PDA

View Full Version : After building a PC how to tidy up cables

digmen1
01-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Guys

I have just finished building a new PC, (the second time I have done it)

It works, but it is a bit of mess inside.

I was wondering if you had any general ideas on how to tidy it up so it looks professional and I suppose also making for a clear air flow.

I suppose cable ties will help ?

If you use cable ties do you tie some cables to parts of the case ?

Is it a good idea to fold a long cable into a loop so it is not so long ?

Any other ideas or concepts woudl be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Digby
NZ

Mindfukced
01-20-2007, 09:47 PM
hi,

Firstly, well done on making the PC. There is nothing more rewarding than making your own PC.

yeah, you could use zip ties. I used to use them, I also used to zip tie them to the case.I now mostly just use rounded ide cables, so there isnt that much blocking airflow. Best thing I found for airlfow was rounded cables, and also correct positioning of fans. I used to love the overclocking stuff a few years ago, I remember I used take the fan off the heatsink, with a duct to a 120mm fan. Man, those were some noisy days...lol

A fan low down for intake, and one high up for extraction usually does help. Hot air rises, so the higher the outtake fan, the better the cooling.
Also, rather than using the normal thermal pad or paste on the CPU, I tended to use artic silver paste. This alone dropped quite a few degrees.

Zip ties work nice, rounded cables are good aswell. If your having cooling problems, I would consider the above, and also some proper thermal paste.

Peace,

Mindfukced

clocker
01-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Cabling a new PC is an artform.
Look here (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=791179) to get ideas.

Colt Seevers
01-20-2007, 11:10 PM

Some nice pics there. :)

We should do a show and tell thread..http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/meeting.gif. Often wondered what the innards of certain users PCs looked like...
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/2/salook.gif
*looks for digi cam*

tesco
01-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Look here (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=791179) to get ideas.Most of the pics there don't even work.:cry:

edit:: nvm didn't realize the thread goes all the way to 2007.

lynx
01-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Where possible, I like to run the power cables down the outside of the inner cage (down the RHS when looking from the front), then have them come back into the cage as near as possible to their destination.

I use some self adhesive velcro pads and velcro cable ties to keep them in place, and once the outer cover is on that side they are invisible. Any unused cables are also hidden away but are readily available if I add another component.

chip19
01-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I kind of gave up on the whole cable management thing when I got a new case without a window. It doesn't bother me that they are messy as hell since I don't see them (and airflow is not an issue since I use water cooling). I think organizing my cables would give even the pros trouble, since some of my components (specifically the case-door-mounted reservoir) require the power cable to go straight from the PSU to the component or else it won't reach it when the door is fully open.

S!X
01-21-2007, 05:54 PM

After looking through that thread, I wonder how it feels how have a nice sized case with room to work. I kinda feel like actually taking this whole comp apart and just running it without a case on a table or something lol :dabs:

clocker
01-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I wonder how it feels how have a nice sized case with room to work.
Quite pleasant actually.:whistling

digmen1
01-22-2007, 01:27 AM

After looking through that thread, I wonder how it feels how have a nice sized case with room to work. I kinda feel like actually taking this whole comp apart and just running it without a case on a table or something lol :dabs:

This post should be in the Humour section of this forum. Linkin Park I have not laughed so much for quite a while. Your comment just cracks me up, but its so true.

Some of those pc's are so empty of cabling that you would think the components were not even connected. One guy even makes his own cables to the correct length !

And Lynx, those were just the sort of tips I was looking for !

Regards

Digby

SpeakingSoul
01-22-2007, 01:49 AM
personally, my cables are always a bit of a mess. I just let it go now. I'm over the windowed cases.

