PDA

View Full Version : How to copy Lord of the Rings?

Ava Estelle
01-12-2007, 06:34 AM
I borrowed the three Lord of the Rings DVDs from a mate, how do I copy them?

Free software only please. :)

backlash
01-12-2007, 12:57 PM
dvd shrink or dvd decrypter

Skiz
01-12-2007, 01:07 PM
dvd shrink or dvd decrypter

Both.

Rip with DVDShrink to create an ISO image file, then Burn with DVDDecrypter (also called DVDFab)

If you use this method, make sure to uncheck the following in DVDShrink prior to ripping.

Edit > Preferences > File I/O > Enable burning with Nero.

backlash
01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
does dvd decrypter burn better than nero?

Skiz
01-12-2007, 04:13 PM
does dvd decrypter burn better than nero?

Better? I dunno. I think it's the best. I'm just not a Nero fan.

{I}{K}{E}
01-12-2007, 04:22 PM
If you want the best quality using freeware->

Rip the DVDs with DVD Decrypter and encode the DVDs with DVD Rebuilder (HCencoder)

Skiz
01-12-2007, 04:24 PM
If you want the best quality using freeware.

Rip the DVDs with DVD Decrypter and encode the DVDs with DVD Rebuilder (HCencoder)

Never heard of it. :huh:

How is it better quality?

Ava Estelle
01-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I ripped them to a hard disc with DVD Decrypter, all up, including the 'extras' discs, it came to over 42GB, about 7GB a disc.

Can I get that back onto single layer discs again? Or do I have to lower the quality?

Skillz808
01-14-2007, 06:16 AM
ZYou can compress it all but it will lower the quality you will need to burn dual layer to get full quality or just rip the extras all off and everything else ot try to keep at least 80% of the movie.

Skiz
01-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I ripped them to a hard disc with DVD Decrypter, all up, including the 'extras' discs, it came to over 42GB, about 7GB a disc.

Can I get that back onto single layer discs again? Or do I have to lower the quality?

That why you should follow my method listed above.

DVDShrink will shrink the size without losing quality, then you can burn with DVDDecrypter onto a single disc.

Ava Estelle
01-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Perfect, they work great.

The only 'problem', which I don't think has anything to do with me, is that the first and last DVDs are widescreen, and the middle one is 'normal'.

Virtualbody1234
01-14-2007, 01:29 PM
That why you should follow my method listed above.

DVDShrink will shrink the size without losing quality, then you can burn with DVDDecrypter onto a single disc.
You do lose quality when shrinking with DVD Shrink.

Skiz
01-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Pardon, you don't lose enough quality to notice with the naked eye. At least not mine.

Virtualbody1234
01-14-2007, 01:41 PM

Pardon, you don't lose enough quality to notice with the naked eye. At least not mine.

I start to see it when the video compression shows less than 85%.

Removing menus, trailers, previews, extras and unused languages is what I do to minimize the compression required. If the movie itself is still too large (rarely happens) then I separate it to 2 DVD+Rs.

Skiz
01-14-2007, 03:24 PM

I start to see it when the video compression shows less than 85%.

Removing menus, trailers, previews, extras and unused languages is what I do to minimize the compression required. If the movie itself is still too large (rarely happens) then I separate it to 2 DVD+Rs.

I haven't paid attention to the video compression but a coupe of times, but I'll start out of curiosity.

As far as menus, etc., I used to remove it all, but now I leave any of the English sub-titles in case I can't understand what they're saying. (I'm pointing at you 'Snatch')

:pinch: