PDA

View Full Version : First Person in U.S. Convicted for Spam E-mailing

Hairbautt
01-20-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.neowin.net/images/news/logos/spam.gifJeffery Goodin from Los Angeles is the first person in the U.S. to be criminally convicted of spam e-mailing. At 45 years of age, Goodin was found guilty of sending millions of e-mails that fooled users into giving out personal information. He was convicted under the 2003 CAN-SPAM Act, which makes it illegal for marketers to send out false or misleading information to users.

Goodin is being convicted of spam, and ten other counts that include wire fraud and unauthorized access to AOL accounts and company trademarks for illegal purposes. Prosecutors provided evidence to a jury that Goodin also compromised AOL accounts in order to make it appear as if the e-mails were being sent from AOL's billing department. The e-mails told users that if they did not update their information via a website, their accounts would be closed.

Jeffery Goodin is to be sentenced on June 11th of 2007 and faces up to 101 years in prison. Refresh my memory; how many years of jail-time does a murderer receive?

:source: Source: Neowin.Net (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37371)

jokzor
01-20-2007, 02:56 PM
great, honestly he should read spam messages till the very end of his life

BawA
01-20-2007, 06:16 PM
good for him

Shadowfire
01-20-2007, 08:47 PM
W00t. More spammers should be jailed like this.

UsenetGuy
01-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah if this happened more often, the world would be a beter place :P

Skiz
01-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Jeffery Goodin is to be sentenced on June 11th of 2007 and faces up to 101 years in prison. Refresh my memory; how many years of jail-time does a murderer receive?

How many college educations did he take? How many extra years are these victims going to have to work instead of retiring because of lost money?

You've obviously never been the victim of identity theft. :dry:

I hope this asshole gets what's coming to him.

deadondepartur
01-21-2007, 01:33 AM
I hope this is a sign of things to come. I mean, the world is truly a messed up place when people can become millionaires by sending completely unsolicited emails to people.

I don't necessarily want this guy to rot in jail for the rest of his live, but hopefully this will serve as a stern warning for other spammers out there.

Darth Sushi
01-21-2007, 01:43 AM
I hope he gets cornholed.

StickyFinger
01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
I hate spammers - he got what he deserved, may he rot in hell... :-(

mbucari1
01-25-2007, 07:11 AM
You know, this is all just a little too funny. You all are talking about setting a precedent for these spammers by sending this guy to jail in hopes that all future spammers will follow. However, in case you foregot, THIS IS A FILE SHARING FORUM!! Everyone here is pretty much doing the same exact thing. We are stealing by means of unethical internet use.
Don't be so quick to judge.

Skiz
01-25-2007, 07:18 AM
You know, this is all just a little too funny. You all are talking about setting a precedent for these spammers by sending this guy to jail in hopes that all future spammers will follow. However, in case you foregot, THIS IS A FILE SHARING FORUM!! Everyone here is pretty much doing the same exact thing. We are stealing from copyright owners by means of unethical internet use.
Don't be so quick to judge.

This isn't just spam. Advertising spam? No big deal; Delete it.

This guy was sending out millions of spam emails for the purposes of phishing. He was intentionally sending out emails looking like legitimate, well known companies such as banks, PayPal, etc.. He would take their information and then wipe out their bank accounts or sell it to someone else who would.

Far from the same as filesharing. :dabs:

spirex
01-25-2007, 12:02 PM
File sharing doesn't always have to involve copyrighted material.

kapowcowpwned
01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
just lol, thats all i can say