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-22-2007, 02:05 AM
I have a windowed case with some snazzy blue lights in it to showcase my total lack of care and organization :cool: It kinda looks like a robot exploded in my case, very spaghetti like :lol:

Its funny, cuz that link that clocker gave, the first picture that you can see on page 1 is the exact case I have. Well, now at least i know what my pc COULD look like if I cared

S!X
01-22-2007, 03:04 AM
I wonder how it feels how have a nice sized case with room to work.
Quite pleasant actually.:whistling

When I get a new case and rig it nice and clean inside I'll post some pics so everyone but clocker can indulge in the clean-cable goodness :01:

I spent all day basically gutting my case once again and re-doing the cable work. This time around it turned out quite well, I've removed both of my optical drives because I don't use them and probably the main thing thats clogging up my case.

clocker
01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
And why don't I get to enjoy the pics?

chip19
01-22-2007, 08:47 PM
We should have a post-pics-of-your-computer thread. There are none stickied, but I think that would be a good idea. People just love to show off all their sick tech stuff...

S!X
01-22-2007, 10:35 PM
We should have a post-pics-of-your-computer thread. There are none stickied, but I think that would be a good idea. People just love to show off all their sick tech stuff...

That would be an excellent idea :D :01:

clocker
01-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Why don't you start it then?

MCHeshPants420
01-23-2007, 01:27 AM
I'd be in the running for the "most hideous wiring award", I have an Antec case with the PSU at the bottom with only a small hole to thread the wires through, the three case fan wires are all over the place and I have no side panel on at the moment so I can plug my PS2 drive into an IDE cable easily (the IDE cable hangs out on the floor when not plugged into the PS2 drive). I'm sure the cat plays with the wires when I'm not looking as well.

Edit: Oh, I use the side panel to take dirty cups/plates to the kitchen if that earns me any extra points.

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-23-2007, 02:32 AM
I'd be in the running for the "most hideous wiring award", I have an Antec case with the PSU at the bottom with only a small hole to thread the wires through, the three case fan wires are all over the place and I have no side panel on at the moment so I can plug my PS2 into an IDE cable easily (the IDE cable hangs out on the floor when not plugged into the PS2 drive). I'm sure the cat plays with the wires when I'm not looking as well.

Edit: Oh, I use the side panel to take dirty cups/plates to the kitchen if that earns me any extra points.

:lol: I actually spit beer when i read the last sentence in your post.

unholyman
01-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Lol,if you do not completely cover up your casing,the parts in it will die a early death due to the dust entering

Chewie
01-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Lol,if you do not completely cover up your casing,the parts in it will die a early death due to the dust entering
What?
How would cool air get in, then?

suprafreak6
01-29-2007, 11:01 PM
yeah my case has air filters (im so cool :lol:) anyways my case has like latches in the case that hold the wires in certain spots...so it stays in one particular region...quite nice...plus the combo of rounded ide cables...its good

Duffman
01-31-2007, 07:22 AM
if your willing to go a little far you can actually cut off the wires on the psu you aren't using. I may sound weird, but if you leave about 1/2 an inch you can always reattach the cables you cut off. Getting rid of the floppy connectors, and one or two of the regular molex's, even the connectors that a specific the processor you don't have can save space.

Shiranai_Baka
01-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Or you could just get a modular power supply? They are pretty cheap now a days.

digmen1
02-01-2007, 06:41 AM
if your willing to go a little far you can actually cut off the wires on the psu you aren't using. I may sound weird, but if you leave about 1/2 an inch you can always reattach the cables you cut off. Getting rid of the floppy connectors, and one or two of the regular molex's, even the connectors that a specific the processor you don't have can save space.

Whats a regular molex ?

Yes cutting all those PSU cables would save a lot of space, but it does sound drastic !

Regards

Digby

S!X
02-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Yes cutting all those PSU cables would save a lot of space, but it does sound drastic !

Digmen i'm curious to see the inside of your rig, mind posting some pics?

digmen1
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Why - its nothing special ?

But as you have been so helpful and because this thread was started by me I will do so on the weekend.

It will be a sort of before and after if you get what I mean.

Regards

Digby

suprafreak6
02-01-2007, 09:38 PM
yeah i wouldnt cut the wires...live circuits by the mother board is not a good idea...hey lets throw some water in there too...modular powersupplies are nice...im saving up to get one

Colt Seevers
02-01-2007, 10:12 PM

But as you have been so helpful and because this thread was started by me I will do so on the weekend.

Regards

Digby

Hey Digby if your gonna post pics then can you possibly post a copy on this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/hardware/t-post-your-pc-pics-151442/page6) thread :)

Cheers! :)

Ratzy Rox
02-02-2007, 12:38 AM
I just used selotape *shrugs*

Its cheap, easy and has the same effect on airflow that cableties or whatever would.

lynx
02-02-2007, 01:19 AM
I just used selotape *shrugs*

Its cheap, easy and has the same effect on airflow that cableties or whatever would.Nothing wrong with that if you never intend to dismantle the system.

Problem is, you can't tell in advance that you won't need to dismantle it, and then you've got to try and sort out the sticky goo where it's been stuck to the wires, and the dust that's been stuck in all the exposed adhesive.

When you consider that even in small quantities cable ties only cost a few pennies each, I don't think the potential problems of adhesive tape are worthwhile.

Still, whatever rocks your boat.

digmen1
02-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Hi Guys

Here's a pic of my new PC.

I must admit its just the first pics as all I have done is get the thing going ! So I just plugged all the cables in and this is the resultant mess.

But now I am encouraged to try to tidy it up a bit. I have already bought 2 right angled Sata cables for my hard drives, these will not touch the case side and are a bit shorter.

As you will see from the close up of the hard drive cage the design of the cage means the rear of the hard drives stick out quite a bit and the cables cannot help but touch the case side and get bent a bit which I do not like.

I will post some "after" pics soon when I have done a bit of tidying up and will post pics with a higher res, I have never posted any pics before.

My PC is

Thermaltake Aguilla Case
Thermaltake 430 psu
MSI K9NGM
AMD Athlon 64 3800
Creative Audigy Card
Card Reader
Lite-on DVD combo drive
Seagate 80 gig Sata Drive
Seagate 160 gig Sata Drive

I have a graphics card but I have not installed it yet as I am testing my PC's performance with Photoshop without the card and with the card.

Regards

Digby

digmen1
02-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi Guys

As I mentioned above I am now going to try to tidy up my PC.

I like the idea of using cable ties and I plan to tie some of my cables to the motherboard plate.

But after a quick look there are some holes I could use for the cable ties to go through but I have worked out that I will need two holes for each cable tie.

So I will have to get my electric drill out and drill a few more holes.

Is this the thing to do ? I am a bit worried about drilling with my motherboard installed.

Regards

Digby
NZ

digmen1
02-02-2007, 07:16 AM

Regards

Digby

Hey Digby if your gonna post pics then can you possibly post a copy on this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/hardware/t-post-your-pc-pics-151442/page6) thread :)

Cheers! :)

I will do this, but when I tried it said I had already posted this thread and these pics !

So I will try tomorrow

Regards

Digby

S!X
02-02-2007, 09:12 AM
What you could do is tape some, if not most of the cables to the back of your cases motherboard plate with some small pieces of electrical tape. I wouldn't recommend using duct tape cause it gets really sticky after awhile, a lot more then electrical tape does. Here's a pic of what I mean http://www.ballpointpress.com/unicron/02012007/open-case2.jpg

Virtualbody1234
02-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Don't drill while the motherboard is installed!!!!!

The tiny metal fragments can cause a short!

I would even suggest that drilling for the Ty-raps is a bad idea.

Get some of these: http://tnbsun4.tnb.com:8080/wcat_images/publish/tyrap/tyrcabletiemountingbasesty-rapmountingbases_tc5344a_3.gif or http://voks.kropka.by/images_my/wapro/plastik/obr_17.jpg

digmen1
02-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Don't drill while the motherboard is installed!!!!!

