PDA

View Full Version : Oink-Whats all the fuss about?

Kraig
01-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I just managed to get into Oink's members.It seems that it has a lot of content,but each torent has 1-2 Seeders and 3-4 leechers the best.I even found new torrents with 0 seeders.So,i am wondering,why everyone wants to get into Oink.It seems to me that everyone is uploading and only few download anything.

Backslash
01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
youre not looking at it right. of course all the new torrents only have one or two seeders... thats the way it usually starts you know? i doubt you looked at a large part of their torrents. plenty of torrents have over a hundred seeders. oink is not known for speed, but content. user submitted torrents means less speed, but much much much more music. the torrents with 0 seeders are users who aren't connectable or didnt upload correctly. everyone wants oink because its the best music tracker. period. the staff sucks balls, but the content is good

morphine
01-16-2007, 11:05 AM
It's true. They have everything in music. And not only music. The problem is what to download and not screw up your ratio. Thats why i barely used my account yet, despite wanting to.

CRonaldo
01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
the staff sucks balls, but the content is good

:D :lol: :D you kill me there .. but true..

firestone
01-16-2007, 11:51 AM
u can finding there very rare training toturial also

TheFoX
01-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I've heard that members avatars have to fit certainly guidelines, like they have to be pink or cuddly, or maybe both.

JA
01-16-2007, 01:12 PM
...They are Queer stay away from that place and use limewire.

ck_psu08
01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
love oink...dont know how anyone can complain about it..as long as you can upload a few torrents ratio shouldnt be a problem even with slow ul speeds..
but as onlinenooby said limewire is probably better..lol

sert
01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
limewire better than oink, LOL

ewerest
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
if u listen popular music,you can find whatever u lookin' for in other p2p software like limeware and ares.
but if u lookin for rare music,like indie or alternative oink has a huge content of these files.

aridan
01-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I just got an invitation to oink last night. One word: content. Members actually upload their own torrents, not just seed whatever was leeched from other sites. I love classical music. They have over 150torrents for that in under 5 days, including extremely rare selections, not the 'Learn classical in 24 Hours' kind ripped at 128K. I'd say half of what I saw is in FLAC. Because of those rare selections, I imagine it's hard to keep you ratio unless you also upload your own torrents, which I intend to do. Overall, I'm very impressed!

wonderferret
01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
OiNK's the greatest thing to ever happen to music p2p after Napster.

marie81
01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
I hope one day I'II get in there

ewerest
01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
its not so hard to get in but its hard to keep a good ratio.

Ratzy Rox
01-16-2007, 04:09 PM
its not so hard to get in but its hard to keep a good ratio. Until you learn just to leave what you download seeding permanently, then you upload so much that its hard to download enough to keep your ratio ~1. I reckon it wins best torrent site hands down, @the guy who prefers limewire :ermm:

Backslash
01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
keeping a ratio is easy, you just have to upload some of your own stuff. i join four months ago, upped a lot of stuff my first two weeks to make power user, haven't uploaded since then and i always keep a 1.5. just dont be stupid and grab a bunch of releases that are months old and then go into the forums with "geee why is no one seeding off me, there's gotta be something wrong!"

Melvinmeow
01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
all you gotta do is download like 1gig of rosetta stone and then seed the heck out of that 1 gig and youll be all set. I managed to seed over 200gigs off of just that. ;)

kimii
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
The content there is unbelieveable. Content > Speed

crossfade
01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
all you gotta do is download like 1gig of rosetta stone and then seed the heck out of that 1 gig and youll be all set. I managed to seed over 200gigs off of just that. ;)

Thanks for that.
Is there a specific language that is more popular than others?

morphine
01-16-2007, 06:40 PM
The content there is unbelieveable. Content > Speed

I absolutely agree. People overrate speed and pre times when compared to content. And in oinks case, the content is beyond anything anyone can find in any other speciallized tracker. And it has way more than music.

But the concern about the ratio is valid. I am very weary of starting a download there in fear of getting into a hole difficult to get out. I might try Melvinmeow's tip of rosetta stone. Hope it works.

SpiderPig
01-16-2007, 08:43 PM
I like their DTS (5.1 Surround Sound) and LossLess content.. Godly stuff when you burn them on CD and play it :)

wonderferret
01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Just try to leave everything seeded 24/7 until you cover at least 1.0 ratio and you'll be fine. I built a very good buffer on OiNK and I only have 30 kB/s upstream.

Cozmic_serpent
01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Since it is so difficult to get invites for Oink, are there any more sites out there that are similar? Im looking mainly for indie/rock music? Cheers

Backslash
01-16-2007, 09:05 PM
yeah it depends on EXACTLY what youre looking for but i like the following:

indie torrents (non riaa music)
bt music (lossless only, no black people allowed)
e***o (high quality secure lossless hi-speed uploads)
kraytracker (dont care about quallity, most punk)
the trader's den (live bootlegs in lossless)
vipmusic (scene releases. like filemp3 but better)

lysine
01-16-2007, 09:06 PM
http://www.libble.com/signup.php
http://funkytorrents.com/signup.php

Basquiat
01-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I just managed to get into Oink's members.It seems that it has a lot of content,but each torent has 1-2 Seeders and 3-4 leechers the best.I even found new torrents with 0 seeders.So,i am wondering,why everyone wants to get into Oink.It seems to me that everyone is uploading and only few download anything.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/67/clipboard03re6.jpg

Shadowfire
01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Since I'm no technical audio person, I just enjoy Oink for its expansive collection and good quality. I try not to snatch anything above mp3 VBR V0 quality, though, since that place is a pain to seed in. I generally reserve the site for anything I can't find on Soulseek with acceptable quality and download speed. I don't download music using any method or site where they don't specify the bitrate, either.

