PDA

View Full Version : Divx/Avi compatible DVD player suggestions needed

timfromspaced
01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Hope I chose the correct forum...

I am looking to buy a DVD player that I can use to play the episodes/movies I download and hoped some people might have some recommendations from personal experiences.
I am in the UK and have upto about £45 to spend...

Busyman™
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM

I am looking to buy a DVD player that I can use to play the episodes/movies I download and hoped some people might have some recommendations from personal experiences.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/hardware/t-phillips-dvp-5960-dvd-player-149192

The USB came in handy for watching all the BSG Webisodes. They all fit on one USB key and the player will automatically play the files in order.

timfromspaced
01-17-2007, 04:06 PM
it seems a little out of my price range sadly :(

Busyman™
01-17-2007, 04:56 PM
it seems a little out of my price range sadly :(

You said £45. This one is less than that.:huh:

OIC. In dollars, £45 is about $88 which is less than what I paid (and the normal cost) but in the UK I see Amazon sells it for £68. So not only is the conversion higher over in the UK but items are sold for more money in general.

What a gyp.

chip19
01-18-2007, 04:27 AM
I can testify to the DVP-5960. I haven't tested the USB functionality, but I just throw the odd torrented videos on a DVD+RW... it hasn't failed to play anything yet. It can also play commercial DVDs that look like they were drug on the highway at 75 mph. It may be a couple bucks above your price range, but I think it'll be worth it for you in the end. You truly get what you pay for with DVD players... while a cheap one may work for some files, you know this one will play anything (or at least anything from bittorrent).

Rip The Jacker
01-18-2007, 10:03 AM

The USB came in handy for watching all the BSG Webisodes. They all fit on one USB key and the player will automatically play the files in order.
Wow... after much thought, I really want to buy the Phillips DVP-5960. I could take all my 700mb movies, put them on my 1gb flash drive, and watch them right? Also, I know it plays Divx movies, but what about Xvid movies? I think Divx and Xvid are really similar, but just to be sure, will it play Xvid's off my thumb drive?

:)

EDIT: Nooooo! After more research, I've learned it's a USB 1.1 port, and it won't recognize USB 2.0 devices. Like 4 or 5 people mentioned it being USB 1.1 only. Damn it seems the USB is half-assed right now. :(

Busyman™
01-22-2007, 04:27 AM

Wow... after much thought, I really want to buy the Phillips DVP-5960. I could take all my 700mb movies, put them on my 1gb flash drive, and watch them right? Also, I know it plays Divx movies, but what about Xvid movies? I think Divx and Xvid are really similar, but just to be sure, will it play Xvid's off my thumb drive?

:)

EDIT: Nooooo! After more research, I've learned it's a USB 1.1 port, and it won't recognize USB 2.0 devices. Like 4 or 5 people mentioned it being USB 1.1 only. Damn it seems the USB is half-assed right now. :(

Well I must have all USB 1.1 thumbdrives then (recently bought too).

I haven't had a problem yet and I've 3 different drives.

And yes it had played all the Divx and Xvid files I've thrown at it and this is from a thumbdrive.

Drives have to be formatted in FAT32. You probably could use a card reader with it as long as it had a USB port.

viper1405
01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I use SMS MediaPlayer a memory card exploit for playstation 2, along with a harddrive strapped in it. If you want I can exploit a memory card, format a harddrive and teach you how to load movies on it for $150.00. It plays Divx,xvid, and regular avi's.