PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Crop Off The Black Letterbox?

brakak
05-19-2003, 10:00 PM
see topic

4play
05-19-2003, 10:04 PM
why would you want to do that it will make the video out of aspet so they will look fat.

jetje
05-19-2003, 10:14 PM
yes and why not adde to one of the other matrix POsts...?

brakak
05-19-2003, 10:15 PM
no i dont want to take them off and resized it, i just want them gone. so the video is a rectangle. ive downloaded files before like that.

harrycary
05-19-2003, 10:52 PM
It would require you to re-encode the video at a different aspect ratio. What you have is 16:9 and what you want is 4:3.

1 of 2 things will occur if you do this.
1. as mentioned above, your video will look "fat" or squished from the sides.
2. you will lose part of each side of the picture.

Now, why would you want to ruin the movie that way?

brakak
05-20-2003, 02:02 AM
i dont see why you people dont understand what im saying. i dont want to make a vcd. i want to whatch the file on my computer. i just want the leterbox off becuase its just taking up more space. instead of the video being a giant square it would just be a wide rectangle.

Rabid_elephant
05-20-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by brakak@20 May 2003 - 03:02
i dont see why you people dont understand what im saying. i dont want to make a vcd. i want to whatch the file on my computer. i just want the leterbox off becuase its just taking up more space. instead of the video being a giant square it would just be a wide rectangle.
<_< u mean full screen double click middle if that dosnt work and ur still not satisfied u can unplug your computer. Slap yourself several times. Then ask yourself why ur such a dumn ass. After that stare at the wall and wonder if ur actualy in the matrix.

Darth Sushi
05-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by brakak@20 May 2003 - 03:02
You can do it with ZoomPlayer 3.0 Pro by selecting Aspect Ratio 4:3 instead of Source Aspect ratio. I&#39;m not sure with the older versions. However, every character will look like a skinny supermodel ;)

harrycary
05-20-2003, 04:38 AM
brakak
i just want the leterbox off becuase its just taking up more space. instead of the video being a giant square it would just be a wide rectangle

That is not true. You actually have more picture with the 16:9 aspect ration.
Change the aspect ratio to fit your monitor and you will lose the left and right side of the actual picture.

Because you are ignorant of this fact you come across as a moron. All movies are shot in this aspect. It used to be called cinemascope or widescreen. You get a better view of the entire scene as the director intended it.

Why on earth would you want to "erase" part of the movie? Sit closer to your monitor.

Skillian
05-20-2003, 04:52 AM
Although I agree you shouldn&#39;t want to crop it it is true that plenty of people do. Before DVDs, nearly all videos sold in full screen/4:3 rather than widescreen.

As Darth Sushi said Zoom Player is the best way to do it without re-encoding, but instead of setting it to 4:3, which will distort the picture, just use the zoom function to zoom it until the black bars go off the screen. It&#39;s also a good way to see just how much of the sides of the picture you miss ;)

huuramis
05-20-2003, 09:23 AM
is the lettbox a watermark ? i dont know what the hell your talking about.. but.. if its a water mark.. just search for a program to remove things from video files. :unsure:

gaun
05-20-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by huuramis@20 May 2003 - 09:23
is the lettbox a watermark ? i dont know what the hell your talking about.. but.. if its a water mark.. just search for a program to remove things from video files. :unsure:
eeeerrrr..... no

huuramis
05-20-2003, 05:11 PM
yes. :rolleyes:

harrycary
05-20-2003, 05:29 PM
No it is not a watermark and you cannot just "remove it." It&#39;s what happens when you view a 16:9 picture on a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor or television.

For those of you who don&#39;t understand what letterbox means, read this (http://www.firsttvdrama.com/show2/letterb.php3) before posting any further comments.

DrSpud
05-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Ok, I&#39;m just posting this because most everyone else either doesn&#39;t know how to read or doesn&#39;t know what they are talking about.

brakak: What you want to do is crop the video. I strongly recommend VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) to do this, as long as the video you want to fix is mpeg 1 or avi. It&#39;s a very good avi processing prog and very straightforward and easy to use. All you have to do is set it to crop the vid in video->filters (check here (http://www.virtualdub.org/docs_processing) for more info) and set the video bitrate to the original, then save the avi. Aspect ratio is 100% irrelevant.

