PDA

View Full Version : Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy Move

Barbarossa
01-11-2007, 03:52 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

David Beckham will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy at the end of the season.

The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal, reportedly worth £128m.

Beckham told Reuters: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract.

"After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy."

In a statement, Beckham continued: "I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

"I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team-mates and fans as I believe Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve."

Beckham left Manchester United in July 2003 to sign for Real, who paid £25m for the midfielder's services.

However, in the three-and-a-half seasons since his arrival, the Spanish giants have failed to win any silverware.

This season has proved particularly disappointing for Beckham, who was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and struggled to win a place in Real's first team.

LA Galaxy admitted their interest in signing Beckham in November, when general manager Alexi Lalas told the BBC Sport website of his admiration for the former England captain.

In an exclusive interview, Lalas said: "The Los Angeles Galaxy are looked upon as the jewel of Major League Soccer.

"We play in the best stadium we have had incredible success over the history of the league, we have had great individual players and great teams. There's a tradition of excellence.

"All of this leads to this race to become the first MLS super club, if you will.

"It is something we aspire to and in order to do that you have to have quality players, a direction and a passion, a good coach and you have to get credibility domestically and internationally.

"Signing players of Beckham's stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America."

Landon Donovan, Galaxy's star player, said Beckham's arrival would be a huge boost to MLS.

"I think it's hard to quantify what David Beckham being here would mean," he said.

"Marketing-wise it's a dream come true and it's not a 35, 36-year-old washed-up guy.

"It's a guy who can still play and a guy who still has a lot of appeal, probably the most famous soccer player in the world."

Good for him :happy:

Alien5
01-11-2007, 03:55 PM
rich bastard. :(

DorisInsinuate
01-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Probably the best move for Beckham, USA is probably the last place he's still popular in.

Probably also kills off his international career (if it wasn't already deader than a dead dead thing), since the Major League season goes from April to November, or something.

Colt Seevers
01-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Bye bye Golden Balls!

{I}{K}{E}
01-11-2007, 06:56 PM
he gets 250mil USD for 5 years. :pinch:

snowultra
01-12-2007, 12:30 AM
thats the best move for united states, i dont see how they can afford it though. the camera's will be all over him for a little while

DefX
01-12-2007, 02:06 AM
i think this move is more for marketing MLS than actually trying to improve the LA Galaxy

famous45
01-12-2007, 06:59 AM
i think this move is more for marketing MLS than actually trying to improve the LA Galaxy

That's exactly what it is. A very expensive marketing tactic for MLS in the US. Beckham basically said so himself. $250 mil. for 5 years. geeez.

$1 million a week for 5 years ain't so shabby.:noes:

Busyman™
01-12-2007, 04:30 PM

That's exactly what it is. A very expensive marketing tactic for MLS in the US. Beckham basically said so himself. $250 mil. for 5 years. geeez.

Does he endorse Adidas?

I remember Lebron James, before he played an NBA game and right out of high school, signed a 90 million dollar contract with Nike. That's a helluva pay day. Michael Jordan was making more on endorsements than his regular salary until he wised up and made the Bulls pay him 65 million for two years.

I wonder if they'll tell how much of Beckham's money is endorsements.

Peerzy
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Does he endorse Adidas?

I remember Lebron James, before he played an NBA game and right out of high school, signed a 90 million dollar contract with Nike. That's a helluva pay day. Michael Jordan was making more on endorsements than his regular salary until he wised up and made the Bulls pay him 65 million for two years.

I saw on Sky Sports News that it was broken down like this;

$10M - Wages
$10M - Shirt Sales
$10M - Marketing Percentage
$20M - Current Deals with companies (Pepsie/Addidas and so on...)

per year.

scofield
01-12-2007, 10:19 PM
i'm sure.

Skiz
01-13-2007, 01:14 AM
I have been following this on Fox News and I just can't imagine what they were thinking on this deal. Who is going to pay to bring in the $$$ to pay this guy? TV rights in this country to soccer are only a few bucks a year, and I don't think any US matches are broadcast outside this country, and there sure aren't very many people willing (or able!) to cough up the bucks for soccer like NFL games. Where's the winning side of this?

