PDA

View Full Version : question from a noob

shosh
01-27-2007, 06:53 PM
why do you guys prefer newsgroups over bittorrent. im an avid bittorrenter and dont understand how nzb work. from what i understand you have to pay money to these sites. im sure that you can get the same content from torrents without the cost. so why do you guys use this?

Skiz
01-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Some sites are free and some charge $10-15 in monthly fees.

Utilizing newsgroups allows you to 100% maximize your bandwidth and you don't have to "seed" back. No uploading at all.

geen
01-27-2007, 08:54 PM
yep, for 25$ a month you get maximum bandwith + 90 days retention over terrabytes of data. No privacy issues no waittimes, no need to upload ... uhhhh ...

Skiz
01-27-2007, 09:33 PM
yep, for 25$ a month you get maximum bandwith + 90 days retention over terrabytes of data. No privacy issues no waittimes, no need to upload ... uhhhh ...

...and no worries.

invivo
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
why do you guys prefer newsgroups over bittorrent. im an avid bittorrenter and dont understand how nzb work. from what i understand you have to pay money to these sites. im sure that you can get the same content from torrents without the cost. so why do you guys use this?

Newsgroups are great for reasons already mentioned. NZBs are very easy to use. After you find what you're looking for, download the NZB (it's essentially a list of files and where they are on the newsgroups), and usually it's opened automatically by your newsreader. You can add it to your queue and start downloading immediately... really nothing to it.

geen
01-27-2007, 09:56 PM
...and no worries.

Dont tell them about incomplete files ;)

Prevision
01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
And depending on your ISP you might have access to newsgroups already for free (quality will vary by ISP). Search your ISP's support section.

erRor67
01-27-2007, 11:57 PM
1. Super fast. You will always max out your connection speeds.
2. No waiting. Your downloads will start right away at full speed.
3. No need to upload anything. You can if you want but its totally not nessessary.
4. Secure. No need to worry about the RIAA/MPAA.
5. Encryption. (Some providers like Giganews and Usenetserver encrypt the connection)

The price is about ten to fifteen dollars per month. Of course, different usenet providers have different prices.

geen
01-28-2007, 12:12 AM
we should make a complete list altough someone posted a link comparing usenet to torrents which i havent visited. Could be usefull for all the torrent users who are thinking about switching to usenet.

MultiForce
01-28-2007, 12:21 AM
we should make a complete list altough someone posted a link comparing usenet to torrents which i havent visited. Could be usefull for all the torrent users who are thinking about switching to usenet.

I read this article a couple of weeks ago. I think it says it all:

http://www.slyck.com/story1376.html

stephenchow
01-28-2007, 02:59 AM

1. NZB is a file that stores infomation of something on UseNet, just similar to torrent files.
2. Newsgroups is always the fastest way to download (BitTorrent not always)
3. You don't worry about your ratio (don't like private trackers)
4. We pay for it because it deserves more than it worths, just a little bit money.
5. Public trackers are slow as sh*t, private trackers are good but we don't have invite to signup.
6. Using BitTorrent means take more risk than UseNet because MPAA can be one of seeders or leecher (even private trackers) and see who and which IP address leeching illegal stuff, when they know IP, they know something like your city you're living and ur ISP and forced ISP(ISP don't want to be suied) to give them information about you
7. Posting on Usenet is almost annoymous (usenet providers never giving infomation who uploaded, so noone get caught).
8. ...
9. ...
:wacko: