PDA

View Full Version : soundmax digital audio problem

popwar
01-25-2007, 02:37 AM
I have Intel 82801 BA/BAM Ac'97 onboard digital sound, when i update it, it updates it to SOUNDMax Digital Audio but when i record with the update it sounds like im underwater or sumtn. if i dont update its fine. i attached a short clip to let u listen.

S!X
01-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Have you tried updating it with the correct drivers? Soundmax drivers obviously aren't the proper one for it.

peat moss
01-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Look how many their are did you get it from the Intel site ?

http://www.softlookup.com/driveauthor.asp?id=2251

popwar
01-25-2007, 03:02 PM
no i got it from windows update

popwar
01-25-2007, 03:13 PM
intel doesnt find no search for 82801 BA/BAM AC'97 . :/

lynx
01-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Try http://www.driverguide.com/, they've got 2 marked specifically for Windows XP, one marked "all Windows 2000" which may also work with XP, and 3 marked win95/98 which almost certainly won't work for you.

Requires free registration which is why I can't supply a direct link.

Once registered, simply select sound cards, select manufacturer=intel, search for 82801ba.

popwar
01-25-2007, 05:31 PM
im already registered for that site. i actually downloaded a driver from there earlier. i think it fixed my sound too but instead of the sayn Intel 82801BA/BAM ac'97 audio controller in my device manager it says Avance AC'97 Audio.

lynx
01-26-2007, 01:45 AM
That's probably because Avance made a lot of boards using various audio chips, and seem to have sorted out most of the problems with the drivers. The name is simply a field in the .inf file.

In comparison, the chip makers seem to wash their hands of the difficulties, laying any blame for problems at the door of the board makers. Intel aren't alone in taking this course.

unholyman
01-27-2007, 10:09 AM
If i am not mistaken,intel does not make audio controllers. Try not to use the drivers from windows update,cos they are generic drivers

lynx
01-27-2007, 10:44 AM
If i am not mistaken,intel does not make audio controllers. Try not to use the drivers from windows update,cos they are generic driversIntel embed audio controllers into their southbridge chips, just like most other chipset manufacturers, whether they actually design that part of the chip themselves or not, but since they sell the chips to board manufacturers they rely on the board manufacturers to provide drivers. Finding the drivers from the motherboard makers might be an alternative solution.

I take your point about windows update, although it is not entirely accurate. Generic drivers are only provided if there no driver is available for a specific release of a controller.

Worse still, it is not unknown for Windows Update to provide out of date drivers. One instance I remember from last year is that they had mis-numbered the version of a driver. The manufacturer released a new version, 1.42. Windows Update offered version 1.34, at least 2 years out of date and full of bugs, but they had misnumbered it as version 1.43; the numbers may be wrong but you get the general idea.

unholyman
01-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, point taken,always thought that the AC 97 codec on the motherboard was doing the job

peat moss
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
intel doesnt find no search for 82801 BA/BAM AC'97 . :/

What you mean Willis it was in my link top left ? :huh:

popwar
01-31-2007, 06:34 PM
it just gives me a list doesnt let me click

Appzalien
02-01-2007, 07:14 PM
If I were you I wouldn't trust the Microsoft update site to find drivers for your motherboard or any other hardware. I once made the mistake of downloading C-Media drivers for my sound, cause the update site said I needed them, but unfortunately my motherboard sound was nVidia Sound storm OOPs!. It really screwed up my PC. The best way to find drivers for onboard sound is from the mobo manufacturers site. Even the AC'97 site may not have exactly the right thing, often motherboard manufacturers tweak their drivers for their boards to address crosstalk and noise issues.