PDA

View Full Version : Everything is covered in ice

Skiz
01-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Yep, everything. It actually looks nice. Don't see ice too much in central Texas.

I had to drive about 20 MPH coming home from work b/c I was sliding around. I don't see how people live in this shit for months at a time.

S!X
01-16-2007, 06:52 AM
I heard all about this on the news, it's causing a good amount of problems eh?

Virtualbody1234
01-16-2007, 07:09 AM
I don't see how people live in this shit for months at a time.

We use rock salt to melt the ice.

Skiz
01-16-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't see how people live in this shit for months at a time.

I always found it strange that table salt will make ice water, or slush even colder, but rock salt will do the opposite. :wacko:

When I said I don't know how you guys do it, I wasn't being literal. :P

I just couldn't live in weather like that. It's just miserable. It's only like 28 here and it sucks - too cold to do anything.

My aunt sent me an email some 2-3 days ago saying it was -3 in Denver, not including the wind chill. :pinch:

No way. Screw that.

The pics were beautiful though. :O

thewizeard
01-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Well..with the future "global cooling," you better get use to it.

You can avert it all, burn more fossil fuels.

Barbarossa
01-16-2007, 09:36 AM
I always found it strange that table salt will make ice water, or slush even colder, but rock salt will do the opposite. :wacko:

I'm not surprised you find it strange, because that's not what happens :wacko:

GepperRankins
01-16-2007, 09:37 AM

i'm larfing way too much here

clocker
01-16-2007, 10:24 AM
My aunt sent me an email some 2-3 days ago saying it was -3 in Denver, not including the wind chill. :pinch:

No way. Screw that.

She must live in the warm part of town.
On the south side it's been in the minus double digits the past few nights and hasn't broken into the teens during the day.

"Screw that" is exactly how I feel, too.

Skiz
01-16-2007, 10:49 AM

Yes it does.

Watch Myth-Busters on Discovery. They start with the question of, "Will a freezer cool a 6-pack faster than a fridge" Then they went even further to determine what will cool a sixer the quickest. Results after a few minutes?

The beer in ice was at 57 degrees.
The beer in ice water was 44 degrees.
The beer in in salt water was 35.9 degrees.
The beer in in the freezer was 55 degrees.
The beer in the fridge was 60 degrees.

Why was the beer in the salt water the coolest? Because the salt drops the freezing point of the water to 24 degrees. Fact. ;)

We seem to have gotten you to stop watching YouTube for your news updates, but you're still spouting off things you don't know. :dabs:

Skiz
01-16-2007, 10:50 AM

No way. Screw that.

On the south side it's been in the minus double digits the past few nights and hasn't broken into the teens during the day.

You are a braver soul than me, sir. :yup:

j2k4
01-16-2007, 10:52 AM

No way. Screw that.

I'm enjoying balmy 7F temps. :)

You guys should all be aware that by complaining, you are only aggravating the, um, global warming problem.

Do your part and STFU. :D

Barbarossa
01-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Why was the beer in the salt water the coolest? Because the salt drops the freezing point of the water to 24 degrees. Fact. ;)

I'm not disputing that fact, you fucking retard, I'm disputing the other thing you said. The "rock salt will do the opposite" garbage.

We seem to have gotten you to stop watching YouTube for your news updates,

What the fuck are you talking about? :blink:

Skiz
01-16-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm not disputing that fact, you fucking retard, I'm disputing the other thing you said. The "rock salt will do the opposite" garbage.

It's not garbage you idiot. Rock salt melts ice. Are you actually disputing that?

Virtualbody1234
01-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Because the salt drops the freezing point of the water to 24 degrees. Fact. ;)

That says it all. 24 degrees is colder than freezing yet the salt water is just starting to freeze.

So it would also melt ice at 25 degrees F.

Busyman™
01-16-2007, 12:15 PM

I'm enjoying balmy 7F temps. :)

You guys should all be aware that by complaining, you are only aggravating the, um, global warming problem.

Do your part and STFU. :D

Agreed. El Nino has nothing at all to do with global warming and since it's warm as fuck up here there shouldn't be weird coolness elsewhere.

It should be warm across the board and stuff.

Barbarossa
01-16-2007, 12:18 PM

It's not garbage you idiot. Rock salt melts ice. Are you actually disputing that?

No I'm not disputing that you prat. salt melts the ice because when dissolved in water it lowers the freezing temperature of water. Regardless of whether it's rock salt or any other sort of salt. :frusty:

In fact, anything dissolved in water lowers the freezing temperature of water.

This is really basic stuff, skizo. :idunno:

clocker
01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Which is also an excellent way to melt your car.

Gripper
01-16-2007, 03:53 PM

When I said I don't know how you guys do it, I wasn't being literal. :P

I just couldn't live in weather like that. It's just miserable. It's only like 28 here and it sucks - too cold to do anything.

No way. Screw that.

The pics were beautiful though. :O

Its this statement that don't make sense,salt melts ice,wether rock or table.

Virtualbody1234
01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Which is also an excellent way to melt your car.

I know but it's not my choice. They spread that shit everywhere.

The best defense is to oil spray the car yearly or, for the very finicky, put it in storage for the winter.

clocker
01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
The best defense is to oil spray the car yearly or, for the very finicky, put it in storage for the winter.
In upstate Michigan where my brother lives it's very common for folks to buy a beater car just for winter.
Get it cheap, make sure it has snow tires and just run it till it rusts out from under you.
Or drive a snowmobile.