Benno
05-22-2003, 04:33 PM
I think he meen it like this:

Black Letterbox:

http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=Wk4aw1MN9a5CFbRgfL3q0ar7&ext=.jpg

No black letterbox, but the movie is still in widescreen

http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=HUlgyUhBYPPfVOyaDMB66Tbk&ext=.jpg

And now all you guys can guess from which movies I took the screenshots. :P

imported_jamesandpie
05-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Nooooooooooooo idea, its too old for my liking

harrycary
05-23-2003, 06:33 AM
It doesn&#39;t matter what you do to make the picture fill your monitors&#39; screen, your are in fact changing the aspect ratio. You cannot deny that. Altering the original widescreen version to fit a monitor ruins the film. Why on earth would you want to crop a film? In doing so you take away the director&#39;s vision and lessen the film. Any true film buff would prefer the wide screen format.

Benno
Wha? Your examples makes no sense. That 2nd example is not square(4:3). So what? You got white bars along the top and bottom? Whatever...

share on..

Beaner666
05-23-2003, 12:16 PM
I think he wants to take a non-anamorphic widescreen movie and make it anamorphic. You can remove the black bars without effecting the intended aspect ratio of the director, that&#39;s what Beno&#39;s example showed. Unfortunately I don&#39;t know how to do it myself.

J'Pol
05-23-2003, 12:30 PM
The screen is 4:3

The Movie is 16:9

If the movie is the same width as the screen then there is no way that you can change the video to fit the 4:3 without either :

1, Cutting bits from the sides of the video, which means you lose them or

2, Changing the proportions of the video. Which distorts the image.

This has nothing to do with videos, anamorphic, software or any other fancy dan computer technology.

It is basic primary school geometry.

Movies which are converted to television viewing use different techniques to do this. They may use pan and scan, where the 4:3 box is moved about to show as much of the important action as possible. Or they may just cut off the sides. That&#39;s why you sometimes see someone talking to a person partially of screen.

The first method is much better but has to be done scene by scene. So takes longer. If you can get software to let you do that then that is your best bet. However you will not see the movie as the director intended it.

Benno
05-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by harrycary@23 May 2003 - 08:33
Benno
Wha? Your examples makes no sense. That 2nd example is not square(4:3). So what? You got white bars along the top and bottom? Whatever...

share on..
Of course if you watch the movie full screen you will have black bars. But they are put there by the player and arent in the original movie file. Thats what my 2nd example was., and thats how I understood the question.

nueromancer
05-23-2003, 12:53 PM
If you removed the black bars of letterbox, and did not replace them with anything, but did not change the ratio aspect....

Would not you end of with black bars on the top and bottom of it anyway?

B)

Also if you went from letterbox to TV, it would make everyone tall and skinny not fat. (IE at the end of some movies...)

Benno
05-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by nueromancer@23 May 2003 - 14:53
If you removed the black bars of letterbox, and did not replace them with anything, but did not change the ratio aspect....

Would not you end of with black bars on the top and bottom of it anyway?

When you watch it fullscreen yes. There are black bars of course.
Dont ask me why he wants to remove them, thats just how I understood his question.

DrSpud
05-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Hmm...
I think the issue is in how people interprete what brakak was asking. The way I took it was that he wanted to remove the black space that is encoded in the video file itself, leaving everything but the letterboxing unaltered (although whatever it&#39;s played on would add letterboxing to it in full screen). The way others interpreted it was that he wanted to view it without any black space on the screen (so it fills the monitor). The latter would require the aspect ratio to be different and would distort the picture. It really seems like he meant the first one, since the same issue has bothered me before with vids I&#39;ve downloaded and I think that it&#39;s really stupid to encode black space in since it just increases the size of the vid (although it really wouldn&#39;t much if it were 100% black, but it never is) and makes everything next to the edges lower quality.

Anyways, just trying to shed some light on the subject.

fallenknight308
05-23-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Benno@22 May 2003 - 08:33
I think he meen it like this:

Black Letterbox:

http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=Wk4aw1MN9a5CFbRgfL3q0ar7&ext=.jpg

No black letterbox, but the movie is still in widescreen

http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=HUlgyUhBYPPfVOyaDMB66Tbk&ext=.jpg

And now all you guys can guess from which movies I took the screenshots. :P
"Evil dead 2" -- "dead by dawn"

"From hell"? :huh:

Benno
05-23-2003, 10:39 PM
And the winner is fallenknight308.

Both correct http://images.google.at/images?q=tbn:Bbh8QWNM32oC:kathweb.de/djk-bistumsliga-goerlitz/wanderpokal/pokal-2001.jpg :D