Busyman™
01-13-2007, 01:33 AM
I have been following this on Fox News and I just can't imagine what they were thinking on this deal. Who is going to pay to bring in the $$$ to pay this guy? TV rights in this country to soccer are only a few bucks a year, and I don't think any US matches are broadcast outside this country, and there sure aren't very many people willing (or able!) to cough up the bucks for soccer like NFL games. Where's the winning side of this?

I mentioned this before that the Redskins averaged almost 90,000 people a game with the average being about 70,000 for the NFL in general.

Soccer doesn't begin to crack that type of attendance. To my knowledge, the stadiums aren't even half as big. Hell some of our college stadiums are bigger than NFL stadiums.

Busyman™
01-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Does he endorse Adidas?

$10M - Wages
$10M - Shirt Sales

per year.

So his 250 million was a buncha hype then. 10 mil in wages is not new whatsoever.

The 250 mil announcement was basically a commercial.

Skiz
01-13-2007, 01:51 AM

$10M - Wages
$10M - Shirt Sales

per year.

So his 250 million was a buncha hype then. 10 mil in wages is not new whatsoever.

That's $50 million per year x 5 years = $250 million.

Busyman™
01-13-2007, 02:25 AM

Okayyyyyyy and 10 mil is wages.

Lebron makes 20 mil a year in salary from the Cavs alone.

I think what makes Beckham's salary of 10 mil a stunner is that it's for....American soccer.

It's a weird paradox. Announcement of his salary might generate ticket sales. If he came over here with normal contract, we wouldn't have shit about it besides Beckham is playing over here.

Now it's about him making 250 mil versus it being about him.

Skiz
01-13-2007, 04:02 AM

I think what makes Beckham's salary of 10 mil a stunner is that it's for....American soccer.

It's a weird paradox. Announcement of his salary might generate ticket sales. If he came over here with normal contract, we wouldn't have shit about it besides Beckham is playing over here.

Those things are actually in his contract though, so it is actually his salary. Soccer deals are weird - for starters, the league pays the players and not the teams. :wacko:

Busyman™
01-13-2007, 04:38 AM

Those things are actually in his contract though, so it is actually his salary. Soccer deals are weird - for starters, the league pays the players and not the teams. :wacko:
I stand corrected then.

And you are right. That is weird.

How can his endorsements be in his contract with MLS though.

Shirt sales, marketing percentage (whateverthefuck that is), and wages are understandable.

However, endorsements outside of the league should be....well....outside of the league.

Michael Jordan had endorsements through Gatorade, Ball Park Franks, MCI, Coca-Cola, Nike, Hanes, and Rayovac but I doubt the NBA wrote the checks for them.

Skiz
01-13-2007, 06:28 AM
I stand corrected then.

And you are right. That is weird.

How can his endorsements be in his contract with MLS though.

Shirt sales, marketing percentage (whateverthefuck that is), and wages are understandable.

However, endorsements outside of the league should be....well....outside of the league.

Michael Jordan had endorsements through Gatorade, Ball Park Franks, MCI, Coca-Cola, Nike, Hanes, and Rayovac but I doubt the NBA wrote the checks for them.

I can't remember all the details, but there are some other really strange rules as well. One being that the salary cap for any individual player is 2.1 million/year, but each team is aloud to select just one "marquee" player who will have no salary cap. :wacko:

It sounds like MLS just doesn't have a union like other American sports do.

As far as why they are writing the checks, that's the big question. Most are speculating that they are just buying human advertisement, in hopes to recoup his salary via ticket sales, merchandise, etc. I think this is more of a long term goal of gaining profits by popularizing the sport in the US as opposed to immediate revenue from say, Beckham jerseys (I doubt I'll see a single one).

MCHeshPants420
01-13-2007, 09:54 AM
I expect that David and Victoria Beckham will be announced King and Queen of USA within a few years. I've been following their path to global domination for a while now so I wasn't too surprised by this move.

Silly money, but it shows that some people do believe that soccer can take off in USA and that the MLS is in a healthy condition.

Skiz
01-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I expect that David and Victoria Beckham will be announced King and Queen of USA within a few years. I've been following their path to global domination for a while now so I wasn't too surprised by this move.

Silly money, but it shows that some people do believe that soccer can take off in USA and that the MLS is in a healthy condition.

I think with the exponentially growing immigrant population in the US, it's growing healthier and healthier.

Busyman™
01-13-2007, 01:27 PM

I think with the exponentially growing immigrant population in the US, it's growing healthier and healthier.

Good point. I used to play soccer with the Spanish fellas when I was with my ex (heavy Spanish population near her). They played every Saturday....early.

Cheese
01-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Yeah. Mexicans are crazy mad for football.

shosh
01-13-2007, 04:39 PM
does anyone remember when the US tried to popularize soccer with pele from brazil. attendance almost doubled but he retired in 2 years then the league flopped.

maebach
01-13-2007, 04:48 PM
i hope toronto fc can pick up some players that play in europe. tickets are selling like crazy here.

Colt Seevers
01-13-2007, 04:58 PM
i hope toronto fc can pick up some players that play in europe. tickets are selling like crazy here.

Aye I think the Glasgow Rangers will be offloading a few players, take them... please! :D

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/protest.gif

SpiderPig
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
His accent is weird.. And the only reason people in America wants him is because of his "hotness"...

Peerzy
01-15-2007, 02:12 AM
@Busy

Most football (soccer) contracts include image rights, marketing percentages and shirt sales percentages within the standard weekly wage. Beckham is currently on something like £116K, £87k is his standard wage and the rest being made up of 50% of any marketing or image related sales from using his name or image.

Those figures are off the top of my head and I'm not sure if they're 100% correct but you get the idea.

External companies like Pepsie and Addidas pay Beckham X amount each year extra to market their products.

The reason why the MLS will be paying Beckham so much for marketing and such is because he is expected to be the face of everything related to MLS for the next 5 years, this includes selling TV rights to other countries, advertising, grass routes developement and so on.

He will still get his extra £1M a year or whatever from Pepsie untill they either decide to drop him or his contract with them expires.

Busyman™
01-15-2007, 02:45 AM
@Busy

Most football (soccer) contracts include image rights, marketing percentages and shirt sales percentages within the standard weekly wage. Beckham is currently on something like £116K, £87k is his standard wage and the rest being made up of 50% of any marketing or image related sales from using his name or image.

Those figures are off the top of my head and I'm not sure if they're 100% correct but you get the idea.

External companies like Pepsie and Addidas pay Beckham X amount each year extra to market their products.

The reason why the MLS will be paying Beckham so much for marketing and such is because he is expected to be the face of everything related to MLS for the next 5 years, this includes selling TV rights to other countries, advertising, grass routes developement and so on.

He will still get his extra £1M a year or whatever from Pepsie untill they either decide to drop him or his contract with them expires.

With this new move, I'm sure they'll keep him for awhile.

As I said before, the 250 mil was a bigger story than Beckham coming over here.

Peerzy
01-16-2007, 12:43 AM
@Busy

For sure. Suddenly any player over the age of 32 and in need of a quick buck is being linked with a MLS team. Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo and I even saw a new piece the other day linking Alan Shearer to DC United:huh:

It will raise the profile of the game in America but if it makes grass routes football and the quality of the game any better remains to be seen.

biggie944
01-16-2007, 02:41 AM

trust me he has just got a contract that is worth more than any player u have in the US apart from tiger woods and he is not far behind him this guy is gonna make american football and baseball seem obselete within the next 5 years you will need to recognize how much soccer as u call it is worth.

maebach
01-16-2007, 03:19 AM

Aye I think the Glasgow Rangers will be offloading a few players, take them... please! :D

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/protest.gif

maybe, our coach played for the rangers, Mo Johnston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Johnston

Busyman™
01-16-2007, 04:47 AM

For sure. Suddenly any player over the age of 32 and in need of a quick buck is being linked with a MLS team. Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo and I even saw a new piece the other day linking Alan Shearer to DC United:huh:

It will raise the profile of the game in America but if it makes grass routes football and the quality of the game any better remains to be seen.

Hell if the MLS wants to throw money at the foreign players then they'd be dumb not to go for it.

We've been wooing foreign players into basketball for years. It has helped spread the popularity of the sport around the world and made them better.

The dynamic of soccer, with low scoring, no commercials, and ultra low popularity here (in comparison with basketball and football) will have little impact it's profile.

I imagine initially the LA Galaxy some news coverage and such but then reality will set in that Americans find the game boring.

Unlike many other nationalities that reject a game outright for different reasons (not familiar with the rules, don't know the players, dislike "foreign" sports just because), you'll that Americans latch on to whatever is exciting.

I just watched a Wizards basketball game where our star player (who used to come off the bench earlier) just nailed a 3-pointer 2 steps back from the line to win the game at the buzzer. 108 - 105

In soccer the roller coaster might be a rally from 1 goal down to win the game. Maybe someone found that opening and BAM, goal. The Wizards were 16 points down against a great team and they came back to win in electrifying fashion.

Soccer has been around forever. Why we can like golf and not like soccer....that's just weird.

Cheese
01-16-2007, 09:51 AM

trust me he has just got a contract that is worth more than any player u have in the US apart from tiger woods and he is not far behind him this guy is gonna make american football and baseball seem obselete within the next 5 years you will need to recognize how much soccer as u call it is worth.

Actually I call it "the footie" and, in truth, I could care less if the 'merkins love it or hate it. It is the most popular sport in the world and if people don't like it that means they are wrong.

@biggie944: MCHeshpants420 is my other account that I use at work in case you get confused my a different username answering your point.

Skiz
01-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Please tell me you're joking. This is just asinine. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Busyman™
01-16-2007, 11:39 AM

Actually I call it "the footie" and, in truth, I could care less if the 'merkins love it or hate it. It is the most popular sport in the world and if people don't like it that means they are wrong.

No it just means America marches to it's own tune.:dabs:

Colt Seevers
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
maybe, our coach played for the rangers, Mo Johnston.

Slightly O.T:

but anyway i'm sure Kansas City Wiz "was the only team he ever wanted to play for"

..... wee arse that he is. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/k/outtahere.gif

sorcerer13
01-25-2007, 10:59 PM
The main reason is that his wife wants to party with Paris Hilton!!

midoss
01-27-2007, 10:17 AM
his wife wants to party with kati holms

okkes
01-27-2007, 10:25 AM
its right place for him. hollywood.

weirdguy
02-08-2007, 01:13 AM
and hid first game will be in canada :)

02-08-2007, 02:32 PM
good luck

hippoxtc
02-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Hope he doesn't get hurt because if he does a lot of that money is going to be flushed down the toilet.

wanderlei_silva
02-09-2007, 03:00 AM
I can't wait to watch Beckham in Dallas next year

DorisInsinuate
02-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Beckham's never really been a watchable player. He just stands around a bit, then pings the ball across the field.

Fortech
02-10-2007, 11:16 AM
times running out for you, beckham

ozaki
02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
what a big news

Gornar
02-11-2007, 12:00 PM
watch them get next Romario & Batistuta...

RaPPeR
02-11-2007, 08:24 PM
i hate him. he isnt a player. he is an actor

Barbarossa
02-12-2007, 10:30 AM
i hate him. he isnt a player. he is an actor

I think you're confusing him with Vinny Jones :dry:

RaPPeR
02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I dont know who is " Vinny Jones ". but I know that Beckham isnt football player. by the way, real madrid sucks :D barcelona rules!!

Eazil
02-21-2007, 08:56 PM
He is very bad football player -.-

Bucktoof
03-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I hope Vancouver will join MLS, maybe he'll play here then.

I know the higher-ups here are trying to get the Whitecaps into the larger league, it will definitely boost ticket sales

overheat
03-20-2007, 06:35 AM
i think it is wrong

Chadskies84
03-20-2007, 11:53 PM
thats so crazy how much he is getting paid, my god

Bucktoof
03-21-2007, 06:12 AM
He's paid a ton, but I don't think Tiger is worth as much as he makes :)

Anyways, I want to see him...it looks like he'll make an exhibition game here in Vancouver

boban
03-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Life in the states would suit him better. In recent years he has transformed to a model rather than a great footballer.

bixente
03-26-2007, 07:24 AM
i guess he just want to be close to holywood :)

TYPE R
03-29-2007, 12:07 PM
move back 2 man u, twat

samoyan
06-15-2007, 02:22 AM
I heard that he came back to Real and scored in his first match.