PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this?

Buffalo
01-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Redten Internet
8Mb unlimited broadband and an LG-branded PC worth over £500
http://www.redteninternet.com/index.html

Free PC with a 3 year contract with them, start price @ £19.99 a month, that’s £10 cheaper than I'm paying at the mo.
(small print) "fair use" for the 8MB connection, but that only applies from 6pm till 11PM, and as I do most of my downloading late at night that would not be a problem.
This sounds a good offer and I'm quite interested.
It's odd why they are giving a free Pc in the offer, like I say, I'm paying £30 a month for my 8MB connection at the mo.
I can change as my contract ended in october 2006.
I'm still looking into it, got to read all the small print that I can find.

Interesting Deal is it not?

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Rough PC specs Baz.

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
I've had a look myself, mate.

It looks a good deal to me.

Shall look further.

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 09:58 PM
1st thing, I would check if you can upgrade the PC. 3 years is a long time in technology. However if you only used it as interweb access that might not be an issue.

Buffalo
01-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I've never heard of LG computers before, I'm a bit unsure. but it would be a good backup PC, that's something I don't have at the mo, and the £19.99 is a good price I guess, much cheaper than what I'm on at the mo.

Quote:
At the end of the three year contract you have two choices: to walk away, or to continue using Redten Internet. If you choose the latter option, we’ll reward you for your loyalty by giving you another computer worth over £500. This second free computer will be completely up to date and, featuring all the latest hardware and software you’d expect of a new computer, will ensure you can enjoy all the latest PC and internet developments and don’t fall behind.

Looks like they want to keep customers with them.

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 10:01 PM
2nd there appears to be a £50 setup, but that's fuck all.

Still looks good.

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I've never heard of LG computers before, I'm a bit unsure. but it would be a good backup PC, that's something I don't have at the mo, and the £19.99 is a good price I guess, much cheaper than what I'm on at the mo.

Quote:
At the end of the three year contract you have two choices: to walk away, or to continue using Redten Internet. If you choose the latter option, we’ll reward you for your loyalty by giving you another computer worth over £500. This second free computer will be completely up to date and, featuring all the latest hardware and software you’d expect of a new computer, will ensure you can enjoy all the latest PC and internet developments and don’t fall behind.

Looks like they want to keep customers with them.

LG is a big name in electronic, I wouldn't worry about that. I was more concerned if it was an e-Machines or something.

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
It's BT broadband, so it won't be folding and tech support should be OK.

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Full 3 year warranty and tech support also good, even tho' I know you know a lot about computers and stuff.

Buffalo
01-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Quote:
It’s only by teaming up with BT, Microsoft, Intel and LG that this offer has been made possible

And it has Vista installed, Ummmmm, I've just check availability for me and it's a Green light, Go-go-go!
Will sleep on it and make the decision tomorrow morning

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 10:09 PM
The only thing I can think of is if they haven't got the business model right (e.g. original freeview). However worst case scenario you need to get a new provider. Best case, if they fold, you get a free PC.

Buffalo
01-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I need to change My ISP; been with AOL for 5 years :fist:
this so far has been the best deal I can find.
And I’m in need of a second PC as some of the work I do tops out the one I’m using at the mo, and whilst it's running heavy programs I can't get on with other stuff that's piled up, yet it's a 2.8 with a Gb of ram.
It will give me chance to do more work at a quicker pace.
And with cheaper broadband as well, sounds the right deal for me.

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Sounds like an ideal idea to me, Baz.

I'd go with it.

100%
01-28-2007, 10:44 PM
LG are very good with cooling their laptops, and have good reviews

Buffalo
01-30-2007, 01:11 AM
All sorted,
I should be on RedTen on the 11th of Feb.
Had a most annoying phone call with my ISP, they were trying there best to keep me with them, but the best offer was £25 a month and yet another free speedtouch router, I've been with them since 2001.
I kept telling him it's no good making me an offer as I've already sorted a new ISP, I should get my MAC code in the next 48 hours.
The RedTen sign up is a credit agreement, and being with them will save me £120 per year.

bunny67
01-30-2007, 01:55 AM
sounds good ,atm i pay £17.99 10meg a month on ntl but looking to change as im only getting it at that price till end of march

Buffalo
02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
:bounce:

I've paid my £50 and should be on with Redten on the 11th Feb, But
just seen this http://www.redteninternet.com/ :lol:

wtf is going on! and will I get my new PC :unsure:

100%
02-08-2007, 06:17 PM
typical :'(

GepperRankins
02-08-2007, 06:22 PM
put bittorrent on the other machine and keep your main PC for everything else :smilie4:

Gripper
02-08-2007, 07:05 PM
If you signed up before they stuck up the suspension you should be ok,let us know.

Buffalo
02-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm now connected on Redten with a Non proxy Ip....... at last! :)
and it's nice to be able to log into FST as I've been having problems over the last two weeks, I think it was AOL and its proxy ip's and I think FST is blocking proxies due to sever abuse, but i'm unsure on that.
will be interesting to find out how many jumps it now takes to get to the FST server.

DSL speed results @ 14:00GMT:
AOL = 5.82Mbps - Redten = 7.81Mbps
AOL = 6.25Mbps - Redten = 7.81Mbps
AOL = 6.79Mbps - Redten = 6.86Mbps

So far, I'm happy with the change.
As for the free PC, I'm told there will be a delay, but I will recive it when ready...... it's Looking good :)

will keep you posted.

Buffalo
02-15-2007, 11:58 PM
:bounce:

O dear!

Short lived............ :fist:

My DSL connection died @ 13:00GMT today

I have two routers, one for backup, they will not connect.
BT DSL line test 100% ok via 10.0.0.138
BT phone line test via op 100% ok

So this is a password issue :yes:

Redten Tech could not re-set my password as he did not have the software installed on his workstation to do such a task :fist:
I am left with no connection.

Redten Op's dept are offline till Monday as they have phone line problems :fist:

V12 finance:
I have cancelled my application with Redten within the allowed 14 day period.
V12 Finance told me they are not taking anymore applications from Redten communications because of they have no computers to give out on the free offer.

At the mo I'm stuck on dialup via a non Redten company :lol:
Nice......... not been on that for some time, But at least I'm on the interweb.

All I need now is my MAC but this may take some time

It's odd why the Redten tech wanted me to do some strange stuff on my Pc, like system restore, I never use system restore because if you get a virus it will hang in such a place.
Turn off my AVG & Sygate :fist:

:lol:

If you have a router...... it's a router,
it's got nothing to do with a computer :twat:
the router connects to the web, you know....... Green lights and stuff.

What a day! ..............
but at the end on the day......... if you can just keep that smile :)
all is not lost.

Seedler
02-16-2007, 03:01 AM
I'm thinking of switching to bell...from my cable company.

So basically ditching cable for DSL...:unsure:

Mathea
02-16-2007, 05:48 AM
find a way to steal internet its better and cheaper

Buffalo
02-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I would like to Mathea.... but knowing my luck :lol:

Watford Electronics folds as debts approach £8m
Smith & Williamson was appointed as administrator
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/crn/news/2174621/struggling-watford-folds-debts

In October Watford, which is managed by Shiraz Jessa, partnered with Microsoft, Intel, LG and BT Wholesale to launch what it claimed was the UK’s first out-of-the-box broadband and PC package, Redten Internet.

Will I get my MAC code back :unsure: it's not looking good,
All phone lines are dead, the only one up is tech and they can't help me :lol:

This is a damn mess, it's a good job I could sort dialup for the time being.