PDA

View Full Version : Privacy

chip19
01-25-2007, 03:13 AM
So I just tried out Newgroups for the first time today. I am using my ISP's newgroup server (Comcast). I must say my first impression is pretty good. Binsearch makes everything very easy (easier than it must have been before the NZB's). Anyway, my one concern is privacy. If I am pirating movies using my Comcast username on my Comcast newsgroup server, can't they find out what I'm doing? I've stopped downloading anything at the moment, because frankly I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff. :cry: Is there anything I can do about this?

thedude0
01-25-2007, 08:33 AM
if they would bust their users for downloading they wouldn't have newsgroup servers

MultiForce
01-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think you have to bother unless you upload. Shouldn't be any difference between an ISP and a usenetprovider. I've downloaded 200GB - 500GB each month for the last year and never heard anything. Nothing about my few uploads either.

chip19
01-25-2007, 05:07 PM
OK, I guess that's all the reassurance I need! Thanks for the responses :)

asfdlq3i45poi
01-25-2007, 08:38 PM
If you use a news server with SSL encryption, your ISP will not be able to see what you download, no?

geen
01-26-2007, 07:21 PM
If you use a news server with SSL encryption, your ISP will not be able to see what you download, no?

yup, your traffic will be encrypted between your pc and their's. Only you and the reciever know the code to decrypt the information.

namzuf9
01-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I think in this situation it would be your ISP that is in the wrong as they are the ones hosting what you download!:lol:

geen
01-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I think in this situation it would be your ISP that is in the wrong as they are the ones hosting what you download!:lol:

He didnt say he used his isp's service, havent tought about that situation really.