PDA

View Full Version : China shoots down satellite

Ava Estelle
01-19-2007, 04:50 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.

Source (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/01/18/china.missile/index.html)

Another case of US arrogance? They did the same thing in 1985, and were\are developing space weapons. The US have any number of satellites in orbit that are used constantly to direct laser guided bombs.

Look at this piece of arrogance ..

Under a space policy authorized by President Bush in August, the United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."

The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."

Who the fuck do they think they are? They assert the right to use space for their own purposes and deny another country the right to defend themselves?

If Europe doesn't get up off it's arse, drop the US, and become a superpower in it's own right, the world will be in for another arms race and resulting cold war, with all that entails. They have proved beyond any doubt that a single superpower is more dangerous than two, or even three.

Skiz
01-19-2007, 05:33 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.

Source (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/01/18/china.missile/index.html)

Another case of US arrogance? They did the same thing in 1985, and were\are developing space weapons. The US have any number of satellites in orbit that are used constantly to direct laser guided bombs.

Look at this piece of arrogance ..

Under a space policy authorized by President Bush in August, the United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."

The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."

Who the fuck do they think they are? They assert the right to use space for their own purposes and deny another country the right to defend themselves?

Where does that say we are denying anyone the right to defend their country in respect to space ventures?

I don't find it unreasonable to "assert" ourselves against another countries hostile activities towards our country. :dabs:

If Europe doesn't get up off it's arse, drop the US, and become a superpower in it's own right, the world will be in for another arms race and resulting cold war, with all that entails. They have proved beyond any doubt that a single superpower is more dangerous than two, or even three.

BawA
01-19-2007, 07:34 AM
bush is really into holywood, he think since all aliens 1st attack USA and they're the one to defeat them he owns the space.

Ava Estelle
01-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Where does that say we are denying anyone the right to defend their country in respect to space ventures?

Why did the US complain about China doing something they themselves have done?

How about this ..

"If we, for instance, got into a conflict over Taiwan, one of the first things they'd probably do would be to shoot down all of our lower Earth-orbit spy satellites, putting out our eyes," said John Pike of globalsecurity.org, a Web site that compiles information on worldwide security issues.

This is the US admitting they have low Earth spy satellites over China, then complaining when the Chinese develop the capacity to bring them down.

I don't find it unreasonable to "assert" ourselves against another countries hostile activities towards our country. :dabs:

Hostile activities? Protecting themselves against your hostile activities is hardly hostile.

Skiz
01-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Why did the US complain about China doing something they themselves have done?

First, let me say that I didn't hear any of this today so all I've got to go on is what you've posted.

If the US got "upset" about it, I would like to believe that it is with merit. Did China notify surrounding nations, UN, anyone that it would be launching an interstellar missile? A courtesy call of sorts to be certain no one got their finger close to "the button"? Did the US when we did it? I dunno, but it seems the right thing to do either way.

It certainly doesn't seem that anyone got their panties in a bunch though.

How about this ..

"If we, for instance, got into a conflict over Taiwan, one of the first things they'd probably do would be to shoot down all of our lower Earth-orbit spy satellites, putting out our eyes," said John Pike of globalsecurity.org, a Web site that compiles information on worldwide security issues.

This is the US admitting they have low Earth spy satellites over China, then complaining when the Chinese develop the capacity to bring them down.

Is it? OK, but you made it seem as if we have satellites simply hovering over them just waiting to make a move. These satellites may be a bit secretive in nature, but believe me, China knows they're there. We're not shocking them with that statement. They are circling the Earth 100's of times a day and are essentially the same distance over plenty of other countries as well in their daily loops.

Do you think that China has no "low Earth satellites"? I'm sure that would be one of our first moves as well.

Hostile activities? Protecting themselves against your hostile activities is hardly hostile.

What? This is so far off the bag/topic/point I don't know where to start. :wacko:

I'll just leave it at this - What did we (USA) do in this that was so hostile? :huh:

MCHeshPants420
01-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Mr Johndroe said the US "believes China's development and testing of such weapons is inconsistent with the spirit of co-operation that both countries aspire to in the civil space area".

While the US may be unhappy about China's actions, the Washington administration has recently opposed international calls to end such tests.

It revised US space policy last October to state that Washington had the right to freedom of action in space, and the US is known to be researching such "satellite-killing" weapons itself.

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6276543.stm)

Mr Johndroe should probably shut his mouth as they're not doing anything that USA isn't planning on doing, they should probably all cut it out though as the space debris will cause havoc up their and if it ruins my TV watching I'll be pissed.

MCHeshPants420
01-19-2007, 08:55 AM
I'll just leave it at this - What did we (USA) do in this that was so hostile? :huh:

USA opposes calls to end such tests and is planning on using such technology itself. China, as the world's next superpower, will obviously want to keep up.

bigboab
01-19-2007, 09:04 AM
While the US may be unhappy about China's actions, the Washington administration has recently opposed international calls to end such tests.

It revised US space policy last October to state that Washington had the right to freedom of action in space, and the US is known to be researching such "satellite-killing" weapons itself. Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6276543.stm)

Mr Johndroe should probably shut his mouth as they're not doing anything that USA isn't planning on doing, they should probably all cut it out though as the space debris will cause havoc up their and if it ruins my TV watching I'll be pissed.

I thought you was pissed when you watched TV.:)

Sorry, I forgot this was the Drawing Room. I should have said we are already getting the shit on TV.

Ava Estelle
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Did China notify surrounding nations, UN, anyone that it would be launching an interstellar missile?Why do you bring up things that no-one has mentioned? If you have no argument why not just say nothing, or do some research.

What? This is so far off the bag/topic/point I don't know where to start. :wacko:

Really? So if the US and China went to war over Taiwan that wouldn't be hostile? And they would have no right to respond? Do you ever think before you post?

Barbarossa
01-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Did China notify surrounding nations, UN, anyone that it would be launching an interstellar missile?

That would be a dopey thing to do, considering there's no such thing as an interstellar missile. :dabs:

Biggles
01-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Skizo

Does the US have geo-stationary spy satellites over China? (Not sure myself just asking) but if they do then China might well want to develop such a capability.

The US like any big power likes to have a monoploy and tends to grumble if anyone plays catch up. I am not sure that China will take much notice of the grumbles to be honest.

Although Europe comes in for criticism from the US for not spending huge sums on defence when we did put together a rather neat spy satellite package of our own, which has a higher resolution than the current now quite elderly Pentagon system. the Pentagon said it was "unhelpful"

in Europe we were :idunno: followed by :dabs:

Busyman
01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Billy, you seem to think the world is a fair place. You have this wild notion that "gollygeewillickers, everyone should be on even footing no matter what."

Do you think Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt should have this capability too? How about long range nuclear capability?

Your country, Australia, lodged a protest too.

I really wish (after I'm dead and long gone of course) that the US and it's allies would take a hands off approach with this stuff and let these things take it's course.

"If the US has it, they should be able to have it" is your logic.

I'm not saying the world would fall flat on it's ass but I'm saying it'll very "fair", like you want it.

bigboab
01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Billy, you seem to think the world is a fair place. You have this wild notion that "gollygeewillickers, everyone should be on even footing no matter what."

Do you think Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt should have this capability too? How about long range nuclear capability?

I really wish (after I'm dead and long gone of course) that the US and it's allies would take a hands off approach with this stuff and let these things take it's course.

I'm not saying the world would fall flat on it's ass but I'm saying it'll very "fair", like you want it.

The USA thinks that it is OK for Israel to have this capbility. Why the change in attitude for them(Israel)?

Skiz
01-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Did China notify surrounding nations, UN, anyone that it would be launching an interstellar missile?

That would be a dopey thing to do, considering there's no such thing as an interstellar missile. :dabs:

interstellar - "to be among or between the stars" A missile in space is "among the stars". Fuck off.

Skizo

Does the US have geo-stationary spy satellites over China? (Not sure myself just asking) but if they do then China might well want to develop such a capability.

The US like any big power likes to have a monoploy and tends to grumble if anyone plays catch up. I am not sure that China will take much notice of the grumbles to be honest.

Although Europe comes in for criticism from the US for not spending huge sums on defence when we did put together a rather neat spy satellite package of our own, which has a higher resolution than the current now quite elderly Pentagon system. the Pentagon said it was "unhelpful"

in Europe we were followed by

I'm not sure either, but I wouldn't blame them having them, nor would I blame any country for setting up such defensive measures.

Busyman
01-19-2007, 03:14 PM

The USA thinks that it is OK for Israel to have this capbility. Why the change in attitude for them(Israel)?

The USA also thinks it is OK for the UK to have it. What's your point?

Barbarossa
01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Skizo

in Europe we were followed by

I'm not sure either, but I wouldn't blame them having them, nor would I blame any country for setting up such defensive measures.

If a spy satellite sends you back information which enables you to target your interstellar missiles on military bases and such, then it's more of an offensive measure than a defensive one :dabs:

MCHeshPants420
01-19-2007, 03:33 PM

interstellar - "to be among or between the stars" A missile in space is "among the stars". Fuck off.

:noes:

It was a ballistic missile.

Ava Estelle
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Billy, you seem to think the world is a fair place. .And you seem to think the US owns the whole fucking planet and the space that surrounds it ... so what's your point?

Do you think Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt should have this capability too? How about long range nuclear capability? Why not, what business is it of yours?

manker
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM
interstellar - "to be among or between the stars" A missile in space is "among the stars". Fuck off.I just went for an interstellar walk down the shop.

Interstellar - "to be among or between the stars". The shop is on earth and that's "among the stars". Fuck off.

===

The passage of the missile, or my walk, would have to be between two stars (or, more correctly, between two solar systems) for it to be interstellar.

Think of it like an intercontinental flight. It's not intercontinental if it's from Washington to LA, because even tho' technically it's flying in airspace that's between the continents of Asia and Europe, it's not flying to a different continent, but it is intercontinental if it's from Washington to Cardiff.

Ava Estelle
01-19-2007, 03:35 PM
interstellar - "to be among or between the stars" A missile in space is "among the stars". Fuck off.:noes:

Good enough for the Hall of Fame? :)

Ava Estelle
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
but it is intercontinental if it's from Washington to Cardiff. Cardiff is a continent now? Why wasn't I told?

manker
01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
but it is intercontinental if it's from Washington to Cardiff. Cardiff is a continent now? Why wasn't I told?Why don't you take me thro' the thought process that led you to the conclusion that I was inferring that Cardiff was a continent rather than merely being on a different one to Washington.

Don't get me wrong, I totally love reading your stuff about why we should all hate America - but I feel this change in tack will give regular visitors to the board a valuable insight into your psyche.

vidcc
01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
I think the whole thing is just saber rattling.
China is reacting exactly how any major power would. No power is going to leave itself vulnerable if it can avoid it and no country is going to be happy at not having an advantage.

I get the point entirely about the "do as we say not as we do" attitude. It's just one part of our foreign policy that we are apparently not allowed to raise because it means we are blaming America and think we deserve what we get.
It raises my ire when I hear anyone from this administration avoid responsibility for anything by saying "Nobody could have predicted" or"nobody expected"............. Sorry but lots of people expected and predicted, but when they said it they were called surrender monkeys, terrorist sympathizers or just traitors that want America to lose.

I always think the best way to approach things like this is to ask ourselves how we would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.
I don't think china has spy satellites over the US. If it did we would have heard about it by now and there would be full international protest or it would have been taken out if not by missile then by NASA.

It's all part of the game. The way it's played is so silly it would be funny.........except there's nothing to laugh about. :(

Ava Estelle
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Why don't you take me thro' the thought process that led you to the conclusion that I was inferring that Cardiff was a continent rather than merely being on a different one to Washington.

Why don't you take me thro' the thought process that led you use Washington and Cardiff as an example of intercontinental travel, as opposed to, say, America and Europe?

Don't get me wrong, I totally love reading your stuff about nothing in particular - but I feel this change in tack will give regular visitors to the board a valuable insight into your psyche.

manker
01-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Why don't you take me thro' the thought process that led you to the conclusion that I was inferring that Cardiff was a continent rather than merely being on a different one to Washington.

Why don't you take me thro' the thought process that led you use Washington and Cardiff as an example of intercontinental travel, as opposed to, say, America and Europe?

Don't get me wrong, I totally love reading your stuff about nothing in particular - but I feel this change in tack will give regular visitors to the board a valuable insight into your psyche.Everyone knows that Washington is in N. America and everyone knows that Cardiff is in Europe. It makes little difference which example I used.

Btw, I'm taking your rather poor deflection as a 'no'.

bigboab
01-19-2007, 06:17 PM

The USA also thinks it is OK for the UK to have it. What's your point?

The USA could not stop the UK from having this capability without the UK replying in kind. It can definately stop Israel. Instead it vetoes any attempt of the UN to censure Israel. Why should all the other middle eastern states not be allowed the same capabilities that Israel has. Not that I want anyone to have these capabilities.

