PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Modding a PS2

Busyman™
01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Is there any way of hooking up an external HD to the PS2 and ripping games to it like the Xbox can do?

edit: sorry I don't about an external with the Xbox but I want an external with the PS2.

Cheese
01-09-2007, 04:59 PM
I've been doing a little research on this, I've noticed USB Extreme that you would need for the slimline versions, it allows you to use a USB hard drive for ripping games to.

If you have one of the brick editions then you can use HDAdvance which I've seen in action and it works well.

Compatibilty wise HDAdvance seems to come out on top, the reviews I've read for USB Extreme are not that flattering.

Busyman™
01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I've been doing a little research on this, I've noticed USB Extreme that you would need for the slimline versions, it allows you to use a USB hard drive for ripping games to.

If you have one of the brick editions then you can use HDAdvance which I've seen in action and it works well.

Compatibilty wise HDAdvance seems to come out on top, the reviews I've read for USB Extreme are not that flattering.

OIC.

PSTwo ($130) + HDAdvance Enabler ($30) + 120GB HD ($50)

$210 Swap Magic + Slide Card ($30) = $240

Not bad since the PS2 has a shitload of games.

Skiz
01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I thought you already had a modded PS2.

Busyman™
01-09-2007, 11:32 PM
I thought you already had a modded PS2.

That's Xbox.

For the PS2 I have a shitload of bought games.

tesco
01-09-2007, 11:33 PM

OIC.

Not bad since the PS2 has a shitload of games.isnt pstwo the slim one?
You cant put a harddrive in that.:unsure:

Busyman™
01-09-2007, 11:40 PM
OIC.

Not bad since the PS2 has a shitload of games.isnt pstwo the slim one?
You cant put a harddrive in that.:unsure:

Can't you just use an enclosure?:unsure:

Cheese
01-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Not from what I've read, you'll need an older PS2 for that. So basically you can't use HD Advance with the newer PS2s and the USBExtreme things has a crappy compatibility rate and stutters on some in-game movies. Though if you already have an external drive it might be worth the £15...

I might have to go the Swap Magic route after all, though I'm not sure if the prices you quoted are correct.

$210 Swap Magic + Slide Card ($30) = $240It's like £20-£30 over here.

Busyman™
01-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Not from what I've read, you'll need an older PS2 for that. So basically you can't use HD Advance with the newer PS2s and the USBExtreme things has a crappy compatibility rate and stutters on some in-game movies. Though if you already have an external drive it might be worth the £15...

I might have to go the Swap Magic route after all, though I'm not sure if the prices you quoted are correct.

$210 Swap Magic + Slide Card ($30) = $240It's like £20-£30 over here.

Sorry bad edit. Added altogether it's 240.

Swap Magic + Slide Card is only $30.

I just don't like the fact of having to burn every game.

I have an older PS2 and I've been reading that the HDAdvance has some compatibility problems also.

It looks like my Xbox is the easiest to use for getting free games.

1. Rent game
2. Pop into Xbox
3. Rip game
4. Return game

The games play flawlessly.

I was hoping there was some way of doing the same with the PS2.
The good thing is that many games are online and DVD+/-Rs cost shit now.

MCHeshPants420
01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know if rewritable disks will work with the PS2 and Swap Magic, or am I just being silly?

Busyman™
01-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know if rewritable disks will work with the PS2 and Swap Magic, or am I just being silly?

;)

Formula1
01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
if you have an older ps2 (the fat ones) you can get the following:
HDLoader (i think it costs around 30$)
40gb-120gb IDE harddrive 20$-60$
PS2 network adapter 20$

If you have a modded ps2 or have a friend who has hdloader, you can do something called memory card exploit.

you can go to http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/index.php? , just be sure not to mention anything about downloading video games (they dont support piracy)

JordoR
01-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Yes the whole HDLoader + a HD is def the best way to go with a ps2. Ive never had a problem with mine and with my 80gb hd I have about 20-25 games on it. It's way better than the whole swapmagic thing, and a lot easier too.

MCHeshPants420
01-11-2007, 01:56 AM
I got a second-hand "fat" PS2 on the cheap (with a year gaurentee) so all I need now is a network adapter and HD Advance.

Busyman™
01-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Where the hell can I find a PS2 network adapter?!

MCHeshPants420
01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I just got mine off Amazon.

Busyman™
01-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I just got mine off Amazon.

Yeah I saw that but dem shits are $100.:no:

MCHeshPants420
01-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I got a packaged one for £30 and it arrived next day (I don't usually leave feedback on Amazon but this guy has earned it), I've got a Swap Magic disk so I'm going to try the Independence Exploit out later on to see if I can get HDLoader working.

Busyman™
01-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I got a packaged one for £30 and it arrived next day (I don't usually leave feedback on Amazon but this guy has earned it), I've got a Swap Magic disk so I'm going to try the Independence Exploit out later on to see if I can get HDLoader working.

Good luck, Cheese.;)

I'm still gonna keep searchin. I ain't buying one for $100.:sneaky:

MCHeshPants420
01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
The slide tool for Swap Magic ain't that great, I broke my drive almost instantly. Luckily I was able to take the machine apart and fix it. I'll be swapping the disks by taking the top off for now, fortunately as soon as I've got the exploit working I can just run games off my hard drive with a PS1 game in the drive.

Getting this all to work is almost as troublesome as setting up a PC game.

Busyman™
01-12-2007, 05:32 PM
The slide tool for Swap Magic ain't that great, I broke my drive almost instantly. Luckily I was able to take the machine apart and fix it. I'll be swapping the disks by taking the top off for now, fortunately as soon as I've got the exploit working I can just run games off my hard drive with a PS1 game in the drive.

Getting this all to work is almost as troublesome as setting up a PC game.

:(

Setting up a PC game sounds easier.:ermm:

Don't you have a PSTwo? I didn't think you could use the slide card.:unsure:

MCHeshPants420
01-14-2007, 09:53 AM
I got it all to work and I have about 20 games on my hard drive now, I put a PS1 disk in and it takes me to the hard drive for games selection. I can put more games on the hard drive by plugging it into my PC. Setting up is simple enough if you follow the guides (http://www.exploitstation.com/index.php?page=faq).

You'll need:

PS2 (that supports the network adapter)
A PS1 original disk
Swap Magic Disk and tool
Memory card
IDE hard drive
Network adapter

All the guides and applications I needed I got from: http://www.exploitstation.com/

Compatibilty List: http://www.absoluteanime.com/hdloader.php