PDA

View Full Version : Which Firewall do you think is the best?

Detale
01-13-2007, 05:07 AM
I am in the market for a new firewall. I was using outpost but I want something new any ideas??

killuminati96
01-13-2007, 05:27 AM
I been using XP firewall for a long time with no problems.

Chame1eon
01-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I still use sygate personal firewall. It was bought by symantec, but you can still download the old free version. I like it because it has a clean straight foreward design without vague "zones" or big goofy buttons. I'm not sure how current it is.

stam
01-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I use Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS), all in one: antivirus and firewall.
I think it is the best.

Hairbautt
01-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Agnitum Outpost Firewall, without question.

Theres also another thread about this, too: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/software/t-best-firewall-133748

100%
01-13-2007, 09:31 PM
@Detale your avatar sees to disagree.

peat moss
01-13-2007, 09:48 PM
I think it is the best.

Me too , version 6.0.1.411

lightshow
01-13-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm also looking for a new firewall.

I've been using Outpost, but recently it's been being a ****.

It will suddenly decide to block all my connections inbound and outbound because it thinks they are Ethernet attacks.

It's been happening ever since I've set up a crossover cable to hook up my xbox.

It thinks that the xbox is some sort of intruder.

But I'm not asking for help, I'm getting rid of it. I'm just sharing my personal experience.

Rip The Jacker
01-14-2007, 02:06 AM
I still use sygate personal firewall. It was bought by symantec, but you can still download the old free version. I like it because it has a clean straight foreward design without vague "zones" or big goofy buttons. I'm not sure how current it is.
Same here, Sygate Personal Firewall FTW! :)

100%
01-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I thought Sygate doesn't get new definitions since the takeover?

peat moss
01-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I was reading a topic on Firewall testing and came across this site :

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php#result-table

I don't trust alot of these independent testers but it has me wondering about Comodo Firewall . :huh:

Hairbautt
01-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I don't trust alot of these independent testers but it has me wondering about Comodo Firewall . :huh:
I saw something over at nsane about Comodo. :huh: Might be worth checking out after it gains a 'lil more popularity.

If anyone has any reviews/experience, by all means post. :D

Virtualbody1234
01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Use a hardware firewall (router) for inbound attacks and Zonealarm for control of outbound traffic.

Hairbautt
01-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Use a hardware firewall (router) for inbound attacks
I forgot about routers...:ermm: Do they really help that much tho'? I'm behind one, really cause I've always heard of its firewall stuff.

100%
01-15-2007, 08:22 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/images/pcm_exec_sum_ec.gif http://www.pcmag.com/images/pcm_large_4_5_dot.gif http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1969207,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/images/pcm_exec_sum_bottomline.gif
Comodo Personal Firewall is a kick-ass free firewall. It keeps hackers out and tricky unauthorized programs off the Internet. And it resists being terminated. It works as well as all but the best for-pay firewalls—and did I mention it's free?

http://www.pcmag.com/images/pcm_exec_sum_pros.gif
Blocks attacks from outside. Controls which programs can access the Internet or network. Recognizes known safe programs. Blocks malware-style leak tests. Resists termination by malware-style techniques.

http://www.pcmag.com/images/pcm_exec_sum_cons.gif
Initial bombardment of program-control confirmation pop-ups can be annoying—as with most firewalls.

sert
01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
I think it is the best.

Me too , version 6.0.1.411

I am using the same and confirm its the best.

DDRFREAK1030
01-15-2007, 11:20 PM
hmm im still using sygate myself

Hairbautt
01-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Here's some test results from major firewall apps: http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

gendi
01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
i recommend Agnitum Outpost Firewall

nostalgia
01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
New (free) kid on the block: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/
Based on Look 'n Stop.
Maybe worth a try.

peat moss
01-17-2007, 03:51 AM
New (free) kid on the block: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/
Based on Look 'n Stop.
Maybe worth a try.

I liked Look n stop but it worked too bloody well , hard to config . :ermm: I'm tyring out Comodo what a pain to set rules as well .

Found this to help set up your firewall with Utorrent . :)

http://portforward.com/english/routers/firewalling/routerindex.htm

faresalandlos
01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
win XP SP2

firewall is really good

Virtualbody1234
01-17-2007, 01:13 PM
win XP SP2

firewall is really good

:pinch: :no:

100%
01-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Could somebody please make a poll.

Busyman™
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Can anyone tell me the number of intrusions you had before you had firewall protection and also why do you think the M$ built-in firewall is shit?

Hairbautt
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
win XP SP2

firewall is really good

:pinch: :no:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Hairbautt/Smilies/ROTFL.gif

why do you think the M$ built-in firewall is shit?
Cause it is half-ass. Look at some firewall tests, it just lacks full coverage and features. Also, firewall hits...hmmm...I've had like one or two probably started by malware long ago when I wasn't too bright and I was click crazy. Not to mention horny. :happy: Anways, I still want to manage/monitor what's comin' in and what's goin' out. Also, wasn't there some webworm that infected unprotected systems by just being connected to teh World Wide Web? Sasser, was it?

