PDA

View Full Version : Boy, you Yanks are a strange lot!

Ava Estelle
12-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Among predictions for the U.S. in 2007:

-25 percent anticipate the second coming of Jesus Christ.

-19 percent think scientists are likely to find evidence of extraterrestrial life.

Source. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6313716,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704)

:lol:

vidcc
12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Well Jesus keeps crossing the southern borders and no matter how many times we send him back he keeps on coming back....so it's a bit past a "second coming" :unsure:

As for extraterrestrial life, does that include bacteria?

I personally think it unlikely they will find evidence next year but I do believe that with all those solar systems out there it's more likely that there is life than there isn't.

I don't believe we have been "visited"

Ava Estelle
12-31-2006, 06:15 PM
When you see something like the first one, it makes you realise how important the religious vote is out there, it also makes it rather scary to think that there are people actively working towards causing Armageddon. :O

GepperRankins
12-31-2006, 06:34 PM
When you see something like the first one, it makes you realise how important the religious vote is out there, it also makes it rather scary to think that there are people actively working towards causing Armageddon. :O
that's what i thought. no wonder bush doesn't worry about the future, he doesn't anticipate there being one :fear:

MagicNakor
12-31-2006, 06:38 PM
I don't think that scientists finding evidence of extraterrestrial life is that far-fetched; they've already discovered evidence of water on Mars. It may not be ET, but bacteria counts.

:shuriken:

GepperRankins
12-31-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't think that scientists finding evidence of extraterrestrial life is that far-fetched; they've already discovered evidence of water on Mars. It may not be ET, but bacteria counts.

maybe the point is that more people think it's possible that jesus will come

Agrajag
12-31-2006, 07:00 PM

maybe the point is that more people think it's possible that jesus will come

Yeah, but they see Jesus returning as being evidence of extra-terrestrial life.

It's pretty much difinitive proof, if you think about it.

I'm glad it's not the kind of thing I think about.

Everose
01-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Odd. I would figure the percentages to be higher.

Biggles
01-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I think it is kind of a tradition to predict the second coming just to be on the safe side - if you say it won't happen then it just might, sort of thing :shifty: It never seems to bother them much if it doesn't though.

Barbarossa
01-02-2007, 10:16 AM
If Jesus did return nobody would believe it was him anyway :happy:

vidcc
01-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Is he supposed to come back in human form then??

If he is then he has a problem as anyone that claims to be him is considered to be nuts :unsure:

Barbarossa
01-02-2007, 05:26 PM

If he is then he has a problem as anyone that claims to be him is considered to be nuts :unsure:

I dunno what else he'd come back as. :idunno:

Perhaps he's already here and has actually come back as my refrigerator?

vidcc
01-02-2007, 06:12 PM

Most people I know (that are "strongly" christian) believe it will be a spirit (casper) form. however they have their differences as to if he would be visible or working "through us".

MagicNakor
01-03-2007, 01:14 AM
He's already come back.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Thelittlesthobo.jpg

ahctlucabbuS
01-03-2007, 02:01 AM

If Jesus were in fact to return, don't you think he'd be almighty enough to bypass such a trifle?

Ava Estelle
01-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Most people I know (that are "strongly" christian) believe it will be a spirit (casper) form.
That's just ridiculous, the whole point of christianity is that he died on the cross and came back in his physical body, if he didn't, what's the point of it all?

He's already come back.
That's right, he called himself Krishnamurti this time.

Barbarossa
01-03-2007, 09:41 AM

If Jesus were in fact to return, don't you think he'd be almighty enough to bypass such a trifle?

There's no trifle in my fridge :blink:

Seriously though, I keep putting bottled water in my fridge, and the day after I'm bringing out bottles of wine.

It's a real money-spinner :whistling

MagicNakor
01-03-2007, 10:45 AM
That's right, he called himself Krishnamurti this time.

Obviously, the image serves a purpose. Don't blame me if you haven't seen The Littlest Hobo. :rolleyes:

vidcc
01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
That's just ridiculous, the whole point of christianity is that he died on the cross and came back in his physical body, if he didn't, what's the point of it all?

the whole point of christianity???? The death was but one chapter surely.

So all Christians are in lockstep, they interpret the bible exactly the same way. The way you do?

All I did was relay what those around me believe. I do also know people that think he will be in human form. The point being that it's not a decided fact (as far as anything believed entirely on faith can be "fact") which is why I raised the question.

There are many different Christian churches with many different views.

Snee
01-03-2007, 05:18 PM

Most people I know (that are "strongly" christian) believe it will be a spirit (casper) form. however they have their differences as to if he would be visible or working "through us".

Really?

Back in sunday school, they always made it sound as if he'd be reborn.
Which I always thought would be the point, him walking the earth and being all inspirational n' stuff.

I see how him coming back as an invisible spirit might be convinient tho', every old nutter could claim they'd been touched by him that way.

vidcc
01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Back in sunday school, they always made it sound as if he'd be reborn.
Which I always thought would be the point, him walking the earth and being all inspirational n' stuff
They "made it sound" or they said "he would".
Being "reborn" only means as a man if you come with that preconception.

