PDA

View Full Version : dead machine. HELP

lee551
01-08-2007, 03:54 AM
so i get back from xmas break and i set up my computer again. when i plugged it in, the power light came on, which isn't normal. when i power it up it sounded normal and everything seemed to be spinning/running, but the display wouldn't come up.

my monitor is really old so i was kinda hoping it had died. no such luck. the tower did the same thing using my roommate's monitor. i unplugged 1 of the 2 hdds and 1 of the 2 cd drives to see if it was having power issues. no different. tried maximum/minimum amount of peripherals plugged in. no change.

when i changed power cords, the tower's light didn't come on and wouldn't even when i powered it up. then it turned itself off and refused to turn on again. then with some more tinkering i have it turning on, but without the light coming on and still no video. when it turned on after dying, i got one solid beep.

emachines
amd athlon xp 2600
512mb ram

psu? :ermm:

Virtualbody1234
01-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Disconnect all unneeded parts for bootup.
Leave only:
PSU
Mobo
CPU
1 stick RAM
Video card

Clear CMOS and try booting up.

lee551
01-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Leave only:
PSU
Mobo
CPU
1 stick RAM
Video card

just tried this. same thing happened. nothing displayed.

i also just noticed that there is a red LED1 light on next to the RAM on the mobo.

lynx
01-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Leave only:
PSU
Mobo
CPU
1 stick RAM
Video card

just tried this. same thing happened. nothing displayed.

i also just noticed that there is a red LED1 light on next to the RAM on the mobo.The red led indicates that standby power is getting to the card, that's the normal state. Do the fans spin when you power up? Assuming that the system has some sort of internal speaker or buzzer, do you get any beeps when you attempt to power it up?

Try removing everything from the mobo (video card, CPU, RAM, keyboard mouse) so that all you've got left is the PSU, the motherboard and the front panel and internal speaker connections.

If the fans don't spin now then something is dragging the PSU down, it could be a faulty PSU or faulty motherboard or both. The only way to go any further is by substitution. My bet at this stage would be the PSU, but that's not always the case.

If the fans spin but you still get no beeps then the motherboard is failing to perform Power On Self Test (POST) but you've narrowed the problem down to two components, PSU or motherboard (or both). Again the only way to go any further is by substitution, but my bet this time would be the motherboard.

All this doesn't mean that there won't be other failed components, but you won't find that out until you've got a working motherboard.

Once you've got to that stage (your motherboard performing POST) you can start adding the other components back until your system is working or one or more of them drags the whole system down again.

clocker
01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
eMachines= Bestec PSU.

Chances are, it's the power supply.
If you're lucky (I'd put the odds at 50/50), the motherboard didn't get taken down with it.

lee551
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
The red led indicates that standby power is getting to the card, that's the normal state. Do the fans spin when you power up? Assuming that the system has some sort of internal speaker or buzzer, do you get any beeps when you attempt to power it up?

the fans do spin. i did get one solid beep after i turned it on after it shut itself off, but it hasn't done that again.

i think i will pick up a cheap replacement psu to see if that is the culprit.

clocker
01-08-2007, 06:46 PM
A cheap PSU is almost certainly the root cause of the problem to begin with.

And Manker doesn't think Americans appreciate irony...

lee551
01-08-2007, 08:26 PM
A cheap PSU is almost certainly the root cause of the problem to begin with.

And Manker doesn't think Americans appreciate irony...
yea, i see the irony there, but i need something to test with. why go blow 100 bones on a psu when i am not close to certain i'll be keeping/needing it. if it is the psu, of course i will go and buy a quality one.

i just tried the new psu and there is no change. i'm pretty sure the board is not POSTing tho, so i'm fearing that could be the only thing left.

chip19
01-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I understand your logic, but I have had my entire computer destroyed by a bad (cheap) PSU. The motherboard got whacked, the graphics card got permanently nuts, and even one hard drive died. The moral of the story is to spend the extra cash, as it will be worth it in the end anyway.

And I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but the Best Buy near me lets me return opened items. This way, I can test it and keep it if it works, and bring it back if it doesn't work (no restocking fee if within 30 days).

lee551
01-08-2007, 08:46 PM
And I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but the Best Buy near me lets me return opened items. This way, I can test it and keep it if it works, and bring it back if it doesn't work (no restocking fee if within 30 days).

thats what i just did. i made sure i asked about the return policy (30 days). and yes i know that cheap psus are worthless, but right now that's all i needed. if i need one i will deff be sure to get a good one.

Virtualbody1234
01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
It looks like this is leading towards a whole new computer.

Please don't buy another emachines or even other prebuilt.

Buy good quality parts and build your own.

peat moss
01-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Oh VB , you can find some good white box stores that use good quality parts for a good price . The irony is they usually use a cheap tower and crappy Psu to keep the price down . :frusty:

Thats the beauty of some of the smaller mom and pop stores you can pick your components such as a better psu , more case fans etc.

clocker
01-09-2007, 01:56 AM
It looks like this is leading towards a whole new computer.

Please don't buy another emachines or even other prebuilt.

I really have no problem with eMachines (or any prebuilt for that matter)- my Mom's T series lasted for nearly 5 years and- as far as I know- is still going strong.
If a new PSU will solve the problem, then lee got off lucky and the PC should chug along just fine.
If it's the motherboard as well...OK, then you start thinking of other options.
Depending on one's skill level/ambition a low cost replacement board is certainly do-able and almost certainly the less expensive path to go down.

I guess it depends on the age of the PC and what the user wants/expects from it.
Obviously, almost any new machine would be theoretically superior but that may not be noticeable to a non-poweruser.

peat moss
01-09-2007, 02:26 AM
If I can add , some shops will test your machine for you for a reasonable cost say $20.00 can. to narrow down the problem psu or mobo for example . Not all will but some do .

I always tell friends to save their old parts , I have buddies giving me older systems with 40 gb hdd's ,256 mb ram , 32 mb vid cards etc. when they upgrade to a new computer . Its nice to have an old part like psu or cd -rom to test .

clocker
01-09-2007, 02:40 AM
If I can add , some shops will test your machine for you for a reasonable cost say $20.00 can. to narrow down the problem psu or mobo for example . Not all will but some do .

We test PSUs for free.

It's actually a great sales technique.
Once the case is open ( a miraculous sight to most folks) it's easy to upsell RAM, etc.

peat moss
01-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Ya clocker I think computers just scare most people , was it not your shop that had a build your own computer work shop at your store ?

Where I take my friends the owners invite them in to the back to show what their system looks like in parts ,then offer to let them install the memory or vid card time allowing . Takes all the fear out of it , then they tell two friends and so on . :)

lee551
01-09-2007, 03:15 AM
thank you all for your thoughts/suggestions.

the new psu didn't help anything, so i'm guessing the mobo is gone. i had to drop it off at a shop to see if they can at least diagnose the problem. i called 9 places to check their prices and found one that will look at it for free. it's the quickest way to get my box back. i'd love to keep my pride and just order a few parts, but i really can't wait for stuff to be shipped.

it's been a good machine too. it gets used nonstop and this will be the first piece of hardware requiring replacement. we'll see tomorrow.

peat moss
01-09-2007, 04:14 AM
thank you all for your thoughts/suggestions.

the new psu didn't help anything, so i'm guessing the mobo is gone. i had to drop it off at a shop to see if they can at least diagnose the problem. i called 9 places to check their prices and found one that will look at it for free. it's the quickest way to get my box back. i'd love to keep my pride and just order a few parts, but i really can't wait for stuff to be shipped.

it's been a good machine too. it gets used nonstop and this will be the first piece of hardware requiring replacement. we'll see tomorrow.

No problem at least you'll know , I would n't throw a lot of money at it tho maybe a midrange mobo for $60 .00 can. or there abouts ? :unsure: Asus or the like .

clocker
01-09-2007, 10:08 AM
North Dakota has nine PC repair shops?

Isn't that like one shop per PC then?

chojin
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM

LMAO :D

lee551
01-09-2007, 04:40 PM

oh, that was just below the belt clocka. :P

fortunately i'm in the largest nd city so i have options. it's kinda a you're-a-winner-and-a-loser... situation.

kooftspc11
01-10-2007, 04:09 PM
I have the same Emachine at home.

Just like these other guys already mentioned...its the PSU.

Just hope you didn't fry any part of the board

clocker
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
He already knows he fried the board.

lee551
01-10-2007, 06:29 PM
i have no idea how though. i shut it down, unplugged it, packed it into my car and when i set it up again it was fuct.

clocker
01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Just a real world example of the cliche "Shit Happens".

lynx
01-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Probably caused by static.

In theory it can't happen - the case should act as a Faraday cage. Tell that to pilots who've had their plane's instruments blown by lightning.

clocker
01-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Lee, were you flying your PC again?

Had you thought to mention that little tidbit at the beginning I would have suspected lightning right away.

digmen1
01-18-2007, 07:13 AM
I NEVER turn my PC's off.

I have found that over 25 years (?) of being involved with PC's that they have been very reliable for me. My customers and friends who turn theirs off and on every day (to save power or beacsue they have an on off switch) often have problems.

There is a shock of power that goes through your boards etc when you turn them on and off.

Also when boards heat up and cool down the chips etc work loose and the solder etc tends to crack. Drives and fans etc are designed go go 24/7 for 5 years.

So when you get it going again I suggest leaving it on 24/7. You will have to reboot occassionally of course.

Regards

Digby
NZ

digmen1
01-18-2007, 07:17 AM
[/QUOTE]
If it's the motherboard as well...OK, then you start thinking of other options.
Depending on one's skill level/ambition a low cost replacement board is certainly do-able and almost certainly the less expensive path to go down.
[/QUOTE]

Bearing in mind that he will need a new CPU and new RAM as his current RAM and CPU will almost certainly Not fit in a new motherboard.

I am trying to keep my old "motherboard/Cpus/Ram"'s so that I can give them to friends and family etc that need to upgrade their machines.

Regards

Digby
NZ

gROD
01-18-2007, 07:24 AM
i had a similar problem, and i just tried booting up with the bare minimums attached to my computer. it booted up, then i was able to fix by process of elimination.

lynx
01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
I am trying to keep my old "motherboard/Cpus/Ram"'s
I know just what you mean.

If you don't keep an eye on the little blighters then before you know it they are off.

I suspect they get lured away by ballpoint pens. :shifty:

clocker
01-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Bearing in mind that he will need a new CPU and new RAM as his current RAM and CPU will almost certainly Not fit in a new motherboard.

Why not?
Socket A boards are still readily available and his proc/RAM will swap right in.
I revive dead eMachines with PSU/board replacement several times a month.

lee551
01-19-2007, 07:28 AM
well.. here's how it ended.

i didn't want to order a board on my own and wait for it to be delivered. so i took it to a shop in town (yes, there really is >10 here :P) and he had a used board on-hand that fit my AMD and the RAM. $40.

they also checked my power cord and power strip to see if that could have caused the problem. they both checked out fine. i really think i shocked it somehow once i got it in my room. too much static in here. :dry:

lynx
01-19-2007, 09:16 AM
yes, there really is >10 here :POne each, that's useful.

zapjb
01-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Yup that darn old ESD (Electrostatic Discharge).

gary2112
01-22-2007, 08:38 PM
a single beep= memory i would take it out and reseat it

Jortega_88
01-23-2007, 02:43 AM
yeah, you should always change the PSU that comes with the tower.

Chewie
01-23-2007, 03:52 AM
a single beep= memory i would take it out and reseat itNo, a single beep = POST OK.

I wouldn't imagine static would be the cause of the mobo going down but I always leave a PC standing for a short while after bringing in from the car to reduce the risk of condensation.

dodgy368
01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
well.. here's how it ended.

i didn't want to order a board on my own and wait for it to be delivered. so i took it to a shop in town (yes, there really is >10 here :P) and he had a used board on-hand that fit my AMD and the RAM. $40.

they also checked my power cord and power strip to see if that could have caused the problem. they both checked out fine. i really think i shocked it somehow once i got it in my room. too much static in here. :dry:

$40 is a big result, did they fit the board for you as well?