PDA

View Full Version : Irc Vs Bitorrent

slimboyfatz
05-19-2003, 07:51 AM
This is a semi noob question in the respect that i aint used IRC much (bittorent quite a lot)...
Which is quicker for say downloading a movie, once you've got to grips with IRC (im talkin download speeds). ;)

thegroggman
05-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Well there are a lot of variables to factor in. But if you find a reliable irc source you can get amazing download speeds (especially if you have cable/dsl and up). Then again if enough people are seeding on Bittorrent ive gone up to 180k down...so it all depends. I guess if you ignore that sometimes you have to wait in line for like 4 hours, just to be able to download the film...irc has a slight advantage. But I still prefer bittorrent just because of its reliability and ease of use.

RealitY
05-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Bittorent seems better, since the Q in IRC these days sucks.

Wizzandabe
05-21-2003, 08:31 PM
IRC is so hard to use.

Jibbler
05-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@21 May 2003 - 16:28
Bittorent seems better, since the Q in IRC these days sucks.
Well, you have to take the good with the bad. Lots of IRC channels are registering with IRCspy and packetnews, so lots of people are using IRC. Its growing at a really fast rate. This is great for filesharing, but shitty for the average user. Sitting in que sucks, there is no getting around this. However, there are some really great IRC channels which are not on IRC spy. You just have to ask around to find the really good ones. Bittorrent is fast, but only when a file has lots of complete sources. Otherwise, its only slightly faster than emule. :huh:

gaun
05-23-2003, 06:22 PM
i find irc bots really un reliable at keeping the connection open i go to bed............wake up and it has failed.
what am i doin wrong, i have t1 so it shudnt go below the minimums speeds of tha bot

Jibbler
05-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Sometimes they just timeout. Sometimes the user will reboot, could be any number of things. Just keep trying, there isn't alot you can do.

However, there are some IRC scripts that you can use to re-que the file when you are away from your pc. Search for IRC scripts in google, you'll find more than you bargained for. I use Autoget and XDCCv. B)

sam71
05-25-2003, 03:07 AM
IRC is not hard to use, more like a pain to use because you can never find quality stuff or exactly what you want. I don't like vcd,bin, tar, svcd, mpg, or crappy quality stuff that's being the most abundant on it. Usually i delete all of it, because it's a waste of my harddrive space.
i DON'T use BT much either cause, same reason as above ^
Its either Kazaa, or DC for me.

fearx
05-26-2003, 11:55 AM
ive used everything out there and just the last month ive started using IRC for warez and i think it is the best thing out there if u want 0day VCD,Divx and games. I still use kazaa but only for old dvdrips or mp3s. it just takes time to get used to irc, if you use ircspy.com for example and search for matrix reloaded ctp, you will find lots of bots on highspeed (i know a channel full of 100mbit bots) connections but if the releace is really new (like out that day) you will have a hard time getting it. i normally hang about until a bot advertises it and jump into get it. email me @ [email protected] if you want that server/chan with bot with upload speeds of 8MB/S.

{I}{K}{E}
05-26-2003, 12:01 PM
IRC is the best place for new movies/games!! if you use IRCspy.com you can find bots with speeds up to 5000 kb/s !!

(IRC is not hard to use, you just need some time to now how it works)

The good thing off Bittorent is that you share your files at the same time when you downloading

LINDOREZ
05-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Its got to be bittorent!

With mirc you get good download speeds, but you usually have to que for hours, if not days for large files.

Bittorent is instant downloading, slow but steady. Though bittorent is only good for about a week after the file comes out, then its really slow :D

KravenX
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
definitely bittorent. Glad we`ve sorted this out :lol:

chillincool
04-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Nobody knows how to spell queue? geez :P

saqib
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
quite old topic imo :)

yayyyyyy
04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
irc is sooooo sloooow...

it's nearly impossible to find an iroffer on a 100mbit pipe capable to push out 100mbit to a single slot... on the other side istead on every fresh torrent on ScT or other similar sites you can download from MULTIPLE 100mbit/gbit boxes at the same time.......

claudandus
04-10-2008, 05:06 PM
you can download from MULTIPLE 100mbit/gbit boxes at the same time.......

100 gigabits boxxes ? :w00t: plx shows me where, i want one! :shutup:
</silly jokingmode>

XDCC is usefull fo anime :happy: i sometimes use it if i CBA to go google for some older animesources as most of the fansubbers have them all sorted on thier bots :)

for the downloading of fresh stuff i'd preffer FTP, or Torrents

tough FTP is cooler iMHO:)

colbert
04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
I'll take a 100 Gbit box please ;)

Blackbeard
04-11-2008, 12:23 AM
I use irc a lot, it's pretty easy after you know what to do, but i only use irc to talk on not to download speeds sucks on there..

dythim
04-11-2008, 06:49 AM
I use both bt and irc. Many of my friends have access to private trackers and we also run private irc chans. We serve all types of content through iroffer bots running on our seedboxes and so if I'm not around, I will usually find what I need on their bots and vice versa. It works out very nicely.

However, if you go into the public irc chans, sometimes it's fast, sometimes not. I would never do that again as there is no need with the great trackers around.

yayyyyyy
04-11-2008, 09:21 AM
you can download from MULTIPLE 100mbit/gbit boxes at the same time.......

</silly jokingmode>

100mbit SLASH gbit :P

TP635
04-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Record breaking old thread reincarnation.

B4ss
04-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Bittorent is better

RainRoofer
04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Can anyone post some little guide how to start off with irc ? I never tried it.

claudandus
04-11-2008, 11:13 PM
</silly jokingmode>

100mbit SLASH gbit :P

*noted* ^^