PDA

View Full Version : Why audio books?

kittybewm
01-04-2007, 03:18 PM
I've never tried audio books before and I don't really have any desire too. It seems like tons of people are getting more into it and I was wondering what's so great about it? Do you prefer audio books vs regular books? Explain.

booksbooksbooksbooksbooks :01:

Barbarossa
01-04-2007, 03:19 PM
good for when you're driving in the car I would imagine, when turning the pages could be problematic.

Also good for paraplegics.

petra1210
01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Audio books are good when you're driving in the car -> agree with Bararossa :yup:
I love books sooo much but sometimes im listening to fairytales (X-mas time :happy: ) or some nice stories when im having hangover cause im so lazy then :pinch:
I prefer regular books of course!!!
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1356/c15cvr1.jpg

bornwithnoname
01-06-2007, 11:55 PM
I listen to audiobooks while I am driving. I read print books when I am at home. Some audiobooks have background music and some fx which gives a nice touch.

ryharrin
01-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Its definitely for driving for me. Also, I'm a librarian, and I say anything to get people into books is ok with me. Even if it means they have to listen to them.

Timer
01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
unfortunately, I can't use the driving excuse yet (soon though...). So I'll just have to go with the truth: I'm lazy!
I'm not sure what i prefer, because even though audiobooks are definitely easier than regular books, there's something special in sitting down and just reading.
over all, i read more books than i listen to audio books, but it depends on the situation.

midna
01-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Definately great for long trips whether I be driving, flying, or a passenger in either. Also, when I'm tired I don't have to have my eyes awake to be "reading" my book.

roxz
01-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Laziness is the key issue here, people juz dun want to use their eyes lol.

thewizeard
01-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Audio books are also handy if you are blind...or just can't read.

Mr JP Fugley
01-17-2007, 01:14 AM
It's really not a case of being either / or. I read books, I listen to audiobooks.

I started with the audiobooks when I used to do long journeys by coach. I couldn't read because it made me feel sick and I couldn't concentrate on the book. So I started to listen to them instead. I found that I could close my eyes and become engrossed in the book, radio show, whatever and enjoy what would otherwise have been a worthless day. I could also watch what was going on around me e.g the scenery and still enjoy my listening.

For me it's a case of having as many options open as possible. Listening to Wodehouse done well is an entirely different experience from reading his works. Whether it be an audiobook or a radio play. The trick is not to be a snob about it. If you like it, cool. If you don't like it, also cool. I'd rather someone listened to a great work than didn't experience it at all.

In fact, let's be honest people, to watch a well made film of a Shakespeare play is probably nearer what he intended than reading the books. They are plays ffs, they aren't intended to be read.

General2k
01-17-2007, 03:11 AM
Everyone learns in different ways. Some reading, writing, listening, or whatever.
Personally I prefer listening to audio books instead of reading in vehicles. I start to feel sick when I read as a passenger and when I'm driving the reason should be obvious.

Brenya
06-26-2007, 06:53 AM
lack of money is the only reason is download audio books instead of buying my own pay-pa books.
i can't stand ebooks. If i have to read one, I print it out.

crabmed
06-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I prefer books over audio ones..i love to READ.

samsung2005
06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
lack of money is the only reason is download audio books instead of buying my own pay-pa books.
i can't stand ebooks. If i have to read one, I print it out.

i subscribe to that !
i also print them out !
instead i like waching videos because my visual memory is better !

crimsonhelkyte
06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
if your blind and can't read brail, so you can relax and listen, maybe your illiterate and cant read

Hairbautt
06-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Books > Audiobooks

I sometimes wish I had audiobooks tho' because my eyes tire fast. Tried d/ling one and the damn thing was abridged. :fist:

scwsVNfl
06-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Audio books are good when you're driving in the car -> agree with Bararossa :yup:
I love books sooo much but sometimes im listening to fairytales (X-mas time :happy: ) or some nice stories when im having hangover cause im so lazy then :pinch:
I prefer regular books of course!!!
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1356/c15cvr1.jpg

wow, is that your personal library. if so, it's pretty impressive.

letholori
07-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I prefer reading, but sometimes it's nice to listen to a book instead, it's just hard to find good audiobooks. You don't only have to find a good book, but also a good reader...

bornwithnoname
07-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Scott Brick is an excellent reader.

vobilli
07-30-2007, 02:45 PM
I recently got into audiobooks myself, my first being "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. The reader was amazing, having such fierce emotion that you could really feel throughout the book. Before audiobooks I found it difficult to completely understand which emotions the author wanted the readers to feel. And now with the audio versions, I can sit through the books longer than I could when physically reading (I get very fidgety)

GoldStoNe
01-25-2008, 06:05 AM
I like listening to audiobooks at night when I would rather rest my eyes from a busy day's work. But for better absorption and appreciation on what is in the book, I prefer reading.

I would like to try reading and listening to a book at the same time. There's a study which shows that people retain more when they use two sensory organs at the same time (sense of sight and hearing). :D

punki_rach
01-29-2008, 05:33 AM
I listen to them in the car, but only if it's a long journey cos I prefer my music. I've always wanted to try listening to one all night and seeing if I can remember the plot when I wake up though but I've never got round to it

BurntBlue
01-30-2008, 04:13 AM
I like bein' read to as i go to sleep...they're like bedtime stories, except better...

GoldStoNe
01-30-2008, 04:49 AM
I like bein' read to as i go to sleep...they're like bedtime stories, except better...

LOL that's an interesting idea. :D I used to read books to help me fall asleep. I guess I'm going to try listening to story audiobooks to help me sleep. :)

BurntBlue
02-10-2008, 06:16 AM
I just finished the GOlden Compass, it was great :P I'm on the second one..love it!

odinb
02-18-2008, 02:00 AM
whenever commuting - metro, car, plane, taxi, basically constantly listening to audiobooks unless doing another task that does not allow this.

pirateofpapu
02-20-2008, 04:44 PM
I guess no one has said this, I listen to audio books while exercising. I like to exercise my brain also when my muscles are engaged in lifting weights or running/jogging. :)