PDA

View Full Version : Just Got This Message On Kazaa

Sasage
05-18-2003, 06:05 PM
COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT WARNING:
It appears that you are offering copyrighted music to others from your computer. Distributing or downloading copyrighted music on the Internet without permission from the copyright owner is ILLEGAL. It hurts songwriters who create and musicians who perform the music you love, and all the other people who bring you music.

When you break the law, you risk legal penalties. There is a simple way to avoid that risk: DON'T STEAL MUSIC, either by offering it to others to copy or downloading it on a "file-sharing" system like this.

When you offer music on these systems, you are not anonymous and you can easily be identified. You also may have unlocked and exposed your computer and your private files to anyone on the Internet. Don't take these chances. Disable the share feature or uninstall your "file-sharing" software. For more information on how, go to http://www.musicunited.net/5_takeoff.html.

This warning comes from artists, songwriters, musicians, music publishers, record labels and hundreds of thousands of people who work at creating and distributing the music you enjoy. We are unable to receive direct replies to this message. For more information about this Copyright Warning, go to www.musicunited.net.

i8gtmf
05-18-2003, 06:38 PM
How did you actually receive this warning

Paul_NFFC
05-18-2003, 07:13 PM
that is the message from the RIAA that theyre sending out, my friend was also 1 of the people 2 get them, just ignore it and dont worry about it..also did u take a screenshot? if so post it up

Sasage
05-18-2003, 07:17 PM
I got the message through the Kazaa message system.

Paul_NFFC
05-18-2003, 07:39 PM
yes i know the RIAA are aiming to send 1million of these every week to people uploading and downloadingmp3's

mind telling me what file you was downloading or uploading when you got this message please?

Sasage
05-18-2003, 08:01 PM
I believe that it was Boys II Men - Yesterday.

i8gtmf
05-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Get peerguardian :) and keep it updated mines shut ports on several bad ip's

richj
05-18-2003, 08:48 PM
I got the same message then two weeks later my ISP contact me thretening to shut off my service, they said someone complained

tarzan
05-19-2003, 02:26 AM
I got the message too,but it was a week or so ago.
then my firewall lit up for about 2 days with hella intrusion blocks *shrugs*
connection?

OlderThanDirt
05-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Everytime I hear about one of these instant-message receptions, I see in my mind the old image of a Dutch boy standing in front of a dike ... putting his finger in a leaking hole, certain it would hold back the ocean. ;)

Ad
05-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Everytime I hear about one of these instant-message receptions, I see in my mind the old image of a Dutch boy standing in front of a dike ... putting his finger in a leaking hole, certain it would hold back the ocean.  :blink: :blink:

anyway i havnt ahd the warning yet

clocker
05-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@20 May 2003 - 08:03
Everytime I hear about one of these instant-message receptions, I see in my mind the old image of a Dutch boy standing in front of a dike ... putting his finger in a leaking hole, certain it would hold back the ocean. ;)
http://www.bybee.com/image/sisy.jpg

another apropos image :P

jetje
05-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Paul_NFFC@18 May 2003 - 21:39
yes i know the RIAA are aiming to send 1million of these every week to people uploading and downloadingmp3's

Where is that adress you can send your unwanted spam to.

Thought there is an american law you can turn in mass mailers or spammers... :lol: :lol:

Fatal Error
05-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Ok folks.. for those that are interested. ;)

www.musicunited.net is registered to the RIAA but the IP: 66.113.130.207 traces back to a company called HOSTWAY.. the IP ranges are: 66.113.128.0 - 66.113.255.255

mail for musicunited.net is handled by: mail.musicunited.net :D :D

ijc_2003
05-20-2003, 03:44 PM
looks like propganda to me fook them all, i got 300 albums to share shortly.

Caplet
05-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Where can I get Peer Guardian and directions on using it. Thanks in advance.

Fatal Error
05-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Caplet@20 May 2003 - 13:51
Where can I get Peer Guardian and directions on using it. Thanks in advance.
You can get Peer Guardian here (http://www.simply-click.org/uploadertest/pg2.asp) the latest version is 1.96b.. and while you're there, make sure you update your blocklist. :D

RealitY
05-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@20 May 2003 - 15:03
Yes, as I have said, "throwing rocks at a tidal wave", as they will only force to create a bigger and better monster.

Caplet
05-20-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the help. After 1 hour of running it I have blocked them 29 times, and it was the same ip addy every time. Thanks alot. :D

OlderThanDirt
05-21-2003, 06:16 AM
The odd thing for me is that I've never encountered hits from IPs considered "unfriendly." There is only one IP that consistently hits on me (and gets blocked) -- 168.160.250.191 -- which Arin.net says is in China.

RealitY
05-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Most likely a hacker if its in China. Though considering your history here and views, my guess is your not sharing high profile material, thus no hits. At times I may get quite a few.

Fatal Error
05-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@21 May 2003 - 02:16
The odd thing for me is that I've never encountered hits from IPs considered "unfriendly."  There is only one IP that consistently hits on me (and gets blocked) -- 168.160.250.191 -- which Arin.net says is in China.
Indeed..it is odd, I just ran a whois on that IP out of sheer curiosity to see what I could find.

Net Range: 168.160.0.0 - 168.160.255.255
Tech Handle: YL-16-Arin

No reverse DNS has been configured for this IP.
TraceRoute terminates to an unknown IP address.
The provided technical contact information does not exist.
The registration info for this network has been reported to be invalid.

LOL.. you have a real mystery here OTD. :o :blink: :ph34r:

OlderThanDirt
05-22-2003, 08:19 AM
REALITY wrote:

Though considering your history here and views, my guess is your not sharing high profile material, thus no hits.

Exactly. It would be interesting if someone close to the industry could actually come out and say what IS high profile material ... a "target-artist" list or a "target-timeframe" list. Still, that Chinese IP is persistent. Maybe I inadvertently pissed off a Chinese hacker but can't figure out how I did it, hehe.

Fatal Error
05-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@22 May 2003 - 04:19

REALITY wrote:

Though considering your history here and views, my guess is your not sharing high profile material, thus no hits.

Exactly. It would be interesting if someone close to the industry could actually come out and say what IS high profile material ... a "target-artist" list or a "target-timeframe" list. Still, that Chinese IP is persistent. Maybe I inadvertently pissed off a Chinese hacker but can't figure out how I did it, hehe.
Ok.. I'm gonna put this out there for your consideration..

It has been my experience, and observation, over the past two weeks that I have been blocking connection attempts on PeerGuardian even while I am NOT on a P2P program.. so therefore, it would appear that the likes of RIAA , et al are attempting to scan computers even when they are NOT actively engaged in uploading or downloading "copyrighted material".. :angry:

I have some very serious reservations regarding the legality of this practice.

I read your posts with interest.. I enjoy them, and would venture to say that I have read them all, and in no instance have I observed a remark or comment that would make you a "target" of anyone. As I had stated in a above post the "technical contact" information for this network is bogus.. or I would of suggested that you contact the network administrator by e-mail and simply asked "Whats up?" :huh:

It's also been my experience that almost all "warning letters" are generated as a result of a user allowing uploads of movie or game files.. these would appear to be the targets..not so much .mp3 Just out of curiosity, I'm going to add that IP to my blocklist, and I'll advise you of any activity.. This may, or may not be exclusive to you, we shall see. :D

RealitY
05-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@22 May 2003 - 09:19
Exactly. It would be interesting if someone close to the industry could actually come out and say what IS high profile material ... a "target-artist" list or a "target-timeframe" list.
As stated, high profile at the moment would be items such as Matrix. Generally current movie titles under a month old. At least this is what my cable company explained to me.

RealitY
05-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Fatal Error@22 May 2003 - 15:39
It has been my experience, and observation, over the past two weeks that I have been blocking connection attempts on PeerGuardian even while I am NOT on a P2P program.. so therefore, it would appear that the likes of RIAA , et al are attempting to scan computers even when they are NOT actively engaged in uploading or downloading "copyrighted material".. :angry:

I find this VERY DISTURBING if true. I Leave my PG visible most of the time and have watched when it is active. First, whenever I have high profile names in my shared folder, even if it is not the item itself but only a a trailer, you know who pops up. Second, whenever I start to download a fake with few sources, AVIFAKES pops up. If what you say is true, which IP's, and are they known ones? If so, I would report this activity immediatly. I might also add, I change my IP regularly these days.