I was amazed to see how busy his carwashes were in the winter months...people were washing nearly everyday day, trying to mitigate the effects of the road salt.

Skiz
01-16-2007, 06:39 PM
It's snowing! :w00t:

Alien5
01-16-2007, 06:59 PM
prove it! build a snowman then show us a pic.

Shadowfire
01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
The trees looked pretty this morning. We poured boiling water over the steps and swept it just so that we could actually use them.

Skiz
01-16-2007, 07:22 PM

It's not snowing nearly enough for that.

I've never made a snowman before. :cry:

Proof here though - http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/?SecID=1

NA_Magus
01-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I really do wish it that storm would go a couple hundred miles south instead. I wanna see some snow.

Alien5
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
i wish it would snow here

Skiz
01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
i wish it would snow here

Don't you get plenty of snow there? :unsure:

Alien5
01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
very rarely in london, they get it around the countryside in the outish parts of london.

Skiz
01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Really? I would have thought you guys would get lots of snow.

It's cold enough right? And I know you get lots of precipitation.

Alien5
01-16-2007, 08:35 PM
no its too warm now, we will get snow in the summer, just to piss everyone off in their vacation :blink:

Virtualbody1234
01-16-2007, 09:48 PM

Oh my God! :O :blink:

Busyman™
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
In upstate Michigan where my brother lives it's very common for folks to buy a beater car just for winter.
Get it cheap, make sure it has snow tires and just run it till it rusts out from under you.

beater car = hooptie?:unsure:

We like those around these parts for driving to work also. Keep the luxury car for trips, weekends, and special outings.

Shadowfire
01-16-2007, 11:54 PM

It's not snowing nearly enough for that.

Proof here though - http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/?SecID=1

Oh gosh, dearie, you have to buy a plane ticket north right now!

Skiz
01-17-2007, 03:50 AM

I'm from Texas. If we get snow, it melts when it touches the ground, except on rare occasions. Even then, it's maybe an inch or two.

I've been outside of Texas and into the snow plenty of times, even to the Alps, but I've never built a snowman. Am I missing out on fun er what?

SpiderPig
01-17-2007, 04:04 AM
You suck.

Texas gets ice and sleet while the mid-atlantic and NorthEast gets shitty summer weather.. Bull.

Virtualbody1234
01-17-2007, 04:11 AM

I'm from Texas. If we get snow, it melts when it touches the ground, except on rare occasions. Even then, it's maybe an inch or two.

I've been outside of Texas and into the snow plenty of times, even to the Alps, but I've never built a snowman. Am I missing out on fun er what?
Yup! You've got to build a snowman at least once in your life. Do it the next chance you get. :01:

Barbarossa
01-17-2007, 09:40 AM
The trees looked pretty this morning. We poured boiling water over the steps and swept it just so that we could actually use them.

:pinch: That'll freeze and turn to ice and then you'll slip on it and break your collarbone.

Sprinkle some rock salt on the steps ASAP, n00b :P

100%
01-17-2007, 09:45 AM
http://k43.pbase.com/u17/scherrer/large/39174542.DSCF7013_w.jpg

manker
01-17-2007, 09:48 AM

:pinch: That'll freeze and turn to ice and then you'll slip on it and break your collarbone.

Sprinkle some rock salt on the steps ASAP, n00b :PNoooooo!

Rock salt has the opposite effect to normal salt. Everyone knows that.

Virtualbody1234
01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
http://k43.pbase.com/u17/scherrer/large/39174542.DSCF7013_w.jpg

That looks fake.

See there's no ice on the roof of the building nor any on the trees in the background.

100%
01-17-2007, 12:12 PM
photoshop?

http://www.weatheranswer.com/public/ice_car_.bmp

Skiz
01-17-2007, 12:26 PM
It's real. I assume the waves were just crashing over the wall.

Some more:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2387/dontparkbywater1yo9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5412/dontparkbywater3be6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Barbarossa
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Do you think the sea contains the wrong sort of salt? :blink:

Virtualbody1234
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Sea salt! :O

Busyman™
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
It's real. I assume the waves were just crashing over the wall.

Some more:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2387/dontparkbywater1yo9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5412/dontparkbywater3be6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Yeah I remember back in '94 (I think), we had a nasty ice "storm" but of course it didn't involve waves and stuff.

I remember trying to get outta my apartment parking lot and having to get a hammer to crack all the ice on the ground around my car.

Everywhere outside had a sheet of ice and it's the only time I've seen such an occurence in my area.

On those picks above, some of that had to snow that froze as it melted. Water doesn't bunch up like that.

clocker
01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
On those picks above, some of that had to snow that froze as it melted. Water doesn't bunch up like that.
Sure it does.
Heavy winds+location near open water+freezing temps=those pics.

I've seen ice like that on the shore of Lake Michigan and no doubt j2 has seen similar in his neck 'o the woods.

Busyman™
01-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Sure it does.

I've seen ice like that on the shore of Lake Michigan and no doubt j2 has seen similar in his neck 'o the woods.

I didn't say those pics entirely. :dry:

Look at the first pic with all that shit bunched up on the side view mirror looking like a hanging dick.

I understand that can ice freeze on toppa ice.

GepperRankins
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Sure it does.

I didn't say those pics entirely. :dry:

Look at the first pic with all that shit bunched up on the side view mirror looking like a hanging dick.

I understand that can ice freeze on toppa ice.
it runs down as water and freezes before it can fall :dabs:

100%
01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
strange - i can do the results of this entire thread in my head in a second.
next