P.S Our near neighbours also have the 'bomb'.

ilw
01-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Skizo

geostationary is only possible above the equator, and china isn't above the equator...

Low earth orbit ones go all over the shop, i would be surprised if none of the US ones go over China

Busyman
01-19-2007, 06:36 PM
And you seem to think the US owns the whole fucking planet and the space that surrounds it ... so what's your point?

Not at all.

Do you think Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt should have this capability too? How about long range nuclear capability? Why not, what business is it of yours?

I rest my case.:smilie4:

Mr JP Fugley
01-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I think the whole thing is just saber rattling.
China is reacting exactly how any major power would. No power is going to leave itself vulnerable if it can avoid it and no country is going to be happy at not having an advantage.

I get the point entirely about the "do as we say not as we do" attitude. It's just one part of our foreign policy that we are apparently not allowed to raise because it means we are blaming America and think we deserve what we get.
It raises my ire when I hear anyone from this administration avoid responsibility for anything by saying "Nobody could have predicted" or"nobody expected"............. Sorry but lots of people expected and predicted, but when they said it they were called surrender monkeys, terrorist sympathizers or just traitors that want America to lose.

I always think the best way to approach things like this is to ask ourselves how we would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.
I don't think china has spy satellites over the US. If it did we would have heard about it by now and there would be full international protest or it would have been taken out if not by missile then by NASA.

It's all part of the game. The way it's played is so silly it would be funny.........except there's nothing to laugh about. :(

See, he does it occassionaly, that's why I love him.

Good post vid.

Or has your account been haxored again :cry:

Ava Estelle
01-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Everyone knows that Washington is in N. America Does North America count as a continent in it's own right now? Why wasn't I told?

Btw, I'm taking your rather poor deflection as a 'no'. Don't worry, I'm sure your superiority complex will recover.

Skiz
01-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Does North America count as a continent in it's own right now? Why wasn't I told?

Pretty basic stuff. You weren't told in like 4th grade? :dabs:

MCHeshPants420
01-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Bloody 'merkins, so arrogant they name their continent after themselves.

Mr JP Fugley
01-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Does North America count as a continent in it's own right now? Why wasn't I told?

Btw, I'm taking your rather poor deflection as a 'no'. Don't worry, I'm sure your superiority complex will recover.

That's just rubbish, I remember you used to be OK at this sort of thing.

Awaits predictable Glasgow / Cardiff / Mafia set piece. Or possibly ... wait ... you haven't done Alcoholic and Heroin Addict for ages.

Ava < Billy. Fact

Ava Estelle
01-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Are you saying that North America is one of the world's SIX continents? Maybe you should have paid attention in the 4th grade!

That's just rubbish, I remember you used to be OK at this sort of thing.

Awaits predictable Glasgow / Cardiff / Mafia set piece. Or possibly ... wait ... you haven't done Alcoholic and Heroin Addict for ages.

You know what I like most about you? Of all the so-called christians on here, you're the one who wears their religion on their sleeve, you then go out of your way to be as un-christian as you can ... this really appeals to my anti-religious leanings, and my belief in the inherent hypocrisy of christians.

JP < Fugely < JPaul < Chip Monk < J'Pol. Fact.

Mr JP Fugley
01-20-2007, 01:38 PM
You know what I like most about you? Of all the so-called christians on here, you're the one who wears their religion on their sleeve, you then go out of your way to be as un-christian as you can ... this really appeals to my anti-religious leanings, and my belief in the inherent hypocrisy of christians.

JP < Fugely < JPaul < Chip Monk < J'Pol. Fact.

:lol:

That's even worse. FFS where's your spunk gone man. The best you can come up with is that me slagging off your crap patter is un-christian and demonstrates the hypocrisy of christianity.

Really, V Poor effort. You should be ashamed. You'll end up getting re-banned for being inane at this rate.

Ava Estelle
01-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Really, V Poor effort. You should be ashamed. You'll end up getting re-banned for being inane at this rate.

Is that the best you can do? Age hasn't been good to you JP. :lol:

Mr JP Fugley
01-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Is that the best you can do? Age hasn't been good to you JP. :lol:

I thought it was quite funny actually, particularly with me being in my dotage..

Ava Estelle
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
... particularly with me being in my dotage..