Fatal Error
05-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by REALITY+22 May 2003 - 13:44--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REALITY @ 22 May 2003 - 13:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Fatal Error@22 May 2003 - 15:39
It has been my experience, and observation, over the past two weeks that I have been blocking connection attempts on PeerGuardian even while I am NOT on a P2P program.. so therefore, it would appear that the likes of RIAA , et al are attempting to scan computers even when they are NOT actively engaged in uploading or downloading "copyrighted material"..&nbsp; :angry:

I find this VERY DISTURBING if true. I Leave my PG visible most of the time and have watched when it is active. First, whenever I have high profile names in my shared folder, even if it is not the item itself but only a a trailer, you know who pops up. Second, whenever I start to download a fake with few sources, AVIFAKES pops up. If what you say is true, which IP&#39;s, and are they known ones? If so, I would report this activity immediatly. I might also add, I change my IP regularly these days.[/b][/quote]
Your not the only one that finds this very disturbing.. So far, Sony Music Entertainment Inc. is the biggest offender (123 attempts in 6hrs.) at least thats the way its listed on PG..

I did some homework and discovered that the IP range in question is actually registered to a company in NC, called Cable & Wireless so accordingly, I will be adding the entire IP range to the PG Database.

I&#39;m not that concerned because ALL of the IP&#39;s I picked up are known and were sucessfully blocked by PG.. what bothers me is the fact that I&#39;m being scanned while I&#39;m inactive.. I will be letting my attorney handle the complaint.

I have come to the conclusion that the Industry is using software designed to detect fragments of specific files which they are looking for.. in my opinion, this is very dangerous because even a fake or misnamed file could theoretically be detected without authentication of the files validity or actual content.. this is bad enough when your active.. but in my opinion, what they are trying to do in my case, is hack my computer.

As for changing my IP.. this would not be easy as I have a cable connection with a static IP.. I do however, use an anonymous proxy server.. every little bit helps. ;)

RealitY
05-23-2003, 05:34 AM
Static... that sucks.

Speaking of Proxy, have you ever used Socks5 with KaZaa or do you know where to get a reliable one? I have looked around and found lists, but none work, or I could be missing something.

Switeck
05-23-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Fatal Error@22 May 2003 - 16:11
Your not the only one that finds this very disturbing.. So far, Sony Music Entertainment Inc. is the biggest offender (123 attempts in 6hrs.) at least thats the way its listed on PG..

I did some homework and discovered that the IP range in question is actually registered to a company in NC, called Cable & Wireless so accordingly, I will be adding the entire IP range to the PG Database.
Where is the PG Database?

There seems to be multiple ones out there now... :(

RealitY
05-23-2003, 06:56 AM
I mainly use http://www.p2pprivacy.tk/.

OlderThanDirt
05-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Just a teensy request to whoever did this. In an earlier message, I mentioned that persistent Chinese IP -- which is still persistent, I might add. Anyhoo, I just checked for PeerGuardian updates, found the mention of the IP, and noticed that someone posted a "comment" there using the OTD handle. While I do appreciate mention of this matter, I&#39;d appreciate it if you&#39;d not make comments in my name (even the short version of OlderThanDirt) -- especially when they may not be accurate. I added the following to the comment:

The last comment, "The network registration and contact info appears to be bogus..and has been reported invalid" was not made by me. However, I did mention the IP in the KLite forum. Only the POC contact info was reported as invalid, not the network registration -- which belongs to ISSTC, State Science & Technology Commission, Computer Center, 15, Fuxinglu, Beijing, China 100038.

FWIW, here&#39;s the info per ARIN.NET:

ARIN.NET Search results for: 168.160.250.191

OrgName: ISTIC, State Science & Technology Commission, China.
OrgID: ISSTCC
Address: Computer Center,
Address: 15, Fuxinglu
Address: Beijing 100038
City:
StateProv:
PostalCode:

NetRange: 168.160.0.0 - 168.160.255.255
CIDR: 168.160.0.0/16
NetName: SSTC-ISTIC
NetHandle: NET-168-160-0-0-1
Parent: NET-168-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Assignment
NameServer: SUN10.STI.AC.CN
NameServer: NS.IHEP.AC.CN
Comment: The information for POC handle YL16-ARIN has been reported to
Comment: be invalid. ARIN has attempted to obtain updated data, but has
Comment: been unsuccessful. To provide current contact information,
Comment: please email [email protected].
RegDate: 1994-05-23
Updated: 2002-10-07

TechHandle: YL16-ARIN
TechName: Lian, Yachun
TechPhone: 86 1 8515544
TechEmail: [email protected]

