PDA

View Full Version : Why are newsgroups safer?

ExtraSharp
01-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Can someone exapain to me why newgroups protect users (from copyright lawsuits) better than alternative P2P methods? I understand that they encourage downloading without the need to upload, which in itself is safer. But do they keep user's uploads/download more anonymous? If so, how?

Also, I am currently a Oink user, and im mainly interested in music. I especially like that Oink always has the newest releases, especially by lesser known bands. In this respect, would newgroups be a good option for me?

Thanks.

thedude0
01-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Nobody can see your IP adress when you're downloading or even uploading and nobody logs anything, so basically its impossible to get caught

http://www.alt-bin.com/index.php?pg=fd&ch=alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.complete_cd
those are most of the albums that have been uploaded in the last 30 days but there is a lot more than only alt-bin.com on usenet

Colt Seevers
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Nobody can see your IP adress when you're downloading or even uploading and nobody logs anything, so basically its impossible to get caught

Some newshosters also offer SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption as an added security option, for even more privacy. Never had or felt the need to use it though.

I'm still using Oink for my albums as well, just I find it easier to find what I'm looking for there.

Damnatory
01-18-2007, 07:27 PM
While usenet is wonderful for movies, games, and apps it is still sort of lacking in the Music side. If you listen to anything remotely obscure, chances are you won't have very much luck finding it on newsgroups.

However if you listen to the most popular, and mainstream of music, then you will have no troubles at all.

ExtraSharp
01-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Thats guys! I appreaciate your input. This is a great forum you have here.

webe123
01-19-2007, 12:04 PM
While usenet is wonderful for movies, games, and apps it is still sort of lacking in the Music side. If you listen to anything remotely obscure, chances are you won't have very much luck finding it on newsgroups.

However if you listen to the most popular, and mainstream of music, then you will have no troubles at all.

I don't know WHAT your definition of "obscure music" is, but newsgroups offer things from the 60s and 70s (even earlier) I cannot find anywhere else. They also offer certian types of music such as clasical, folk, etc.

Again, I don't know what your defintion is of obscure music, but I have been able to find whatever music I want at blazing speeds on usenet.

thedude0
01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
If you can't find something, request it at one of the irc communities. chances are high your reqs will be filled

Nardz
01-21-2007, 02:54 AM

I don't know WHAT your definition of "obscure music" is, but newsgroups offer things from the 60s and 70s (even earlier) I cannot find anywhere else. They also offer certian types of music such as clasical, folk, etc.

Again, I don't know what your defintion is of obscure music, but I have been able to find whatever music I want at blazing speeds on usenet.

You obviously don’t use oink if you think that Usenet is better for finding obscure music. Enough said.

The problems I have with Usenet and music are that it’s a much more complicated process when trying to find the music and that it can’t separate the albums into individual folders containing the albums name. It very annoying to have to go back and sort all the mp3 files when they are finished, also the files are only on Usenet for a month and then there gone. There are some albums that have been on oink for over a year. Don’t get me wrong I love Usenet for everything except music.

kabloomz
01-21-2007, 03:06 AM
also... you are pretty much downloading text messages...

Nardz
01-21-2007, 03:48 AM
also... you are pretty much downloading text messages...
more like emails with attachments

webe123
01-21-2007, 04:33 AM

You obviously don’t use oink if you think that Usenet is better for finding obscure music. Enough said.

The problems I have with Usenet and music are that it’s a much more complicated process when trying to find the music and that it can’t separate the albums into individual folders containing the albums name. It very annoying to have to go back and sort all the mp3 files when they are finished, also the files are only on Usenet for a month and then there gone. There are some albums that have been on oink for over a year. Don’t get me wrong I love Usenet for everything except music.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about either! There are groups on usenet that have far more content in music also! Plus you can have any request filled within a matter of hours. 'NUFF SAID!

You also don't have to up it back to some private BT site.

And everyone knows Giganews offers 90 day retention which is THREE MONTHS...so I don't know what you are going on about one month retention either.

Broken
01-21-2007, 05:18 AM
If you are relying on NZB files for music, or anything really you are at the poster's mercy. Tons of great stuff goes overlooked. Sometimes if you want something you have to download headers and sort things out for yourself.

As above,
up to three months retention on giganews, and most stuff gets reposted regularly within weeks.

berberine
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
If you are relying on NZB files for music, or anything really you are at the poster's mercy. Tons of great stuff goes overlooked. Sometimes if you want something you have to download headers and sort things out for yourself.

As above,
up to three months retention on giganews, and most stuff gets reposted regularly within weeks.

I've never gotten into relying on NZB files for that very reason. I've been using usenet since 92 and have just become accustomed to reading headers very quickly. I, too, have also found that there is a lot of good stuff that people can miss if they rely solely on NZB files for finding stuff. Most people just don't have the patience to wait for the headers to load and then search through them, though, after you've done it once, there aren't many to look at each day.

geen
01-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Binsearch for example has a browse groups option, this combines the good things of headering and nzb's. You dont have to download headers, you can see everything that gets posted + things like auto grouping packs make it a verry usefull function.

I am only into 0-day stuff, i check torrentsites/prechannels/dupesites for new releases and find them on binsearch. Music for example is a bit more "obscure" so i download the headers of my favourite groups twice a week (3 days retention). Most of these music groups a small enough to header in a couple of minutes and easy to read trough.

[Jon]
01-27-2007, 11:07 PM

False. I just started using GrabIt for my newsgroups as I found out my ISP has a host and already found obscure music that I enjoy. Gg.

12spysonu
02-01-2007, 01:53 AM
thanks

geen
02-01-2007, 02:02 AM
thanks

Youve said thanks 13 times allready, please try to actually ad something to the conversation :)

Colt Seevers
02-01-2007, 02:12 AM
thanks

Die! Fluff posting monkey love child. you've got yer 20+ see you in a month, or when ever your month is up.

All these rats are getting put on ignore.

MultiForce
02-01-2007, 02:20 AM
thanks

Die! Fluff posting monkey love child. you've got yer 20+ see you in a month, or when ever your month is up.

All these rats are getting put on ignore.

What do they need 20+ posts for?

Colt Seevers
02-01-2007, 03:08 AM

You Must Be A Member 30 Days AND Have 20 Posts To Use The BT Invites Section (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/everything-related-board/t-you-must-member-30-days-and-have-20-posts-use-bt-invites-section-125696)

MultiForce
02-01-2007, 03:13 AM

You Must Be A Member 30 Days AND Have 20 Posts To Use The BT Invites Section (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/everything-related-board/t-you-must-member-30-days-and-have-20-posts-use-bt-invites-section-125696)

Aha, oki. I live within the walls of Newsgroup section :P

ciderman
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
this clears up a question that i had ie. safety. have friends that say was asking for trouble if using newsgroups, this should answer them.

geen
02-01-2007, 02:57 PM
this clears up a question that i had ie. safety. have friends that say was asking for trouble if using newsgroups, this should answer them.

Then your friends dont know what they are talking about :/