Is that how you categorise your stalking of me ... a foolish infatuation?

vidcc
01-20-2007, 03:53 PM
There appears to be some of the signs of madness on display in this thread

xlv3B1078PA

:shifty: ;)

Mr JP Fugley
01-20-2007, 04:08 PM
... particularly with me being in my dotage..

Is that how you categorise your stalking of me ... a foolish infatuation?

Stalking you, another classic.

If you didn't exist we'd have to make you.

Skiz
01-20-2007, 08:01 PM

Are you saying that North America is one of the world's SIX continents? Maybe you should have paid attention in the 4th grade!

Not at all. I'm saying it's one of SEVEN. :huh:

vidcc
01-20-2007, 08:19 PM

Not at all. I'm saying it's one of SEVEN. :huh:

How many continents are on the earth?
A continent is one of several major land masses on the earth. There is no standard definition for the number of continents but you'll commonly find that the numbers six or seven are used. By most standards, there are a maximum of seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America. Most students in the U.S. are taught that there are seven continents.

In Europe, many students are taught about six continents, where North and South America is combined to form a single America. Thus, these six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, and Europe.

Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (since they're one solid landmass). Thus, these six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia, Eurasia, North America, and South America.http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzcontinents.htm

bigboab
01-20-2007, 08:23 PM
I was just about to post something similar Vid.:)

Continents of the World
The Definition of a Continent
A continent is a large body of land, above water, that has a natural geological border.

How Many Continents Are There?
Depending on how you count them, there are anywhere from 4 to 7 continents. The difference of opinion arises because some people consider Europe and Asia to be one continent, some people consider North and South America to be one continent, and a few people even consider Europe, Asia, and Africa to be one huge continent called Eurafrasia.

What are the Names of the Continents?
As mentioned above, not everyone agrees on exactly how the world is divided into continents, but these are the entities you will sometimes see referred to as continents:

Africa (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/africa/)
Asia (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/asia/)
Eurasia (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/eurasia/)
Eurafrasia (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/eurafrasia/)
Antarctica (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/antarctica/)
Europe (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/europe/)
Oceania (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/oceania/)
Australia (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/oceania/)
America (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/america/)
North America (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/north-america/)
South America (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/south-america/)

http://www.countriesandcities.com/continents/

I suppose by this definition nobody is wrong.:)

MCHeshPants420
01-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Some people count it as the number of continents on a Risk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_%28game%29) board.

Mr JP Fugley
01-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Risk is a brilliant game.

I think that's all we need to help us decide.

Skiz
01-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't have 8 hours to spare. :(

Mr JP Fugley
01-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't have an attention span. :(

Fair do's.

Busyman™
01-22-2007, 05:19 AM

:glag:

Busyman™
01-22-2007, 05:29 AM
I was just about to post something similar Vid.:)

Continents of the World
The Definition of a Continent
A continent is a large body of land, above water, that has a natural geological border.

How Many Continents Are There?
Depending on how you count them, there are anywhere from 4 to 7 continents. The difference of opinion arises because some people consider Europe and Asia to be one continent, some people consider North and South America to be one continent, and a few people even consider Europe, Asia, and Africa to be one huge continent called Eurafrasia.

What are the Names of the Continents?
As mentioned above, not everyone agrees on exactly how the world is divided into continents, but these are the entities you will sometimes see referred to as continents:

Africa (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/africa/)
Asia (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/asia/)
Eurasia (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/eurasia/)
Eurafrasia (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/eurafrasia/)
Antarctica (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/antarctica/)
Europe (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/europe/)
Oceania (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/oceania/)
Australia (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/oceania/)
America (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/america/)
North America (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/north-america/)
South America (http://filesharingtalk.com/continents/south-america/)

http://www.countriesandcities.com/continents/

I suppose by this definition nobody is wrong.:)
I think it's ridiculous that Europe and Asia are considered separate continents. It has no basis besides some typa cultural crap.

I also think it's ridiculous that North and South America are considered by some to be one continent (America).

I always thought continents were large distinct land masses. North and South America are clearly distinct and Europe and Asia are not.

Busyman™
01-22-2007, 05:37 AM

Do consider Europe a separate continent from Asia?

It would be rather idiotic for you to say North and South America comprise one continent and then say Europe and Asia are separate.

Ava Estelle
01-22-2007, 07:07 AM

It would be rather idiotic for you to say North and South America comprise one continent and then say Europe and Asia are separate.