One other note. Being in China, you&#39;d think the IP would be listed with APNIC.NET (since it&#39;s Asia/Pacific). However, networks in this IP range (168.0.0.0 - 168.255.255.255) were allocated by InterNIC prior to the formation of Regional Internet Registries (RIRs): APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC and RIPE. In short, the registration is an "old" one ... which may explain why the Technical Contact is no longer valid. And, even though the Contact may be invalid, the Contact&#39;s home domain (per email address) is not. Below is a screen-shot of their http://www.ihep.ac.cn homepage:

http://novelhost.net/captured.jpg

Note that the URL is just "www" with the secondary server name as a suffix. Adding "www" to the primary server name comes up empty in an attempted browse. But, this makes sense because China changed the name of their"State Science & Technology Commission" to the "Ministry of Science & Technology" in 1998 ... and their English homepage is http://www.most.gov.cn/English/ (http://www.most.gov.cn/English/index.htm). I assume they just changed their server name and not the IP range (and just didn&#39;t bother to update the new name/contact info to ARIN.NET).

P.S. BTW, if you visit the Ministry&#39;s website, click on "Copy Right Law" in the left column. Interesting rules ... especially Article 21 which gives creators life + 50 years protection. Hmm, their law was enacted in 1990. Kinda makes you wonder where the US got its life + 50 years idea from.

Fatal Error
05-23-2003, 04:28 PM
[/QUOTE]Where is the PG Database?

There seems to be multiple ones out there now... [QUOTE]

PeerGuardian 2 IP Database (http://www.simply-click.org/uploadertest/pg2.asp)

Fatal Error
05-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@23 May 2003 - 01:34
Static... that sucks.

Speaking of Proxy, have you ever used Socks5 with KaZaa or do you know where to get a reliable one? I have looked around and found lists, but none work, or I could be missing something.
Yup..it does.

Ahhh.. I have never used a Socks5 Proxy, and really dont know that much about them.. However, you might want to check here (http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl) I use this site occasionally for my anonymous proxies.. there is also some good information here.

Sorry that I couldnt be of more help to you.

Edit:removed dead link

OlderThanDirt
05-24-2003, 02:01 AM
Fatal Error wrote:

However, you might want to check here I use this site occasionally for my anonymous proxies.. there is also some good information here.

Pardon my ignorance here. Except for ZoneAlarm, I&#39;ve never used a proxy server or (until today) PeerGuardian. When I put PG online, it took absolutely no hits at all over several hours ... which I assume is because ZoneAlarm bounced the sniffs. Anyhoo, I went to the page you linked to and noticed something. Some proxy servers are labeled "anonymous" and others "high anonimity." Kinda like saying one woman is pregnant and another woman is very pregnant, hehe. What&#39;s the difference between the two types of anonimity? And, if these proxy servers really hide your IP, why do people use PeerGuardian? I&#39;m pretty confused here.

bago
05-24-2003, 08:33 AM
hi a work mate of mine received this and then his isp contacted him saying that the riaa had requested them to block his internet access due to file sharing , his isp did not block it this time but gave him a warnibg so now he moves his files that are subject to copy write protection to a sepaerate file, and only leaves non copywrite material in his shared folder.

however he makes the files available upon request if required

Switeck
05-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@23 May 2003 - 21:01
Pardon my ignorance here.&nbsp; Except for ZoneAlarm, I&#39;ve never used a proxy server or (until today) PeerGuardian.&nbsp; When I put PG online, it took absolutely no hits at all over several hours ... which I assume is because ZoneAlarm bounced the sniffs.
And, if these proxy servers really hide your IP, why do people use PeerGuardian?&nbsp; I&#39;m pretty confused here.Because Kazaa Lite++ and most any other file sharing program REQUIRES direct ip connections to work. Proxy servers make the route indirect, but breaks file sharing programs functionality often in whole or in part.

Proxy servers make no distinction on who you connect to, only that you don&#39;t supposedly give out your ip address as a condition of that connection.

Peer Guardian makes no distinction on how you connect, only on who you connect to.

Zone Alarm probably won&#39;t block the kinds of sniffing the RIAA/MPAA/BSA is doing, because it appears as either &#39;allowed web traffic&#39; or &#39;Kazaa Lite++ traffic&#39; -- which you HAD to allow to get Kazaa Lite++ working in the first place.

