PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried newsgroups...if yes how was your experience!!!

gamer4eva
01-03-2007, 11:12 PM
So:-

1.) Went to NG and dumped it after a month because you missed Bittorrent.:dry:
2.) Went to NG and liked it but still use both.:P
3.) Use NG and forget everything else.:w00t:
4.) You are such a big Bittorent fanatic that you will never go NG.:lol:

NG stands for Newsgroup.

Went to NG and dumped it after a month because you missed Bittorrent. For me :lol:

pECi
01-03-2007, 11:20 PM
well i used them for a couple of days but i got lost didn't find stuff better than on trackers...my speed was maxed out but if didn't found stuff i got bored and left NG maybe i will try again someday i dunno

gamer4eva
01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah NG usually maxes out speeds which is the bare advantage but so does BT when you have decent sites to access.

Hanz™
01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Newsgroups are great for picking new stuff up to seed on bittorrent sites.
Also you can get stuff on newsgroups that would otherwise harm your ratio to much to even consider. For example; I like to get a lot of HD stuff from newsgroups as downloading a 25GB movie on newsgroups is not really so much of a big deal but there is no way that I'd do that on any bittorrent site.

There isn't really that much of a difference in pre-time on newsgroups and bittorrent nowadays.
The only difference is that newsgroups contain some older or more unusual stuff that wouldn't be worth the bother of seeding on bittorrent.
And that you have a greater quantity of stuff available all the time on bittorrent (on newsgroups stuff changes all the time, but there is always less than what bittorrent has at any one time).

To be honest I prefer newsgroups for speed because I will always max out on them, while with bittorrent I will only max out on very popular torrents on the rarer trackers.

I think the two go pretty well together.

RealitY
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
This might be biased based on section posted to...
:unsure: :lol:

gamer4eva
01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Your description is good for newbies thanks for that!!!

gamer4eva
01-03-2007, 11:32 PM
This might be biased based on section posted to...
:unsure: :lol:

Take it easy brother.....:w00t:

Fulanito
01-03-2007, 11:35 PM
BT is the best, myabe i try NG some day :d

pECi
01-03-2007, 11:35 PM
well i think it's about bittorrent users opinions about newsgroups:)

XF95
01-04-2007, 12:18 AM
i use both bittorrent and newsgroups. if you have a good provider and know where to look there's much more available to you than on trackers at any one time. stuff like pda or gps software is much easier to find on newsgroups. you can find thousands of good quality audio albums in just one group one day and then thousands of different one in the same group the next day.
i find that most trackers have pretty much the same stuff on them but their advantage is how long its there compared to newsgroups.

xgt
01-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Voted for ''Went to NG and dumped it after a month because you missed Bittorrent. '' but in reality i dumped it after a day because my isp's news server sucks. If you pay for a decent news server heard its a really good choice but for me, bt 4 life :D

Nemesis®
01-04-2007, 12:40 AM
been using NG for a long time and it is great but I don't limit myself to any one scene, it's all or nothing. FTP, NG, torrent, IRC bots, Fserve, and a few other places :D

Picked up a killer 200 gigabyte MP3 collection all originally released scene MP3 with original sfv, m3u, nfo and dir structure intact :lol:

Like most places your plagued with repacks because lame asses seem to like ripping apart original images get them corrupted waste some more time repacking them ending up with bigger than you had before archive pfft
at least original scene stuff you can always fix them if you end up with 1 or more bad files at any time. Not with home rpack your screwed beings that needle is to small to find in the net hay pile!! no one wants them other than those who don't have a clue.

gamer4eva
01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
The only thing that i would consider better than BT is axx to a FTP ring where you can dl all the scene you want although stuff like that is hard to come by and usually costs. :(

IntrepidVixen
01-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Newsgroups were so much more confusing and I was missing bits all over the place. I just got a bit frustrated with having to keep such an eye on it - although that might have been the client I was using. BT is so much easier.

DefX
01-09-2007, 09:39 PM
At the expense of sounding like a noob, dont u hav to pay to download in newsgroups?

gamer4eva
01-09-2007, 10:26 PM
At the expense of sounding like a noob, dont u hav to pay to download in newsgroups?

Yes but there was this one Newsgroup provider that gave free access to server for all december.:D

They taken it off now. You can use your ISP newsgroup server but they tend to be bad. There are some free ones roaming on net but they cap you at low DL speeds. Best is to pay for access.;)

DefX
01-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Yes but there was this one Newsgroup provider that gave free access to server for all december.:D

They taken it off now. You can use your ISP newsgroup server but they tend to be bad. There are some free ones roaming on net but they cap you at low DL speeds. Best is to pay for access.;)

oh ok. thanks for info :) But ill stick with BT for now.

Sneakydave
01-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I used that december provider for a while but nothing i saw made me wanna pay for access, i couldnt find much old stuff and some of the new stuff i grabbed had parts missing when it finally finished. Plus it was slower than the 0 day site i use, although that might jsut be because of the extra strain the server was under during the free month?

General2k
01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Tried them once and didn't care for it, mainly because I didn't understand how they work.Tried it again about a week later, read some tutorial on it and now I find it awesome.
My ISP allows me access but not all that great though, but good enough for about 7 days retention, any holes in their service are easily filled with some other free ones. I keep pretty good tabs as to what is being posted where and the 7 days retention is more than enough for my needs.
I still use Torrents for the exclusive stuff.

jasonwayne
01-09-2007, 11:14 PM
ive used BT, Edonkey, the lot newsgroups is the only place i get 1200kbs all day all night (thats my max like) no queing no stoping it just says 1201kbs constant was lucky to get 100kbs-200kbs with BT and the Donkey

once you go newsgroups and understand it you never go back

LinkS v2.0
01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
People how say bittorrent has more stuff are nubs or didnt try newsgroups

they have 100s of tetra bytes maybe thousands.

Cheese
01-10-2007, 01:29 AM
BitTorrent vs. Usenet (http://www.slyck.com/story1376.html)

Conclusion – Decisive Usenet Victory

switchtrey
01-10-2007, 04:07 AM
Cheese - that was THE best article i think i have EVER read.

on anything
ever.

thankyou so much, now i understand newsgroups.

gamer4eva
01-10-2007, 06:53 AM
BitTorrent vs. Usenet (http://www.slyck.com/story1376.html)

Conclusion – Decisive Usenet Victory

It wasn't about which is better it is about how each individuals experience with NG went.:lol:

Never mind aslong as people find it useful its ok.:P

h4mm44d
01-10-2007, 07:51 AM
I've had two excursions in to the world of newsgroups, the first, a long time ago, was a disaster managed to get a few small files fast but just could not locate content and the number of groups seemed overwhelming, so I gaveup an returned to torrents.

However, recently after discovering the great newsgroups section of FST and their NZB's, I gave it another shot it maxxed out my connection and I found the experience great, probably because it felt more like using torrents.

Overall, I still prefer torrents as there fast, simple and I like the whole community aspect to it, and as much as seeding and maintaining a good ratio can be a pain in the a*se sometimes, it is quite rewarding when you seed a torrent to a 5230.278: 1 ratio!

thedude0
01-10-2007, 09:29 AM
i still use it, it has tons of old scene releases

YuckF00
01-10-2007, 01:39 PM
personally I have never liked newsgroups for downloading. Torrents are the way to go for all my downloads. :D

gamer4eva
01-10-2007, 03:56 PM
i still use it, it has tons of old scene releases

Yeah it does but i stopped NG for a bit. I think i might go back for a while.:huh:

babun
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Wat the hell is Newsgroup ?!

gamer4eva
01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Wat the hell is Newsgroup ?!

Damnn you need to be filled in on quite a lot don't you. :lol:

Nardz
01-11-2007, 01:56 AM
i use both bittorrent and newsgroups. i like newgroups because it maxes out my bandwidth. but they suck because you don't have the sense of community like you do with private trackers. If i lived in another country (not US where I'm most likely to get caught when uploading taragigs of shizz) and had a sweet upload speed or access to an affordable seedbox i would definitely go with only bittorrent but i have non so usenet it is.

gidneyboy
01-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I have had a quick look into news groups but it took long enough to get my head around bittorrent so that is as far as i got really.

gamer4eva
01-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Bittorent was the easiest for me. NG wasn't hard either.