The tiny metal fragments can cause a short!

I would even suggest that drilling for the Ty-raps is a bad idea.

Get some of these: http://tnbsun4.tnb.com:8080/wcat_images/publish/tyrap/tyrcabletiemountingbasesty-rapmountingbases_tc5344a_3.gif or http://voks.kropka.by/images_my/wapro/plastik/obr_17.jpg

Thanks for that !

Good idea, I will get some of those cable tie mounts.

Regards

Digby

suprafreak6
02-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi Guys

Here's a pic of my new PC.

I must admit its just the first pics as all I have done is get the thing going ! So I just plugged all the cables in and this is the resultant mess.

But now I am encouraged to try to tidy it up a bit. I have already bought 2 right angled Sata cables for my hard drives, these will not touch the case side and are a bit shorter.

As you will see from the close up of the hard drive cage the design of the cage means the rear of the hard drives stick out quite a bit and the cables cannot help but touch the case side and get bent a bit which I do not like.

I will post some "after" pics soon when I have done a bit of tidying up and will post pics with a higher res, I have never posted any pics before.

My PC is

Thermaltake Aguilla Case
Thermaltake 430 psu
MSI K9NGM
AMD Athlon 64 3800
Creative Audigy Card
Card Reader
Lite-on DVD combo drive
Seagate 80 gig Sata Drive
Seagate 160 gig Sata Drive

I have a graphics card but I have not installed it yet as I am testing my PC's performance with Photoshop without the card and with the card.

Regards

Digby
thats just gross digby...

digmen1
02-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I have now started tidying up my cables using some of the techniques mentioned on this thread.

The biggest nuisance to tidying up my case seems to be the myraid power supply leads from my Thermaltake PSU. Half of which I will never use !

Aside from cutting some of them off (as one poster suggested) what else can I do ?

I am thinking of tying a few of them back over each other with a rubber band or cable tie.

Any comments ?

regards

Digby

Virtualbody1234
02-05-2007, 11:05 PM
I have now started tidying up my cables using some of the techniques mentioned on this thread.

The biggest nuisance to tidying up my case seems to be the myraid power supply leads from my Thermaltake PSU. Half of which I will never use !

Aside from cutting some of them off (as one poster suggested) what else can I do ?

I am thinking of tying a few of them back over each other with a rubber band or cable tie.

Any comments ?

regards

Digby

Avoid rubber bands. They don't do well over time. It's better to use cable ties.

Run all the cables that you don't use to behind the PSU and fold them there and use cable ties to secure them out of the way.

suprafreak6
02-06-2007, 01:08 AM
shit thats what that extra gap is for?...damnit...ill open up my new case and do it...then take some pics...everything else of mine is good...i got the ide cable for my harddrive doing this squiggle over one of the racks...its nicee

Duffman
02-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I tried one of those cable sleeving kits once... there cheap on newegg, like 10 bucks. But if your not gonna spend another 5 or so and get the tool to take off the molex's, don't bother. I didn't and it was just one huge frustrating mess. When you do take the time with those kits the results are very nice though...

digmen1
02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
HI Guys

Please !

What is a molex ?

Regards

Digby

digmen1
02-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I just looked up Molex on Wikepedia.

Its your old girlfriend !

No really, they are the white plastic connector plugs that connect your power supply to hard drives and CD Roms etc.

The company was started in 1938 and has sales of 2 billion dollars.

Yes I see what you guys mean, if you have less of these in your PC it would sure make it tidier.

Those modular power supplies look good. I must get one sometime. But it will have to be a quiet one !

Regards

Digby

S!X
02-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Those modular power supplies look good. I must get one sometime. But it will have to be a quiet one !

Go with one of those corsair modular psu's, clocker has experience with em and apparently their quite nice. You could also try the OCZ modstream which I have it's very quiet and reliable.