PDA

View Full Version : Baby Children Advice Thread

100%
01-17-2007, 07:14 PM
He got smallpox what to do now?
He is ultra sensitive cries alot, can i go out with him, it isn't a big rash. no fever.

manker
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
He is ultra sensitive cries alot, can i go out with him, it isn't a big rash. no fever.
Do you live in a high security cooling facility within a military base.

If so, I suggest you move to somewhere where risk of infection to your family by a disease that's been eradicated throughout the world since the seventies is rather less of a concern.

100%
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
ok you win, i had translation problem, over here it is called "vankrop" waterbody, - measles???
I doubt the media need to be alerted.

I had hoped this thread would help those with children, instead of satisfy those with grammatical speculation.

I have heard that children with this problem should simply use oil and actually pop ever pimple.....

Skweeky
01-17-2007, 07:58 PM
It'll be ok dude. ( I hope you mean chicken pox though, just for the sake of the wee un)

Be glad he's got it now so you've got it all over with. A bit of fresh air will be alright as long as he's not cold.

Give him a bath, that should take away the discomfort of the rash for a little while.

If he's got a dummy, dip it in a wee bit of Calpol, or whatever child medicine you use.

PS: In case you're wondering why I would have any expertise in the is area; I've got 6 brothers and sisters all older than me who all have at least 2 kids. Me being the youngest, I did all the babysitting. I've seem them all have chicken pox and babysitted most of them whilst they had it

100%
01-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Thank you skwky will do so, you seem calm about it so it can't be so bad.

i got the whole next two days with him...
They wont allow him back in day care until he is over it, doesnt make sense, all the kids are going /need to get it at some time anyway.

manker
01-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I had hoped this thread would help those with children, instead of satisfy those with grammatical speculation.It's nothing to do with grammar, I thought you were taking the piss and replied in kind. I was kinda sure that everyone knew that smallpox was no longer a concern to the general public.

Btw, if you do mean chicken pox, then don't pop the blisters, instead cover him in pink stuff that the doctor will give you (calamine lotion) to stop him itching so much. If you mean measles then give the baby Calpol, like Skweeky said, and don't expose him to bright light cos his eyes will be really sensitive.

MagicNakor
01-17-2007, 09:35 PM
If you do mean chickenpox, and if either of you hasn't had it before, you should tell your physician. Chickenpox in adults can be very serious.

:shuriken:

Barbarossa
01-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Do you live in a high security cooling facility within a military base.

If so, I suggest you move to somewhere where risk of infection to your family by a disease that's been eradicated throughout the world since the seventies is rather less of a concern.

:lol: :glag: :lol: :glag:

I can only assume he meant chickenpox.

100% - Take him to a doctor. I have discovered that that is the best place to get good medical advice and treatment.

Mollie woke up crying, with a temperature of 39°C this morning. Children are such easy targets for viruses :(

100%
01-18-2007, 11:07 AM
ok thanks for advice, going to doctor at two.

bunny67
01-18-2007, 11:12 AM
:( hope ya not get it as well .my daughter gave me chickenpox a few years ago, i had them as a kid too, but this time they where everywhere n i mean everywhere

Barbarossa
01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Temperature peaked at 39.1°C :O

It seems to be on the way down now. NHS Direct said take her to the doctor, because she was sleepy at 12 o'clock.

12 o'clock is her usual daytime nap time, ffs :frusty:

Apparently, she seems better now, temperature still over 38°C, but she's had some food, and plenty of water.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, 100%.

Skweeky
01-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Little ones always get high temperatures though.

My mum never took any of us to the doctor unless we had 40C or more.

Then again... she did have 7 children, so I assume she picked up some knowledge along the way :lol:

100%
01-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Hope Molly gets well, water is the most vital. Sound like she is ok.

This thread is for parental hijacking expressively.

The doctor said he was over the worst, the pox things are in recline. Hence no medication.
Apart from the constipation... is it from the milk?

Barbarossa
01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Temperature is still high today, but we daren't measure it, because when we tried to measure it last night she got herself worked up into a state and then projectile-vomited the entire contents of her stomach all over us. :sick:

She's a bit chirpier today though. Had a better night's sleep, and a big breakfast. The doctor said he's not too worried about the temperature, unless she gets listless, floppy and unresponsive, but that's not the case today, far from it.

Skweeky
01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Have you got one of those ear thermometers?

Barbarossa
01-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Not yet...

We were trying to use one of those underarm ones. I dunno why she got so upset, she's been fine before.

Last week though she had one of her immunisations (I can't remember which one), so maybe she thought the thermometer was some kind of needle we were trying to stick into her :lol:

lynx
01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Have you got one of those ear thermometers?

Not yet...

We were trying to use one of those underarm ones. I dunno why she got so upset, she's been fine before.

Last week though she had one of her immunisations (I can't remember which one), so maybe she thought the thermometer was some kind of needle we were trying to stick into her :lol:Sticking an ear into her mouth would have been bad enough, I can well understand her getting upset if the had to suck on an underarm.

Mr JP Fugley
01-20-2007, 10:10 PM
We bought one that you could just point at their head.

Means you can take temps without waking the sprog.

However it MUST stay in the same room, for ambient temp reasons.

Skweeky
01-21-2007, 01:41 AM
I didn't know those existed. That's pretty cool.
I might get one of those

Mr JP Fugley
01-21-2007, 01:57 AM
I didn't know those existed. That's pretty cool.
I might get one of those

Well worth it.

True story.

Gripper
01-22-2007, 10:59 PM
We had to get a thermometer for my sprog the other day,as she had tonsilitus and croup,this one works by resting it on the forehead press button and a little tune plays when temp is took,it is made by Beechams.
http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/home-page/whats-new/digital_forehead_thermometer.htm

Brilliant gadget.

Barbarossa
01-23-2007, 09:41 AM
We've got this one on order:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-4520-Thermoscan-Ear-Thermometer/dp/B0001D0LMS

It's what they use in hospitals and surgeries, apparentement. :dabs:

Barbarossa
01-25-2007, 08:22 PM
The baby girl has been coughing her guts up for a week and a half, inducing vomiting, sleepless nights, snot everywhere, skin rashes on face, etc., and much unhappiness for us all.

The doctor says there's no infection there, so there's nothing he can prescribe. We've just got to let it run its course.

NHS, ftw. :dabs:

100%
01-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Did you also experience that when your child was around 1.5yrs old, that when they get a cold that he/she has problems breathing, short breaths?

Mine gets it everytime, it's terrible. Doctor merely tells us to put him in a damp room / shower with lots of steam.

Barbarossa
01-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Steam definitely helps, also you can get something called "snufflebabe", which is like a junior version of Vick's Vaporub, which if you rub on their sleepsuits is supposed to help with breathing in the night, when they are blocked up.

=========

Anyway, she's getting better. Coughing has nearly stopped, we've just got an endlessly running nose to contend with at the moment.

100%
01-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Kid is now 3.5yrs old.
In the morning now a days, when i need to bring him to the kindergarten it seems i have 2 choices.
The method is different but the outcome is the same.
1. Happy way - ask him politely to put on his clothes eat breakfast and go outside, the effect of this that it takes me about 2 hrs to get him going including playing with toys, uber consideration, a lot of energy on my behalf - on occasion this method comes out great but 68% of time will result in him not wanting (crying, screaming, taking off clothes etc) to dress up cause he knows it means going to school., once outside it is a different world new impulse all is forgotten.

Strict Way - Explain to him we have to go and force (struggle) the clothes on to him, this results in stronger resistance..........
The outcome is the same, once outside.
This method is more efficient time wise.

It hurts me either way, i know that once he is at the the destination he loves it, the resistance is hell.

Advice pls.

lynx
01-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Put the clothes on in the car?

pentomato
01-22-2009, 01:21 AM
ok you win, i had translation problem, over here it is called "vankrop" waterbody, - measles???
I doubt the media need to be alerted.

I had hoped this thread would help those with children, instead of satisfy those with grammatical speculation.

I have heard that children with this problem should simply use oil and actually pop ever pimple.....

Did you bring your child to the doctor? You could get more answeers with your doctor.
Never mind, I didn't read the whole thing before.

Barbarossa
01-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Kid is now 3.5yrs old.
In the morning now a days, when i need to bring him to the kindergarten it seems i have 2 choices.
1. Happy way - ask him politely to put on his clothes eat breakfast and go outside, the effect of this that it takes me about 2 hrs to get him going including playing with toys, uber consideration, a lot of energy on my behalf - on occasion this method comes out great but 68% of time will result in him not wanting (crying, screaming, taking off clothes etc) to dress up cause he knows it means going to school., once outside it is a different world new impulse all is forgotten.

Strict Way - Explain to him we have to go and force (struggle) the clothes on to him, this results in stronger resistance..........

It hurts me either way, i know that once he is at the the destination he loves it, the resistance is hell.

Advice pls.

Going through exactly the same thing. They get stubborn at this age.

Have you tried giving chocolate bribes? :yes:

pentomato
01-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Kid is now 3.5yrs old.

Advice pls.

Going through exactly the same thing. They get stubborn at this age.

Have you tried giving chocolate bribes? :yes:

At that age they are slow, come on people, kids at that age can't dress theirselves, what's wrong with you?
You forgot that you were kids, of course it takes lots of energy, they are kids and you are the parents.
You can't bribe kids, that's plain wrong, you do it now, you will have to do it forever and then you have to deal with fat kids, or kids that missbehave to get something in return.

pentomato
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Kid is now 3.5yrs old.

Advice pls.

Did you try to read any good books about what to expect at every age?
Your kids behaviour is normal, at that age they are hell and they will drain you to dead.

pentomato
01-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Remember people the doctor is not always right, parents know better than the doctor what works or doesn't work with your children, do not allow any doctor to tell you otherwise.

100%
01-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for tips - made a deal with the wife to take him out of bed in mornings, put on sofa to get him the feeling that day has started.
Asked her to tell him that he needs to help pappito dressing up without complaining.
So far it has been all smiles.

yes i should get into reading books about this subject.