Once again busybody gets confused over what the poster says and what experts say. I am not responsible for naming continents, if you'd paid attention at school you would have known that. :lol:

Chip Monk
01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I am not responsible for naming continents, if you'd paid attention at school you would have known that. :lol:

It seems unlikely that they would have mentioned you specifically in his classes. Unless of course you are a famous Geographer :earl:.

To be fair you seem to have been everything else, including but not limited to a lesbian vegetarian. So I suppose it's possible.

MCHeshPants420
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
There's no definite answer to the continents question, I just read this which defends (from a geological point of view) Europe and Asia as being seperate and throws in India (I doubt Jade Goody will be happy at that) for good measure...

By the geologists' definition, Europe and Asia are separate continents since they have separate, distinct ancient shield areas and a distinct newer mobile belt (the Ural Mountains) forming the mutual margin. Also, India is a geological continent, as it contains a central shield, and the geologically recent Himalaya mobile belt forms its northern margin. North America and South America are separate continents, the connecting isthmus being largely the result of volcanism from relatively recent subduction tectonics. But the North American continent also includes Greenland, which is a portion of Canadian Shield, and the mobile belt forming its western margin includes the easternmost portion of the Asian land mass.

Anyhow, what do continents have to do with China winning the space-arms-race?

Barbarossa
01-22-2007, 12:52 PM
<< Insert incontinence joke here >>

Ava Estelle
01-22-2007, 01:09 PM
I am not responsible for naming continents, if you'd paid attention at school you would have known that. :lol:

It seems unlikely that they would have mentioned you specifically in his classes. Unless of course you are a famous Geographer :earl:.

To be fair you seem to have been everything else, including but not limited to a lesbian vegetarian. So I suppose it's possible.

Are you another JP, or just another troll, both maybe? Do you ever have anything constructive to say to anyone? I guess being a catholic you can just confess every now and then and feel good about yourself, however, to non-catholics you really are a bit of a dick.

Busyman
01-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Once again busybody gets confused over what the poster says and what experts say. I am not responsible for naming continents, if you'd paid attention at school you would have known that. :lol:

What's there to be confused about?

I simply asked you a question and made a statement.

I already know that people have different reasons for naming continents.

Busyman
01-22-2007, 02:26 PM
There's no definite answer to the continents question, I just read this which defends (from a geological point of view) Europe and Asia as being seperate and throws in India (I doubt Jade Goody will be happy at that) for good measure...

By the geologists' definition, Europe and Asia are separate continents since they have separate, distinct ancient shield areas and a distinct newer mobile belt (the Ural Mountains) forming the mutual margin. Also, India is a geological continent, as it contains a central shield, and the geologically recent Himalaya mobile belt forms its northern margin. North America and South America are separate continents, the connecting isthmus being largely the result of volcanism from relatively recent subduction tectonics. But the North American continent also includes Greenland, which is a portion of Canadian Shield, and the mobile belt forming its western margin includes the easternmost portion of the Asian land mass.

Anyhow, what do continents have to do with China winning the space-arms-race?

I'd have to answer, "Notadamnthing".

The reason above for naming continents is ridiculous. Why don't the "experts" just leave it at "an immense discrete land mass"?

Barbarossa
01-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I think it's ridiculous that Europe and Asia are considered separate continents. It has no basis besides some typa cultural crap.

By the geologists' definition, Europe and Asia are separate continents since they have separate, distinct ancient shield areas and a distinct newer mobile belt (the Ural Mountains) forming the mutual margin.

Proof you don't know what you're talking about. There is a geological basis.

bigboab
01-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I think this could go on and on.
:cry:

You could divide north America using the Rockies as an excuse.
You could divide South America using the Andes as an excuse.
You could divide Australia using Rikk.:wacko::)

Barbarossa
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM

Well, it's all to do with tectonic plates, innit :blink:

MCHeshPants420
01-22-2007, 03:21 PM

I don't think you could use the Rockies or Andes to be honest.

Geologists use the term continent in a different manner than geographers. Rather than simply identifying large land masses, geologists have distinct criteria for identifying continents. Continents are portions of the Earth's crust characterized by a stable platform of Precambrian metamorphic and igneous rock (typically 1.5 to 3.8 billion years old) largely of granitic composition, called the craton, and a central "shield" where the craton is exposed at the surface. The craton itself is an accretionary complex of ancient mobile belts (mountain belts) from earlier cycles of subduction, continental collision and break up from plate tectonic activity. An outward-thickening veneer of younger, minimally deformed sedimentary rock covers much of the rest of the craton. The margins of the continents are characterized by currently-active or relatively recently active mobile belts and/or deep troughs of accumulated marine or deltaic sediments. Beyond the margin, there is either a continental shelf and drop off to the basaltic-rock ocean basin or the margin of another continent, depending on the current plate-tectonic setting of the continent. A continental boundary does not have to be a body of water. Over geologic time, continents are periodically submerged under large epicontinental seas, and continental collisions result in a continent becoming attached to another continent. The current geologic era is relatively anomalous in that so much of the continental areas are "high and dry" compared to much of geologic history.

I'm undecided (or couldn't actually give a piss) though I can see there are plenty of valid arguments for 4, 5, 6, 7, 8+ continents in the world. Global warming will probably make things even more confused.

manker
01-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Feck, all this talk about continents cos Ava required it to be spelled out that Cardiff is on a different one to Washington.

Barbarossa
01-22-2007, 03:44 PM
<< insert another incontenance joke here >>

lynx
01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
What about Pluto? That's about the same size as America (North or South), and it is definitely a distinct land mass.

Mind you, it seems to have disappeared from the list.
Maybe someone's already shot it down.

Biggles
01-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Given the Continent concept probably originated in Europe and as they didn't know much of the rest of the world existed it is hardly surprising that at the Urals they simply put "beyond here be dragons".

The Panama canal surely makes N and S America two separate chaps - bit like a successful conjoined twins op.

The original premise seemed to be that Cardif was not a Continent - I took great comfort in this this as it meant that inter-stellar missiles could not be fired at cities only continents (apparently). :ermm:

Mr JP Fugley
01-22-2007, 06:58 PM

Are you another JP, or just another troll, both maybe? Do you ever have anything constructive to say to anyone? I guess being a catholic you can just confess every now and then and feel good about yourself, however, to non-catholics you really are a bit of a dick.

It's been really nice watching you turn back into Billy. Hadaway and ask them to change your name to BD or something, that would be dead cool like.

Busyman™
01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
By the geologists' definition, Europe and Asia are separate continents since they have separate, distinct ancient shield areas and a distinct newer mobile belt (the Ural Mountains) forming the mutual margin.

That's not proof. That's simply an excuse.

"Hey lets divide continents by mountain ranges. Yeah that's it."

Busyman™
01-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Feck, all this talk about continents cos Ava required it to be spelled out that Cardiff is on a different one to Washington.

:glag:

MCHeshPants420
01-23-2007, 01:09 AM

Though, if you read it properly, this particular geologist argument would be that you can't just define a continent by distinct land masses or divide them just by bodies of water. This geologist argument is certainly not as trivial as you attempt to make it out to be, nor does it just make that one point you put in quote marks. :dabs:

Busyman™
01-23-2007, 03:39 AM

Though, if you read it properly, this particular geologist argument would be that you can't just define a continent by distinct land masses or divide them just by bodies of water. This geologist argument is certainly not as trivial as you attempt to make it out to be, nor does it just make that one point you put in quote marks. :dabs:

Mmmk but there's a shitload of contiguous land attaching Europe and Asia.

Tectonic plate shifts and all o dat be damned. Africa and Asia as well as North America and South America touch by a cunt's hair yet (if I heard correctly) there were some that taught that America is one huge continent yet Europe and Asia are "separate".

The Fook?:blink:

Barbarossa
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
there were some that taught that America is one huge continent

Well, personally I don't agree with that either, on either a geological or a geographical basis. It's ridiculous.

However on the subject of europe and asia being separate continents you said it "has no basis besides some typa cultural crap", which isn't true.

Ava Estelle
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
It's been really nice watching you turn back into Billy. Hadaway and ask them to change your name to BD or something, that would be dead cool like.

It's been less than nice to watch you revert to the nasty vindictive piece of shit you always were .. haway the catholics! :lol:

Chip Monk
01-23-2007, 12:00 PM

It's been less than nice to watch you revert to the nasty vindictive piece of shit you always were .. haway the catholics! :lol:

How can you revert to something you always were. That doesn't even make any sense.

Ava Estelle
01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
How can you revert to something you always were. That doesn't even make any sense.

I'm sure you'll figure it out, ask the priest at your next confession. :hypocrite

Mr JP Fugley
01-23-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm sure you'll figure it out, ask the priest at your next confession. :hypocrite