There was an interesting debate here a while back as to what god is, is he an immortal being (that made man in his image) or is god everything around (god is "mother nature" so to speak...hard to describe).

I see how him coming back as an invisible spirit might be convinient tho', every old nutter could claim they'd been touched by him that way.

I have no problem with people believing in god etc. I do however feel that in many "organised religions" the doctrines were rooted in the views preferable to the original members and as time went by this expanded so that the religion became a reflection of the followers viewpoint instead of the original profits.

Different people within one "church" can have differing views.

What form the second coming will be is one example.

The death penalty is a fine example of moral differences within Christianity. Some will say jesus was about forgiveness and point to the "first stone" story. Others will point to an eye for an eye.
Some will point to the ten commandments "shall not kill" to say the death sentence is wrong and that god should be the one that takes the life of the killer, not man.

Snee
01-03-2007, 05:58 PM
They "made it sound" or they said "he would".
Being "reborn" only means as a man if you come with that preconception.

Mang, I was four, or five years old, last I attended one of those sessions.

My lasting impression, tho', was that they figured he'd once again become incarnated, and I've not read, or heard anything saying otherwise.

But then, I can't really claim to having paid much attention to matters regarding jeebus in specific, since then.

If I ever looked in a bible after that, I'd skip right to the sexy bits.

vidcc
01-03-2007, 06:03 PM
my point with that is that some view things with a literal "worldly stance", others use a more symbolic or spiritual stance.

If one asks only believers what is the nature of god? what is god? I bet there would be different views

JPaul
01-04-2007, 08:13 PM

the whole point of christianity???? The death was but one chapter surely.

So all Christians are in lockstep, they interpret the bible exactly the same way. The way you do?

All I did was relay what those around me believe. I do also know people that think he will be in human form. The point being that it's not a decided fact (as far as anything believed entirely on faith can be "fact") which is why I raised the question.

There are many different Christian churches with many different views.

If a Church does not believe in certain basic things, then it is not a Christian Church.

These include that Jesus Christ was the Messiah spoken of in scripture. That he was the Son of God, that he died on the cross for our redemption and that he rose from the dead.

Obviously you are right that various Christian Churches believe and teach different things. However in order to be Christian they must believe and teach the same basics.

Strangely enough I was discussing this very point with a Wee Free and another Catholic today. For anyone who doesn't know, the Wee Free are probably as far away from Catholics (within Christianity) that you could get.

ilw
01-04-2007, 08:36 PM
in order to be Christian they must believe and teach the same basics.

really? what are the rest of them and who decided them

bigboab
01-04-2007, 08:50 PM

It would be a good idea. A few more people would 'see the light' when they open the door.:)

JPaul
01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
in order to be Christian they must believe and teach the same basics.

really? what are the rest of them and who decided them

Yes, it's what a Christian is. They were decided upon by Christ.

If you want to know more about Christianity there are a variety of useful sources, what with the proselytising and so forth. The New Testament for example speaks at length about being a Christian and what it means.

ilw
01-04-2007, 10:18 PM
point is that christians don't agree on the contents of the new testament and what with the way it was written, the sayings of Christ are about as accurate as me pissing into the wind.

anyway, don't care, arguments about religion always wind me up so i'm quitting this one.

GepperRankins
01-04-2007, 10:24 PM
i know more about jeebus than vidcc :happy:

the jesus story is what makes christianity, so if you don't believe it, you're a jew :smilie4:

Mr JP Fugley
01-04-2007, 11:55 PM
point is that christians don't agree on the contents of the new testament and what with the way it was written, the sayings of Christ are about as accurate as me pissing into the wind.

anyway, don't care, arguments about religion always wind me up so i'm quitting this one.

Oh noes, please don't, we so need your input. Particularly when you don't care.

Point is Christians agree about the main things, they disagree about the details. Fuck sake, they may be like human beings. Who knows.

Mr JP Fugley
01-04-2007, 11:56 PM

Yeah, but how much do you actually know about vidcc. :blink:

vidcc
01-05-2007, 01:33 AM

Yeah, but how much do you actually know about vidcc. :blink:

And then how much does anyone really know about jeebus? He didn't write the book about him, others did. you have to take into account the media bias.;)

On the agreement of the basics, I have read about some that don't believe jesus was a mortal man but an immortal being that took a human form as a vessel to walk the earth. The story is still the same but he didn't actually die on the cross and become reborn but instead just left his body (something along those lines but not exactly). Being the immortal son of god obviously his appearance to say keep it real to his homies is explained.

j2k4
01-05-2007, 02:59 AM

I'm so glad my Faith helps me resist the temptation presented by threads like this one. :mellow:

3RA1N1AC
01-05-2007, 08:35 AM
i was watchin' this "the naked archaeologist" show the other night, and he was interviewing some historoscientific eggheads who claim the philistines were not in fact the dirty ignorant savages the old testament had led us to believe they were. rather, they were prolly the most sophisticated tribe in the area at the time?