PDA

View Full Version : New vs. Old Final Fantasy

lightshow
01-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I just completed Final Fantasy XII. I have to say I enjoyed it while playing, but it just wasn't as memorable as I'd hope it would be.

I think it may have been because you feel like you are more in the background. They do let you control Vann, who is someone that your supposed to immerse yourself into (since he isn't royal, and is someone that you could possible be), but the other characters don't really seem to ever "lower" their level.

I think I liked the other previous games more because they let the other characters "lower" themselves.

For example in FF9, you have Dagger and pretty much the entire game you don't have her being a royal family member worrying about royal things, etc.

You make her a regular girl. Then at the end there is a huge turn around where you see her grow up as a regular girl to mature into a princess.

Same thing with FF8. Riona goes down even though shes the daughter of a president (I believe) and becomes a regular girl who falls in love. Then at the end she has to make a change.

I don't know what it is. Something about FFXII just kept me feeling unattached. I never really knew the cities. I usually wasn't even excited about exploring the cities, and having to talk to a million people.

Every character had an important background. There were only two who were just tagging along.

It differs by having most of the characters already having a goal and a plan, rather than creating one. So you just feel like your being dragged along. The only decision making you have is to be like, yeah, let's go to this city to get information that you already know is there.

It's not like we have a problem. None of us know how to solve it, let's make a plan.

I just didn't like it as much as the others.

mr. nails
01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
i really dug ffxii, but then again i'm only 20 hours or so in it. kinda put it aside while i started to play other games. i have a bad habit of doing that now. of all the ff's out there ffvi was the best imo, but as ur title states i'd put ffvi in the "old" category and for the "new" category i'd put ffx. i thought ffx was a really rememorable game. lots of stuff went on and u WILL remember them as u go thru the game. kinda wanna play that again after playing the VERY boring story of x-2. as for xii it's mainly due to the gui/hud. it's basically a xi offline game. so, many ppl will be turned off by that.

Cheese
01-15-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm playing them all the way from the first through to 12, for no other reason than they're there. My favourite storyline has been 4 so far.

mr. nails
01-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm playing them all the way from the first through to 12, for no other reason than they're there. My favourite storyline has been 4 so far.

w0w, that would take me decades to do that now. i did just recently beat 1 and am half way thru 2. i will tackle the original 3 be4 i do the new one. i've beaten 4 to many times. 5 is kinda boring and 6 takes way to long to beat. i would like to play 7 again for i've only played it once. 8 was gay. 9 was decent, but not worth another shot so early. 10 is a must play again. i liked that one a lot for some reason. x-2, well, i'll probably never play that one again... 11, hrm, i'll be buying it again just to get the month for free. the one i currently have is on cd. the original one. i want the dvd version with ALL the expansion packs! and then there is 12. currently playing on/off.

Cheese
01-15-2007, 01:28 PM

w0w, that would take me decades to do that now. i did just recently beat 1 and am half way thru 2. i will tackle the original 3 be4 i do the new one. i've beaten 4 to many times. 5 is kinda boring and 6 takes way to long to beat. i would like to play 7 again for i've only played it once. 8 was gay. 9 was decent, but not worth another shot so early. 10 is a must play again. i liked that one a lot for some reason. x-2, well, i'll probably never play that one again... 11, hrm, i'll be buying it again just to get the month for free. the one i currently have is on cd. the original one. i want the dvd version with ALL the expansion packs! and then there is 12. currently playing on/off.

11 is the one that is going to bug me, I don't like MMORPGs at all. I'm just about to complete 4 though I have played and completed 7,8 and 9 before. It'll be a few months before I get onto 10. :pinch: