PDA

View Full Version : Holy $#^%! Ari Fleischer Resigns!

Infested Cats
05-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Ari Fleischer Resigns! (http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=A0NJ5XFU4B22QCRBAELCFEY?type=topNews&storyID=2769562)

What will his fan club (http://www.probush.com/arifanclub.htm) do now!?

clocker
05-19-2003, 10:40 PM
http://www.extratv.com/dailynews/extra/10_01/images/westwingterrorism4.jpg

Hmmm...
She's qualified but probably unwilling to take a pay cut...

I think if Ari is so enthusiastic about seeing Bush get re-elected then he should be forced to stay on and try to explain his actions for the next four years too.

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-20-2003, 02:36 AM
hehe :lol:
Thats great stuff man.
The Ari fan club
I heard the President kissed him on his bald head!
I really did like him.

j2k4
05-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Ari Fleischer has served a 'normal' term of service-he told me privately he just couldn't look at Helen Thomas anymore. :x

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-21-2003, 02:20 AM
Since you brought her up.
What is her problem?
She hates this admin because they tried to remove her and everyonr knows it.
Her questions are by in large irellevent!

j2k4
05-21-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@20 May 2003 - 21:20
Since you brought her up.
What is her problem?
She hates this admin because they tried to remove her and everyonr knows it.
Her questions are by in large irellevent!
I really can't suss that one, other than to say perhaps leaving her in place (as the liberal that she was, and still purports to be-however incoherent) serves to embarrass the other media libs, who can't object to her continued presence as it would be uncharitable to do so, and the conservative faction is more than willing to leave her there for all the obvious reasons.

She is still capable of raising holy hell, givin a forum, although her increasingly goofy questions and growing irascibility make that forum less and less likely to be granted.

If there were an entity ballsy or gracious enough to manage an uneventful removal, that would surely be the way to go, but I think we may end up with a disconcerting front-row spectacle at some point in the near-future.

clocker
05-22-2003, 11:38 PM
http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/keefe052203.jpg

j2k4
05-23-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by clocker@22 May 2003 - 18:38
http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/keefe052203.jpg
Excellent!

Now, go forth and give myfiles3000 advanced instruction in semiotic imagery- ;)

clocker
05-23-2003, 02:07 AM
Article Published: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:00:00 AM MST

Adults pushing teens out of summer jobs
By George Merritt, Denver Post Staff Writer
High school- and college-age workers flooding employers in a last-minute push to find summer work are finding stiff competition for jobs normally reserved for students on summer break.
Post / Jerry Cleveland
Crystal Rivera, 17, of Denver, who just graduated from South High, was able to find a summer job at Six Flags Elitch Gardens.

Stephanie Burkhard, an experienced server, was one of nearly 60 hopefuls who showed up to interview for three positions at Nordstrom at FlatIron Crossing mall in Broomfield Wednesday.

"I don't think they were ready for that many people," said Burkhard, a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder who is hoping to work at the In-House Cafe at Nordstrom. "They were having trouble finding space to interview people."

Teenagers are struggling to find summer work as more experienced workers - some laid off from high-paying positions - fill the jobs usually offered to younger workers.

But the number of teens expecting to find work this summer is at a three-year low, according to a survey released Wednesday by Junior Achievement Inc.

"The sluggish economy has trickled down ... to the teen market," said Brad Kaufmann, a spokesman for Colorado Springs-based Junior Achievement. "Teens are competing with adults now, and the jobs are not as easy to come by."

Kaufmann said it is not uncommon to find workers laid off from other industries returning to the types of jobs they held in college. Today's high school or college students get rejected in favor of more experienced help.

Many young people who secured jobs for this summer began searching months ago.

Hyland Hills Water World in Federal Heights, a business that traditionally employs younger workers, filled about 1,000 positions in February.

"We filled up pretty fast with a lot of the same people from last year," said spokeswoman Joann Saitta. "For the rest, it takes a lot of foresight to get in here."

Carrie Seppelt, a 17-year-old junior at Rangeview High School, began looking for a summer job in October and still fell short of a dream job.

"I was looking everywhere - clothing stores, restaurants, movie theaters," Seppelt said. "They would say, 'We're not hiring,' or just give me an application and never call me back."

It was April before she finally found a job as a receptionist at The Mortgage Store.

Industries that typically employ younger workers said they have been swamped with applications.

"It's much higher," said Noodles & Company founder Aaron Kennedy. "We have seen a lot more people applying, and we are taking advantage of that."

Kennedy said the rush on jobs allows his store managers to be more choosy with hires, but he said that does not necessarily mean they are older. "We are getting a higher caliber of employee," he said. "But we are thinking more about character. We can train anyone with a great attitude."

Noodles & Company may not be totally opposed to young hires, but high-end restaurants don't have to take the risk.

"We don't have to hire young people," said Bruce Adair, who manages Jou Jou in the Hotel Teatro. "We have really noticed a lot more applicants, but we can focus on people with more experience."

But John Haag, director of the career center at the University of Denver, said that while it may not be as easy for young people to find work, with the right amount of planning, they may land a job.

"People need to start looking sooner, work harder and start at a lower level than they might expect," Haag said. "With those things, it is far less gloomy than one would think from reading newspapers and watching television."

In fact, about 45 percent of the 1,100 people who responded to the Junior Achievement survey said they were still optimistic about finding a job.

Burkhard is guarded about her chances of landing employment at Nordstrom.

"I think I have enough experience," she said. "I'm just glad I'm not a high school student."

OlderThanDirt
05-24-2003, 07:33 PM
That last article is very appropriate on many levels. Baby-boomers, unlike previous generations, are unwilling to just retire, wrap themselves in shawls, and rock away in their rocking chairs. They're more active than previous generations. And, add to that the fact that many boomers saw their life savings fritter away courtesy of the Enron debacle and other corporate hanky-panky ... and now NEED to return to the workforce to keep themselves alive.

My son manages a Burger King in Southwest Washington state. And, he hires as many seniors as he can. Why? They tend to be more responsible in their jobs (partly because many NEED them) and tend not to have their worklife affected by their social life. And, I know why my son feels that way. I managed theaters for twelve years and, for the most part, had to supervise the most volatile of all employees -- adolescents. I would have given anything to have a senior citizen apply for a job ... knowing I could count on them to be there on time, reasonably sober/straight, and motivated to do the work.

FWIW, sometime between next month and 2005 (haven't decided yet), I'm going to take early retirement from my employer. And, I'm not going to be vegitating in retirement. I'm going to be one of those seniors out there who's taking a job away from a young person. :o

j2k4
05-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@24 May 2003 - 14:33
That last article is very appropriate on many levels. Baby-boomers, unlike previous generations, are unwilling to just retire, wrap themselves in shawls, and rock away in their rocking chairs. They're more active than previous generations. And, add to that the fact that many boomers saw their life savings fritter away courtesy of the Enron debacle and other corporate hanky-panky ... and now NEED to return to the workforce to keep themselves alive.

My son manages a Burger King in Southwest Washington state. And, he hires as many seniors as he can. Why? They tend to be more responsible in their jobs (partly because many NEED them) and tend not to have their worklife affected by their social life. And, I know why my son feels that way. I managed theaters for twelve years and, for the most part, had to supervise the most volatile of all employees -- adolescents. I would have given anything to have a senior citizen apply for a job ... knowing I could count on them to be there on time, reasonably sober/straight, and motivated to do the work.

FWIW, sometime between next month and 2005 (haven't decided yet), I'm going to take early retirement from my employer. And, I'm not going to be vegitating in retirement. I'm going to be one of those seniors out there who's taking a job away from a young person. :o
You go, OTD--

Make those young whippersnappers suffer the inequities of job competition. :P

I've always tried to get more done by mistake than others do on purpose;
there is more satisfaction having one's performance observed by a teen who MIGHT benefit from the example than another who objects to being bested on "Principle". :D

OlderThanDirt
05-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Hehe. It's been said that what youth has in speed, age makes up for in cunning. I'll give those whippersnappers a run for their money (or my money, hehe).

But, getting back on topic (Ari Fleischer Resigns), there's at least one out-of-work press secretary who needs a job. And, he has proven his ability to meet or beat Fleischer's talent for saying a lot without revealing the hidden truths:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/iraq_bobnowhere.gif

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-25-2003, 04:34 AM
They're all the same
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/iraq_baghdadbob.jpg

In Dee Dee's case it had to be the toughest job on the planet.
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/deedee.jpg