PDA

View Full Version : Procrastination. Help.

Seedler
01-18-2007, 03:17 AM
This is a serious question so please serious responses only. (Drawing room duh)

How do I stop procrastinating ALL THE TIME.

I swear on nights I would have 5-6 assignments that are weeks overdue, and yet somehow manage to put them off till the next day by surfing web, watching youtube, playing piano, playing sports, playing games, etc etc. Just anything as long as I don't have to do school e my marks are dropping, but whenever I'd actually have to do something I'd just procrastinate.:pinch:work.

I'd say to myself it's only after school, I'll play a bit right now there's plenty of time.

Then next thing I know it's dinner time, and after dinner I'd get really lazy and put it off till bedtime.

Then I'd tell myself to stay up late and finish the project that's due the next day, but I end up sitting in front of my comp playing more games.

Finally it's 3 am in the morning when I finally start the project and I'd get it done at 6 am and get 1 hr of sleep and can't function at all the next day.

The cycle repeats over and over again, and I'd say to myself so many times I gotta get off my fat lazy ass becaus

Really I'm quite desperate at my lack of willpower, maybe I've a disease or something.:dry: I need professional help.:no: but this will do for now.

maebach
01-18-2007, 03:26 AM
I knew you'd realise that soon. Im in the same boat too. :\

Hows bateman man?

Virtualbody1234
01-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Let me think about it.

I may eventually get back to you about this...

gROD
01-18-2007, 07:22 AM
get out during the day... excersize.

Barbarossa
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
This is a serious question so please serious responses only. (Drawing room duh)

How do I stop procrastinating ALL THE TIME.

I swear on nights I would have 5-6 assignments that are weeks overdue, and yet somehow manage to put them off till the next day by surfing web, watching youtube, playing piano, playing sports, playing games, etc etc. Just anything as long as I don't have to do school e my marks are dropping, but whenever I'd actually have to do something I'd just procrastinate.:pinch:work.

I'd say to myself it's only after school, I'll play a bit right now there's plenty of time.

Then next thing I know it's dinner time, and after dinner I'd get really lazy and put it off till bedtime.

Then I'd tell myself to stay up late and finish the project that's due the next day, but I end up sitting in front of my comp playing more games.

Finally it's 3 am in the morning when I finally start the project and I'd get it done at 6 am and get 1 hr of sleep and can't function at all the next day.

The cycle repeats over and over again, and I'd say to myself so many times I gotta get off my fat lazy ass becaus

Really I'm quite desperate at my lack of willpower, maybe I've a disease or something.:dry: I need professional help.:no: but this will do for now.

It's just a question of self-control.

You need to do the unpleasant stuff first, and then give yourself the fun stuff afterwards, as a reward.

If you can, break down the unpleasant stuff into smaller bite-size chunks, so they don't seem to bad.

If you can manage to do this successfully, then let me know how you've done it. I think everyone procrastinates to some extent. The difference between winners and losers is just taking a deep breath and getting stuck in to what has to be done.

In work now, over the next 2 weeks I have to write 6 Reports using Crystal Decisions. Bunch of fucking arse, it's the worst part of my job. But at the end of the day the sooner I do it, the sooner I can get on to more fun stuff. However, here I am on FST as usual... :frusty:

bigboab
01-18-2007, 09:30 AM
If your school library stays open after school. Go there and do your your homework. If possible, dont leave until you have completed it. There should be Tutor help available in the library, if you need it. Speak to your class Tutor, that is what he is paid for.:)

MCHeshPants420
01-19-2007, 08:21 AM
If your school library stays open after school. Go there and do your your homework.

I agree, I get most of my work done at the library as I get too distracted at home. I'm fortunate that my uni library is open 24/7. Recently I've been using my work's office on a sunday to work on my dissertation which has been going quite well, just get away from the toys and you'll be more focused on the task(s) at hand.

ahctlucabbuS
01-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Here's an article I've procrastinated. Tell me if it's any good.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/overcoming-procrastination.htm

thewizeard
01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
If you can, break down the unpleasant stuff into smaller bite-size chunks, so they don't seem to bad. Just like a bittorrent client . :)

All this is good advice, although I fear it will be wasted . I would suggest you seek psychiatric help, as being addicted to anything, needs professional help.

