be talking German'?

yes

GepperRankins
12-31-2006, 07:23 PM
does this mean the dollar is even weaker?

Mr JP Fugley
01-01-2007, 01:36 AM

Are you suggesting that the reduction of the US debtor's figure may have actually de-valued their currency? It's an interesting point, however I would have thought that, given it is such a miniscule amount it is unlikely to have had any real effect.

Everose
01-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Maybe we will learn from this fine example set for us.

digmen1
01-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Russia has paid all its debt to he IMF due to it shuge oil income

The First World War cost Britain most of its overseas reserves it had to sell most of its assets to pay for the war ! Its been broke ever since !

regards

Digby

Ava Estelle
01-01-2007, 07:02 PM
The First World War cost Britain most of its overseas reserves it had to sell most of its assets to pay for the war ! Its been broke ever since !

That was the second world war, the US wouldn't extend credit until Britain sold it's "Empire".

Barbarossa
01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Does that mean we can afford to have another world war now? :blink:

Interest free credit, or hire-purchase pay nothing until 2051? :unsure:

maebach
01-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Canada says "Thank you."

exactly what I was going to say. :)

lynx
01-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Canada says "Thank you."

exactly what I was going to say. :)I knew you were going to say that.

digmen1
01-03-2007, 07:24 AM

That was the second world war, the US wouldn't extend credit until Britain sold it's "Empire".

No it was the First World War.

Britain had to sell most of its foreign assets (eg most of the railways of South America) to pay for the First World War buying materials and subsiding many of the Allied participants.

See Winston Churchill's book - I think it was called The World Crisis where he lists two pages of figures on this subject. I've lost my copy.

Kind Regards

Digby
NZ

j2k4
01-03-2007, 10:49 AM

No it was the First World War.

Britain had to sell most of its foreign assets (eg most of the railways of South America) to pay for the First World War buying materials and subsiding many of the Allied participants.

See Winston Churchill's book - I think it was called The World Crisis where he lists two pages of figures on this subject. I've lost my copy.

Kind Regards

Digby
NZ

Traditionally, a juncture such as this requires that someone insert the word "pwned", I believe. :naughty:

Ava Estelle
01-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Traditionally, a juncture such as this requires that someone insert the word "pwned", I believe. :naughty:

And that would be you, would it?

The United States demanded that in return for Lend Lease, which Britain desperately needed to sustain its war effort, Britain pledge itself to abandon any aspirations of post-war empire, dismantle the system of imperial preference and shrink the sterling area to prevent it from competing with the dollar.

We know how you love to jump in on a whiff of triumphalism j2, but you really should try reading before commenting, I suggest John Maynard Keynes: Fighting for Britain, 1937-1946.

The price Britain paid for US financial support was the dismantling of the British Empire.

Snee
01-03-2007, 05:26 PM

Are you suggesting that the reduction of the US debtor's figure may have actually de-valued their currency? It's an interesting point, however I would have thought that, given it is such a miniscule amount it is unlikely to have had any real effect.

I actually see how that might happen, if their accountants count money other people owes you as assets, same as yours do :unsure:

Maybe potential money is worth more, somehow.

Especially if you paid earlier than expected.

j2k4
01-05-2007, 02:31 AM

And that would be you, would it?

In this case?

Yes, I believe that would be me.

The United States demanded that in return for Lend Lease, which Britain desperately needed to sustain its war effort, Britain pledge itself to abandon any aspirations of post-war empire, dismantle the system of imperial preference and shrink the sterling area to prevent it from competing with the dollar.

Well, that could be your characterization of the arrangement, but I would read it differently, as well you know.

The fact is, whether your version is true/accurate/radically misleading/just dumb does not adequately inform the events which followed.

What we do know, and what is generally accepted as true, is that aid was asked for/offered to the British advantage, She was therefore able to successfully conclude the Second World War, but, to the eternal regret of some, ceased to rule much beyond Her native Isles.

Whatever the eventuality, it seems clear that, if the U.S. did indeed demand forfeiture of Her empire, Britain saw a workable play, and accepted.

I honor those who decided to survive, and win the war by doing so.

We know how you love to jump in on a whiff of triumphalism j2, but you really should try reading before commenting, I suggest John Maynard Keynes: Fighting for Britain, 1937-1946.

The price Britain paid for US financial support was the dismantling of the British Empire.

WTF, triumphalism?

I didn't start this thread, you know, and besides which:

Did Keynes buy it?

Or did he shy from judgement?

I mean, really now...do you want to argue about it?

We could argue about who fucked up Iraq first and worst, if you like...

So sorry for not replying sooner; my 40 lb. puppy punched me in the eye Sunday evening, and I didn't read your post until just now.

Mr JP Fugley
01-05-2007, 08:29 PM

I live in a broke country. :O

You'd think someone would have said. :shutup:

j2k4
01-05-2007, 09:00 PM

I thought Maggie said it plainly, didn't she?

Mr JP Fugley
01-05-2007, 09:39 PM

I thought Maggie said it plainly, didn't she?

No, however if it's true it's more likely she did it than the damned bosch.

Curse you Red Baron.