OlderThanDirt
05-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Switeck wrote:

Because Kazaa Lite++ and most any other file sharing program REQUIRES direct ip connections to work.

Hmm ... so people using proxy servers have to use "special" P2P utilities? Which ones? It seems to me that PeerGuardian may only be of temporary benefit. I&#39;m assuming RIAA et al make it a habit to download the blocklists, too, to find a way around them.

Fatal Error
05-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@23 May 2003 - 22:01

Fatal Error wrote:

However, you might want to check here I use this site occasionally for my anonymous proxies.. there is also some good information here.

Pardon my ignorance here. Except for ZoneAlarm, I&#39;ve never used a proxy server or (until today) PeerGuardian. When I put PG online, it took absolutely no hits at all over several hours ... which I assume is because ZoneAlarm bounced the sniffs. Anyhoo, I went to the page you linked to and noticed something. Some proxy servers are labeled "anonymous" and others "high anonimity." Kinda like saying one woman is pregnant and another woman is very pregnant, hehe. What&#39;s the difference between the two types of anonimity? And, if these proxy servers really hide your IP, why do people use PeerGuardian? I&#39;m pretty confused here.
I think that Switeck&#39;s post probably already cleared up most of your confusion.. Nice explanation Switeck ;)

Anonymous proxy servers are generally used to browse the internet, while keeping YOUR IP concealled and prevented from being logged by the likes of IP harvesting software, your IP can be tracked, and therefore, any website that you visit. People do this for several reasons,usually to avoid scrutiny of "prying eyes" but it also works well in reducing the number of "spam lists" that you may otherwise end up on.

Some important things to remember about the use of proxies:

1) That in almost ALL cases the use of a proxy WILL slow down your internet connection speed. How Much?.. this depends on the proxy you use, so its VERY important that you select one that will give you a good connection speed.

2) Most proxies have a short life. So it&#39;s important that they be checked regularly (I check daily) to make sure that they are in fact working and functioning properly.

I personally use proxies configured for use on PORT 80 (http) to avoid functionality problems with other programs that I use..otherwise, you may not be able to access certain programs like Hotmail which are "secure" and require authentication.

LOL.. I liked your analogy of "pregnant" or " VERY pregnant".. in truth, you are NOT that far off the mark.. :lol: :lol: the difference is in the number of clients the proxy is routed through. "high anonimity" uses more and tends to be much slower, but more secure.. these are used by people that are exchanging "National Security Secrets" where security is the issue.. not speed. :lol: :lol: In most cases "anonymous" works just fine. I still download files on KL @ up to 170kbps.. works for me. :D

btw: It&#39;s been 2 days now and I havent gotten any hits on my PG from your "Chinese friend".. what did you do that he is being so persistent, pee on his chow mein?&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol: or did you forget to leave a tip at the resturant . Ahhhhhh.. for you today, a very "special sauce".. :lol: :lol:

Fatal Error
05-24-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@24 May 2003 - 10:15

Switeck wrote:

Because Kazaa Lite++ and most any other file sharing program REQUIRES direct ip connections to work.

Hmm ... so people using proxy servers have to use "special" P2P utilities? Which ones? It seems to me that PeerGuardian may only be of temporary benefit. I&#39;m assuming RIAA et al make it a habit to download the blocklists, too, to find a way around them.
I dont use any "special p2p utilities".

Here is some information for those that may not know how to install a proxy:

To enable a proxy server in Netscape, go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Proxies. Choose "Manual Proxy Configuration," then click the View button and enter the proxy&#39;s hostname and port number in the WWW field.

To enable a proxy server in IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections. If you use a dialup connection, click the "Settings" button next to the dialup properties box. If you have a broadband connection, click the "LAN Settings" button instead. Check the "Use a proxy" option, then enter the proxy&#39;s hostname and port number in the fields.

I have already posted a link to a good proxy list in an above post.. I would suggest adding it to your favorites, or placing a shortcut to it on your desktop... so its always "handy."

I hope this information has helped someone.. If there are any questions.. just ask them in the "Software World" forum.. I&#39;m sure that many people can answer your question(s)

Happy Burning &#33; :ph34r:

RealitY
05-25-2003, 10:01 AM
I have not checked your links yet but...

In most cases "anonymous" works just fine. I still download files on KL @ up to 170kbps.. works for me.
How do you use a proxy for KaZaa? Does it not work differently than IE etc...