You're not saying firewalls are uneccesary are you? :O

mr. nails
01-20-2007, 12:25 AM
just to add. zone alarm 7 just came out and i'll prob test it out this weekend.

also, maybe someone can confirm this in "this" thread. if u shut off zone alarm (not uninstall. just right click the icon in sys tray to disable it for some given time.) will windows firewall take over or will u be firewallless until u turn zone alarm back on? hopefully i can get an answer to this, but by this weekend i'll try to figure this out myself for i will be trying za7.

Hairbautt
01-20-2007, 12:47 AM
will windows firewall take over or will u be firewallless until u turn zone alarm back on?
You have to manually control Windows Firewall for the most part. If it's already on then its on, but if its off its off. It doesn't automatically click in.

Is that what you're asking? :ermm:

Also, a side note: If WinXP Security Center is active it should notify you that there is no active firewall, AV, etc. by a balloon tip in the systray thus giving you the option to tick WinXP SP2 firewall on. I have this disabled cause I moniter my own shyt, so...:happy:

peat moss
01-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Can anyone tell me the number of intrusions you had before you had firewall protection and also why do you think the M$ built-in firewall is shit?

The honest truth Busy , is I judge my firewall by what it lets out not what it lets in . I could be happy with any firewall on the market I think if config. properly . :dabs:

Virtualbody1234
01-20-2007, 01:55 AM
just to add. zone alarm 7 just came out and i'll prob test it out this weekend.

also, maybe someone can confirm this in "this" thread. if u shut off zone alarm (not uninstall. just right click the icon in sys tray to disable it for some given time.) will windows firewall take over or will u be firewallless until u turn zone alarm back on? hopefully i can get an answer to this, but by this weekend i'll try to figure this out myself for i will be trying za7.
I'm trying ZoneAlarm 7.0.302.000. It seems very similar to the previous 6.5.737 that I was using. :)

mr. nails
01-20-2007, 02:51 AM
will windows firewall take over or will u be firewallless until u turn zone alarm back on?
You have to manually control Windows Firewall for the most part. If it's already on then its on, but if its off its off. It doesn't automatically click in.

Also, a side note: If WinXP Security Center is active it should notify you that there is no active firewall, AV, etc. by a balloon tip in the systray thus giving you the option to tick WinXP SP2 firewall on. I have this disabled cause I moniter my own shyt, so...:happy:

lol, what i'm asking is... if u install zone alarm it will override windows' firewall. zone alarm is now ur firewall and windows' turned off. if u tempararily turn za off will windows' firewall kick back in? or are u now firewallless?

Virtualbody1234
01-20-2007, 03:03 AM

lol, what i'm asking is... if u install zone alarm it will override windows' firewall. zone alarm is now ur firewall and windows' turned off. if u tempararily turn za off will windows' firewall kick back in? or are u now firewallless?

You will be without firewall.

Windows firewall would have to be turned back on manually.

mr. nails
01-20-2007, 03:47 AM
ok, cool. seems like to much trouble to me. reason for the question is za works GREAT, but i ALWAYS seem to have problems with it with online gaming. seems to disrupt my latency (actually more so with just CSS overall. maybe steam just don't like za?). maybe za7 fixes this. also, zapro was even worse than the free version with my problem.

ocanica
01-20-2007, 04:22 AM
I you're a real control freak get Sygate. Unfortunately it isn't compatible with Vista and i don't think it will be anytime soon cuz of the take-over; (damn you Symantec!!).

Kwejk
01-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I tried many firewalls and always returned to my good old ZONEALARM PRO. It's easy to configure and got very good ratings for security (in many test/comparsions). And that's all I need.

ZeD_FileZ
01-21-2007, 12:47 AM
[quote=mr. nails;1676054]

Windows firewall would have to be turned back on manually.

I find the windows POS kicks itself in whenever it wants! I disable it and its off a few days and when I look again it pops its ugly little head out!!! errr should scap that useless thing from windows as it just takes up space!

Jortega_88
01-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Zone Alarm Security Suite 6.5 has a great firewall, i have yet to have a problem with it

invivo
01-21-2007, 04:20 AM
ZoneAlarm was OK for a bit... but McAfee uses less resources on my system.

slau
01-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I use zone alarm and never had problems :P

bombi
01-21-2007, 12:31 PM
I used Zonealarm but now I use Kasperky Internet Security, it has both Firewall and Antivirus.

mr. nails
01-21-2007, 01:34 PM

do all u ppl that use za and maybe other software firewalls not ever have any online gaming lags issues due to them? or do u not even play online gaming so u wouldn't even know?

nostalgia
01-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Well, Using Sygate personal myself (still out there) and my son plays World of Warcraft and never complains about the firewall lagging the game or even screaming if the &%^ damned firewall can be turned off (or he doesn't have the courage to talk to me like that...).
So no probs here.

end
01-21-2007, 02:48 PM
I like outpost... this is for me the best, and don´t lag in online games..

take a look and say something

peat moss
01-21-2007, 07:20 PM

do all u ppl that use za and maybe other software firewalls not ever have any online gaming lags issues due to them? or do u not even play online gaming so u wouldn't even know?

