PDA

View Full Version : Data Transfer Questions

TRshady
05-19-2003, 03:22 PM
I have looked at many sites but no site seems to explain how the data transfer is calculated so I would like to ask this. My geocities site is always being taken down for exceding this limit and I would like to know the cause.

Does linking downloads to other sites effect my sites data transfer?

For example, my k-lite download is linked to the edesks mirror so when clicked automatically brings up the box asking wether to save or open the file, does this effect my site datatransfer?

What about files hosted by my geocities account?

Any suggestons appreciated.

harrycary
05-19-2003, 03:50 PM
It sounds like customer service could get you an answer. But, you probably don't have very much bandwidth allowance anyways. (you get free hosting don't you?)

Anyways, all data going through their(Geocities) servers counts toward your bandwidth allotment. So, when someone downloads from your site, that data is going through their servers and counts toward your bandwidth total. It doesn't matter where the actual file is located.

Directing users to another [mirror] site so they can than click a download link should not affect your bandwidth use.

TRshady
05-19-2003, 03:55 PM
ok, thanks alot. That what I was looking for.

Yes, my site is free. I guess I'll have to link to the download site, not actual location.

Livy
05-19-2003, 04:12 PM
you could link to my mirror page instead of my direct download if you want, then you dont have to update your link every time new version comes out.
link to http://www.livy.myby.co.uk/klite.html
my mirror is http://kc2.edskes.com click it to check. :)

balamm
05-19-2003, 04:45 PM
I found that even pages with a lot of graphics will be shut down for exceeding the transfer limit.
They (Geocities ) actually count each image viewed as a download which sounds rediculous but true.

TRshady
05-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Livy@19 May 2003 - 16:12
you could link to my mirror page
ok, done that. thanks. I'm having to do that with my other downloads to.
Yeah I knew that images have to be downloaded so people can see it on their browser. I'm gonna start adding pics, lets see how it goes ......

Livy
05-19-2003, 05:00 PM
no probs, one other thing, on the main page, the k of view guestbook is on a different line.

TRshady
05-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Strange, its like that at school too. I thought it was just the macs. When I view it on both (800x640 & 1024x768) it looks fine. Ok, I'll move it over now, cheers.

P.S: can you lovely guys & girlz sign my guestbook?
I only have one entry so far :lol:

TRshady
05-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by harrycary@19 May 2003 - 15:50
It sounds like customer service could get you an answer. But, you probably don't have very much bandwidth allowance anyways. (you get free hosting don't you?)

Anyways, all data going through their(Geocities) servers counts toward your bandwidth allotment. So, when someone downloads from your site, that data is going through their servers and counts toward your bandwidth total. It doesn't matter where the actual file is located.

Directing users to another [mirror] site so they can than click a download link should not affect your bandwidth use.

if the file isnt in geocities then it doesnt affect your site transfer
Can more people reply to this please?

Who is right? soul or harry carry?

If a file is NOT stored in geocities (my host) does it effect my sites transfer?

soul, I have faith in you :P

Livy
05-21-2003, 11:51 AM
iwould think it does, as the file doesnt get sent to geocites, the the person downloads, the person downloading is directly communicating with the site where the file is,
i think anyway.

harrycary
05-21-2003, 03:53 PM
Geesh guys, if the file download dialog box opens up while you're at his site than that data is going through the Geocities servers. If you go to a mirror site(not located on the Geocities server) and than download, then the data isn't going through his site(or their servers).

BTW, everytime you scroll a page this is downloading more data thereby affecting bandwidth usage. I mention this because since the site is hosted for free, Geocities is may be monitoring bandwidth that closely.

Livy
05-21-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by harrycary@21 May 2003 - 16:53
Geesh guys, if the file download dialog box opens up while you're at his site than that data is going through the Geocities servers. If you go to a mirror site(not located on the Geocities server) and than download, then the data isn't going through his site(or their servers).

BTW, everytime you scroll a page this is downloading more data thereby affecting bandwidth usage. I mention this because since the site is hosted for free, Geocities is may be monitoring bandwidth that closely.
what? how does it use more data scrolling the page?

TRshady
05-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by harrycary@21 May 2003 - 15:53
Damn, thats what I thought!, soul says your wrong.

Sorry to keep going on but I really want to know, whats right?

so far its 2vs1 that direct linking files (that aren't stored in your geo account) does NOT effect geocities site transfer.

Livy
05-21-2003, 04:50 PM
i dont see how it does affect your data tranfer, as t#your computer communicates diretcly to where the file is,
if it went through geociteis,, or whatever first, think of the massive waste of bandwidth, and they'll not be wantin to waste bandwidth, what about when u link to another page, then doesnt that affect your data transfer, no it doesnt. :) simple as that, it dont affect your transfer. :)

MadDog-2000
05-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Okay, let's get this straight! If you link to another site (doesn't matter if its a web page or a downloadable file) it is NOT counted towards your bandwidth limit. You are just hyperlinking to another file, located on another web sever. If that file is not located on the Geocities web sever, it is not counted towards your bandwidth limit. Geocities can NOT relay files to you thru their web sever from another web sever, that is because they are running a web server and not a proxy server!

Scrolling on a web site does not generate more traffic, which means it is not downloading more data. All you are essentially doing is downloading a text file with an HTML (or htm) extension and a bunch of images, that your browser puts together to create a web page.

Livy
05-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by MadDog-2000@21 May 2003 - 20:12
Okay, let's get this straight! If you link to another site (doesn't matter if its a web page or a downloadable file) it is NOT counted towards your bandwidth limit. You are just hyperlinking to another file, located on another web sever. If that file is not located on the Geocities web sever, it is not counted towards your bandwidth limit. Geocities can NOT relay files to you thru their web sever from another web sever, that is because they are running a web server and not a proxy server!

Scrolling on a web site does not generate more traffic, which means it is not downloading more data. All you are essentially doing is downloading a text file with an HTML (or htm) extension and a bunch of images, that your browser puts together to create a web page.
yeah, what you said, :) i really would like to know where this guy got where scrolling created more data.

TRshady
05-21-2003, 10:33 PM
YES!, thank you for assuring me. It makes sense coz image the forums transfer with all those avatars and Sig's, so I can go to sleep happy tonight :)

harrycary
05-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Although I don't know how Geocities figures their users' bandwidth usage, you don't know either unless you work there. If they are giving away webspace, it stands to reason that they would go through great lengths to limit it. Especially since bandwidth usage is their primary concern. The sysadmin can do or say what he wants. Who's to stop him? They ain't making any money from TRshady.

A long page full of images and such just adds to the bandwidth it takes to view(more data). I just worded it wrong. My bad.

Given this isn't the first I've heard about Geocities. I would recommend a different host altogether.

I guess I should expect to be slammed given the average age of those in this community.

No offense intended. I was young and impetuous once.

Share on...

ooo
05-22-2003, 02:07 AM
yo ur site is doing fine...

i think there was a recent change

geocities now has 3gb bandwidth... i checked it out and itz lasting alot longer!

i dled a 5mb file several times from one of my geocities homepage and it worked....

Visit my homepage and sign my guest book as well as trshadyz (http://www.geocities.com/soulblade814)

TRshady
05-22-2003, 07:00 AM
soul, I signed it long time mate, unless you want me to sign it again, lol

ooo
05-22-2003, 11:31 PM
i know you did tellin other ppl :) lololz