Melvinmeow
01-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks for that.
Is there a specific language that is more popular than others?

Why not just download a few MB of each language?
I beleive I downloaded the french and chinese could be wrong it was quite a while ago.

crossfade
01-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Why not just download a few MB of each language?
I beleive I downloaded the french and chinese could be wrong it was quite a while ago.

Yeah ok.
I'm not that bright... :P

Colt Seevers
01-16-2007, 11:57 PM

The zero seeders thing is due to the tracker being hammered by an on going DDOS attack, which I think is still happening, at least I haven't heard any news to the contrary :( The seeders are there it just takes longer for them to show up as connected.

The DDoS attacks are showing no signs of slowing and we're getting bored of it.

Some of you may have noticed that if you download any torrents from the site now, it should connect instantly. This is because the DDoS attack is being aimed at a specific port (the default) and we are now giving out torrents on new, random ports.

If you have a lot of old torrents in your client which are struggling to connect to the tracker, try re-downloading the .torrent from the site and see if you have better luck; you should!

The upload page has also be updated to show a different tracker URL which you can use when creating new .torrents.

^ From Oinks front page news.

.:MHD:.
01-17-2007, 01:15 AM
the staff are very strict out there guys

marie81
01-17-2007, 01:38 AM
oink has huge content. I really want get in there but It's imposible ı cant find any invitation :(

wonderferret
01-17-2007, 02:05 AM
There used to be a time when getting OiNK invites was easier, but since a few weeks back they've been cutting off your invites if you invite someone who ends up being a cheater. This makes people more cautious when sending out invites, and eliminates quite a few invite sources (the people who get their invites removed after inviting cheaters).

FlipRising21
01-17-2007, 03:14 AM
anybody have anymore tips for oink the whole roseetta things not working =( lol

ck_psu08
01-17-2007, 03:20 AM
iv invited over 15 ppl without a problem but recently i invited someone here and lost all that i had left for good, never to get anymore :(

ripas
01-17-2007, 03:43 AM
I have downloaded five popular albums - plenty of seeder with loads of leechers - only uploaded 20MB in three days......WTF !!

FlipRising21
01-17-2007, 03:45 AM
=) yea man im trying to figujre something out myself not working for me im dying lol

SpiderPig
01-17-2007, 03:58 AM
^Tip..

Download albums like electro or house music that OiNK doesn't have from like FileMP3 or some general/regular tracker, and Upload it. You'll be up to over 2 Ratio in no time. Also, you can also upload some apps (like burning tools or something), e-books you find on learning trackers like LearnBits.

I've been there like 2 days and have over 4GB upped :D

PS. I have a pathetic 40-45 kb/s Upload limit. :01:

Backslash
01-17-2007, 07:17 AM
upload large packs of comic books that you can download from demonoid. come on, use your head

Jäger
01-17-2007, 07:39 AM
oink really is amazing for lossless, and the new rule about logs is great since you can see if the rip was done right

sert
01-17-2007, 08:02 AM
I like their DTS (5.1 Surround Sound) and LossLess content.. Godly stuff when you burn them on CD and play it :)

the surround sound can be 2 channel only

the digital surround sound is 5.1

and the DTS you are referring to, is Digital Theater Systems sound, which is actually a codec

Kraig
01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Thnx for your posts guys.
I did a search for iron maiden and Elton john,which should have a lot of seeding-leeching but the best i found was a 14S -1Leech.Anyway,it does have A LOT of content and i am happy to be a member.Also,its nice that new users have the first 5Gb "free".Happy downloading to you all.

SordidSkunk
01-17-2007, 05:59 PM
oink is the only thing i know. i can't imagine how anything else could compare to the music selection, but i'm curious anyway. it would be nice if they had some video there too, but i guess ya can't have everything...

MultiKiko
01-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Good Content OK

But The speed also is very Important

amy_
01-17-2007, 11:35 PM
i've had an account for about a year now and i've only ever downloaded one song from oink lol. everything else i just find on public trackers.

Backslash
01-17-2007, 11:37 PM
i've had an account for about a year now and i've only ever downloaded one song from oink lol. everything else i just find on public trackers.wow you must have horrible taste in music

Ace444
01-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Overwhelmingly large amount of content. Only hard to keep a ratio if you are impatient; my ratio is over 4 with almost 25 gigs uploaded, and I have never uploaded one of my own torrents.

NA_Magus
01-17-2007, 11:50 PM
It's sounds like a really great tracker. Don't have an account yet but I'm looking forward to catching one soon.

ExtraSharp
01-18-2007, 06:55 AM
It's an awesome tracker, more music that you could ever want, definatly try and find an invite somewhere if you can!

gROD
01-18-2007, 07:13 AM
oink is supposed to contain the most music files anywhere. not only that, but they cut down on duplicate cd's and make sure that every file posted is legit

Backslash
01-18-2007, 07:21 AM
the staff does suck though. they have way too little for so many torrents and users to monitor them all. i admit to uploading more than my share of transcodes.

JigSaw
01-18-2007, 08:54 PM
oink is simply amazing the best muusic tracker ever you can belive itits true

_RaGe_
01-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Oink is the best music tracker that's it...

PooBar
01-19-2007, 02:16 AM
OiNk is pretty cool,lots of torrents but seed/leecher ratio not so good on a lot of stuff and OiNK is pretty good with pre times.i guess its because users can upload and a lot of users are reg with other trackers so you get a lot of uploads..umm JigSaw,not being mean but have you got a slight stutter..=)