My little guy turns mine off when playing DOD or CCS , problem is the bugger forgets to turn it back on . :frusty:

creepingdeath
01-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I think F-Secure Firewall is the best. :)

pjnsmb
01-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Kaspersky for me - tried norton for a couple of years but got fed up with continual problems and errors causing the need for re-downloads

medo
01-27-2007, 04:20 AM
i'm not using a firewall
only vista firewall

Fortech
01-27-2007, 10:16 AM
zone alarm was great while i used it

okkes
01-27-2007, 10:17 AM
agnitum outpost is the best. zone alarm is reseting my pc.

saad99
01-27-2007, 10:52 AM
win XP SP2

andybreene
01-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I used to have ZoneAlram but it caused some CPU usage problems so I switched to Sygate which is working fine.

I've also tried Outpost and that didn't mix well with my PC.

digmen1
01-28-2007, 06:07 AM
I used to use Zonealarm Free (until today) when I found that it was stopping me set up my simple 2 PC home network on XP Home. I spent 2 weeks trying to get it going, with many suggestions from people about disabling firewalls. I did not really believe them. I disabled Zonealrm using MSconfig etc. Until today I uninstalled Zonealarm and my network worked first time !

I have seen many people having problems setting up home networks with their Work Group Places not showing shared PCs, pinging problems, permission denied etc etc. As far as I am concerned a lot of them could be fixed if they unistalled Zonealarm.

I believe a lot of these problems came in with SP2. But you would think that Zonelarm would have it sussed by now ! (I was using their latest update)

So Zonealarm sucks and I need a good free firewall !

(I had better read the whole of this thread)

regards

Digby
NZ

mr. nails
01-28-2007, 11:04 AM
i don't care to much for za either. currently i'm using comodo fw, but it has some things i don't really care about either. haven't tried games with it yet so i can't comment on that fact. what is annoying is the fact that it ALWAYS asks for permission when opening firefox or whatever browser thru msn and other appz. i've configured it so it shouldn't do this, but it does it anyway. fucking retarded. i guess i get what i pay for.. no? i would like to also add why are ppl using that sygate fw? it's over 1 year old without updates. it's still good?

peat moss
01-28-2007, 01:21 PM
@mrnails Ya Comodo is a not at lot of fun to setup , defiantly not for noobies . Its taken me days and countless forums to setup for games and p2p programs .

My little fingers bled trying to give Uttorent permissions until I read Port Forwards help forums . Revtt actually pm'd me complaining about not being able to see my connections ( Ghosted ) even tho I have a share ratio of 2.978 .Steam was n't a lot of fun either I might add till I manually added it to the safe zone in component monitor.

Here's the link again for Comodo , other Firewalls are listed on the main Firewall page .

http://portforward.com/english/softwarefw/ComodoFirewall/ComodoFirewallindex.htm

MTFG
01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
not using one///

peat moss
01-28-2007, 03:24 PM
not using one///

Congratulations your our poster boy for " How to post 20 posts " .:rolleyes:

mr. nails
01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
My little fingers bled trying to give µtorrent permissions...

really? maybe i've did something wrong then or something for comodo on my end configured itself to µtorrent right out the box. thought that was kinda suspicious for it even says it's a safe prog and didn't even need permission. idk. all other progs have asked for permission besides the µ. i am using version 2.4.16.174.

suprafreak6
01-28-2007, 09:18 PM
as of 2007 january comodo has been free even for the Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4.16.174...downloading it now

peat moss
01-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I updated early this week to Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4.16.174 it took awhile to update as well . Funny it failed the first two times , it was taking so long that I must of grew impatient and shut it down . Thats not like me . :whistling

kennyboy
01-29-2007, 03:33 AM

really? maybe i've did something wrong then or something for comodo on my end configured itself to µtorrent right out the box. thought that was kinda suspicious for it even says it's a safe prog and didn't even need permission. idk. all other progs have asked for permission besides the µ. i am using version 2.4.16.174.

I found exactly the same thing. uTorrent needed nothing at all, and I was so worried that I posted on the Comodo forum about Comodo not even asking about uTorrent. Nobody had any answer that made sense, and just said it's ok. Made me very uneasy about Comodo.

Sintez7
01-29-2007, 03:51 AM
BlackIce is the best imo

mr. nails
01-29-2007, 10:35 AM

just got home from work and now i'm getting port problems. i'm tired. i guess i'll have to figure this out tomarrow. :(

edit: took 2 hours, but dammit i got it. it was an easy fix that u wouldn't think about. silly comodo.

Hitman86
01-30-2007, 03:41 PM
i use Zone Alarm..and i dont have problems

TYPE R
01-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Kaspersky Internet Security

peat moss
01-31-2007, 03:40 AM
Kaspersky Internet Security

I see ver. 6.0.2.614 - Final is out now, I think I'll stick with 6.0.1.411 now that the bloody thing is set up right and licenced till 2008 ........ :whistling .

Smith111
01-31-2007, 09:04 PM
kaspersky

elwill
02-01-2007, 09:00 AM
i use xp firewall