PDA

View Full Version : XP Invalid Key Problems

SHUVT
01-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Looking for a little help on this one...

I recently got a Trojan Virus on my laptop. I tried several methods to remove it and decided to wipe the drive clean and install a fresh copy of XP on the laptop. It is a few years old and had been running poorly for quite sometime, needed to do it anyways.

The copy of windows that came with the pc was the typical OEM bundled version on Toshiba disks. I did not want to load all the extra crap that was bundled on the discs so I used another XP Home Edition disk to install XP. When I went to register the copy with the key provided with my laptop it did not work. So I did the following::huh:

Click Start, and then click Run.2.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.3.In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
4.In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.5.Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.6.Click Start, and then click Run.7.In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK. %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
8.Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.9.Click Change Product key.10.Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.11.Repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message: Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.
12.Click OK.13.Install Windows XP SP1 or a later version of Windows XP.

This still did not allow me to use the key that was provided with my laptop. Any suggestions on validating the key that I have? It is not a corporate edition and it is a valid key not a generated or downloaded one.

Thanks!

Alien5
01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
try this: http://t-line.net.ua/antiwpa/

SHUVT
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
thanks for the info on that site. I tried to find step by step instructions for installing it, but I couldn't on the forums. Is there a read me file in the Zip? I tried to get to the home page, but I am at work and I get blocked with the eveil cobra violation page! LOL I can just wait til I get home tonight, but I did not know where to find the step by step instructions to look them over.

Alien5
01-16-2007, 10:01 PM
i'll check.

Alien5
01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
dunno

invivo
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I recently had the same problem trying to reinstall XP with a valid product key on the bottom of a laptop. If it is a legit key, call up Microsoft and tell them you changed some hardware. They'll validate your old key and issue you a new one.

SHUVT
01-16-2007, 11:29 PM
I will try the genuine.reg option. Just to clarify though... Do I copy and paste the text "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" as well, or do I copy and paste from the hotkey down? Just checkin. lol If that fails I will spend a few hours online with MS I guess.

Alien5
01-16-2007, 11:37 PM
I will try the genuine.reg option. Just to clarify though... Do I copy and paste the text "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" no, if it doesnt work...then the answer is yes.

SHUVT
01-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Come on man you are supposed to be the expert! LOL I will be off in a few hours and I will try it out and let you know if it is yes/no or none of hte above.

Chewie
01-17-2007, 04:07 AM
Are you installing from an OEM version disc? If not this would be your problem.
I did this myself when I installed a new HDD in the wife's computer - full version XP won't accept an OEM key - and M$ couldn't help me either.

SHUVT
01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Well I tried it, and it didn't work. I used a OEM disc that came with another computer. Do I need to save the .reg file in a particular area? It always gave me an error when I tried to run it. Can't remember what it was for sure... Something about a non script file or text. I am still open to any suggestions for validating this damn thing. If it involves registry editing/cracks/scripts, I will probably need play by play instructions. I am not the expert when it comes to some of the registry editing and crack code stuff. Thanks!

Alien5
01-17-2007, 11:53 PM
ok download and run this: http://depositfiles.com/en/files/441167

i used it and it worked fine.

SHUVT
01-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Update...

I tried several things and finally broke down and called MS. It took about 15 minutes to reset my key and everything is good now. Thanks for all your help in trying to get this taken care of.