PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need ssl encryption for newsgroups?

neotoky
01-04-2007, 12:27 AM
I can't decide which usenet I should get. It's either newshosting or giganews. Newshosting is cheaper, but doesn't have ssl encrytion and giganews is more expensive, but has ssl encryption. I was wondering which one is better and do you really need ssl encryption if usenet is already safe enough. thanks.

MultiForce
01-04-2007, 02:06 AM
If you are in a pretty civilized country without ISP spies at your door it shouldn't be a problem to skip the SSL thingie.

If you where to get caught doing anything it would be through you account on the server anyway (like they go to Giganews and requests account info because you are uploading).

neotoky
01-04-2007, 03:26 AM
I didn't get your last sentence. Do you mean that i do not need the ssl encrytion. thanks for replying to my posts.

MultiForce
01-04-2007, 03:40 AM
You can skip SSL.

Giganews/Newshosting won't give away any name/account info if there is no court order. And nobody cares who is downloading, just the ones uploading.

thedude0
01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
SSL encryption for newsgroups is totally useless and a waste of money.

Hanz™
01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
SSL is not needed. It just makes noobs feel safer.

neotoky
01-04-2007, 09:46 PM
thanks for the reply guys

0ctane
01-08-2007, 01:42 AM
it probably make your download speed slower aswell being encrpyted on the fly .

Prevision
01-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Total waste of money unless you think someone will intercept your packets before reaching the server and, unless you're a high priority criminal or terrorist, i don't see that happening. But if you are then the government/agency would just go to the newsgroup provider directly

digitrifecta
01-26-2007, 04:02 PM
SSL for the usenet is not completely useless. Sometimes ISPs will use traffic shaping to throttle the speeds of specific types of traffic like Usenet (NNTP), using SSL prevents this. Also I use it so that I can download bins at work and nobody knows :D It's 100Mb line ;)

Also, screw giganews, if you need SSL try Usenetserver, they offer SSL access free with all acounts. Hope this helps.

MultiForce
01-26-2007, 06:49 PM
SSL for the usenet is not completely useless. Sometimes ISPs will use traffic shaping to throttle the speeds of specific types of traffic like Usenet (NNTP), using SSL prevents this. Also I use it so that I can download bins at work and nobody knows :D It's 100Mb line ;)

Also, screw giganews, if you need SSL try Usenetserver, they offer SSL access free with all acounts. Hope this helps.

I don't agree with that "screw Giganews" thingie as I have used them since 06/26/2005 (average of 330GB per month) and I have NEVER had any down time or other problems at all. That's not the case with the other providers (just look at this forum). I rather want to pay a few $ more for quality.

geen
01-26-2007, 07:14 PM
This has been posted on the frontpage and said before: http://filesplit.org/2007/01/22/sll-usenet-access-the-real-reasons-if-and-why-you-should-use-it/.
There is no need to use it unless you want secure acces in a network enviroment or your isp shapes/caps your line.

Mpeace
01-26-2007, 11:53 PM
So I can stick with my own method..I have a monkey chasing a banana and it clears out my own address..Works well and banana's are cheap

MultiForce
01-27-2007, 12:08 AM
eMonkey?

kklord
01-27-2007, 12:26 AM

I don't agree with that "screw Giganews" thingie as I have used them since 06/26/2005 (average of 330GB per month) and I have NEVER had any down time or other problems at all. That's not the case with the other providers (just look at this forum). I rather want to pay a few $ more for quality.
Yes, ur right in the fact that giganews is very reliable however, I dont believe its worth the extra money. And since its subscription based, its more than a few dollars that add up over time.

delimare
01-28-2007, 06:34 PM
SSL with Usenetserver DOES NOT hinder my download what-so-ever. Using their encrypted server still gives me 10Mbits/s, maxing out my line. The best part is that the SSL is rolled into any package that is provided by Usenetserver. They may not have 90 day retention like Giganews but their 10 connections and cheap prices along with 75 day retention make them a great choice.

geen
01-28-2007, 09:34 PM
The problem with SSL aint bandwith but cpu usage. It can add 30% more cpu load to the companies serverfarm. I dont know whats the difference for us users.

acemanep
02-02-2007, 04:44 AM
u use Usenetserver. how fast is the service they offering???