Barbarossa
01-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I would suggest you seek psychiatric help, as being addicted to anything, needs professional help.

Don't be so wet. All you need to beat an addiction is willpower and strength of character.

bigboab
01-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I would suggest you seek psychiatric help, as being addicted to anything, needs professional help.

Don't be so wet. All you need to beat an addiction is willpower and strength of character.

There are many different reasons for addiction, and individuals will often develop an addiction through a confluence of these reasons.

There is evidence at the genetic/heredity level that seems to indicate predisposition. This means that certain genetic traits are shared among people who have addictions that do not appear in other segments of the population. These traits may allow for certain aspects of a person's physiology to be more prone to developing dependence. This can be seen in certain variations in how different individuals process or produce neurochemicals in their brain. This also has to do with how receptor sites on brain cells operate.

Environmental factors also play a role. A person's level of self-awareness and feelings of self-worth would necessarily play their part. Situations which may arise early on in a person's life may create a distinct lack of value that one may normally develop for themselves. This can open the door for the need to supplant actual feelings of self-love and satisfaction with what ephemeral and external sources can provide.

Addictions come in many forms, from chemical substances which elicit physiological and psychological effects such as euphoria or detachment, to actions such as sex or shopping or gambling. While they all are unique and have numerous, complex beginnings, they all pretty much boil down to an individual seeking to create within themselves an environment of happiness and contentment that they feel they lack, especially when seen in comparisons to others around them.

SpiderPig
01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Take breaks when working.. That's what I do.

Say I have an English essay due next Monday (giving me a week), I'm going to read the book (or sparknotes) on the first 2 days; Start researching themes and ideas of the book the 3rd day; Organize the essay (outlines and thesis) the 4th day; Write the body paragraphs on Friday; Write the Intro and Conclusion on Saturday; and just revise/do bibliography on Sunday.

Also, when writing or doing any type of homework, take breaks! When I'm doing a large assignment or studying for a test, I usually do less than half of it and go visit my girl or shoot some hoops, then get back into it.

PS. Don't think you're the only one procrastinating or don't have much time on your hands. I'm involved in 6 clubs, volunteer around the community, play the violin and piano, AND play a sport in each season (Soccer, Indoor Track, Baseball).

bigboab
01-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Take breaks when working.. That's what I do.

Say I have an English essay due next Monday (giving me a week), I'm going to read the book (or sparknotes) on the first 2 days; Start researching themes and ideas of the book the 3rd day; Organize the essay (outlines and thesis) the 4th day; Write the body paragraphs on Friday; Write the Intro and Conclusion on Saturday; and just revise/do bibliography on Sunday.

Also, when writing or doing any type of homework, take breaks! When I'm doing a large assignment or studying for a test, I usually do less than half of it and go visit my girl or shoot some hoops, then get back into it.

PS. Don't think you're the only one procrastinating or don't have much time on your hands. I'm involved in 6 clubs, volunteer around the community, play the violin and piano, AND play a sport in each season (Soccer, Indoor Track, Baseball).

Whoopsie Doo Dah. You look like you are one of those 'jocks'. All you have to do is continually put your balls in the right place and you graduate. Wait a minute...:rolleyes:

thewizeard
01-23-2007, 12:23 PM

..well being addicted to something shows that one has not those attributes..and also the human mind is cunning and will find at some time and excuse to indulge...

100%
01-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I love the word Procrastination, it makes Lazy sound smart.

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-01/procrastination-cartoon-dave-walker.gif

Barbarossa
01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I love the word Procrastination, it makes Lazy sound smart.

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-01/procrastination-cartoon-dave-walker.gif

:glag: :earl:

This could have been drawn about me every day at work :pinch: