PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Sam spoils dream trip to space

vidcc
01-29-2007, 05:07 AM
Getting lucky in the USA is costly, never enter a competition unless you could afford to buy the prize in the first place :frusty:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Brian Emmett's childhood fantasy came true when he won a free trip to outer space.

But the 31-year-old was crushed when he had to cancel his reservation because of Uncle Sam.

Emmett won his ticket to the stars in a 2005 sweepstakes by Oracle Corp., in which he answered a series of online questions on Java computer code.

He became an instant celebrity, giving media interviews and appearing on stage at Oracle's trade show.

For the self-described space buff who has attended space camp and watched shuttle launches from Kennedy Space Center, it seemed like a chance to become an astronaut on a dime.

Then reality hit. After some number-crunching, Emmett realized he would have to report the $138,000 galactic joy ride as income and owe $25,000 in taxes.

Unwilling to sink into debt, the software consultant from the San Francisco Bay area gave up his seat.

"There was definitely a period of mourning. I was totally crestfallen," Emmett said. "Everything you had hoped for as a kid sort of evaporates in front of you."

With commercial spaceships still under development, it's uncertain when the infant space tourism industry will actually get off the ground.

Still, ultra-rich thrill-seekers are already plunking down big -- though refundable -- deposits to experience a few minutes of weightlessness 60 miles above Earth.
A visit to the stars for a black hole in the wallet

And in recent years, space tourism companies have teamed with major corporations to stage contests with future suborbital spaceflights as the grand prize.

The partnerships have interstellar hype -- but as Emmett found out, they can get mired in that most earthbound hassle: taxes.

"From a consumer perspective ... I'd be wary," said Kathleen Allen, director of the University of Southern California's Marshall Center for Technology Commercialization. "I'd check to see the fine print."

Since the Internal Revenue Service requires winnings from lottery drawings, TV game shows and other contests to be reported as taxable income, tax experts contend there's no such thing as a free spaceflight. Some contest sponsors provide a check to cover taxes, but that income is also taxable.

"I don't see how an average person can swing that kind of tax payment. It's a big, big bite," said tax attorney Donna LeValley, contributing editor for J.K. Lasser's annual tax guide.

To reduce the financial burden, winners can argue that they don't owe any taxes until their flight lifts off. Another option is working out an installment plan to pay taxes over time, said Greg Jenner of the American Bar Association.

The IRS declined to comment, saying it does not talk about individual matters.

Despite Emmett's cancellation, Oracle said its contest was a success. The software giant is in the process of naming his replacement and still has two other winners on board from Asia and Europe.

That spaceflight will be provided by Space Adventures Ltd., the same company that brokers deals for trips on Russian rockets to the orbiting international space station for a reported $20 million per customer.

Eric Anderson, the company's chief executive, insists that contests are the best way for most people to get into space. He said Space Adventures has given away about 20 reservations through competitions, and the majority of winners are satisfied.full story (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/01/28/free.ride.ap/index.html)

Ava Estelle
01-29-2007, 06:02 AM
The same thing happened with audience members of the Oprah Winfrey show who were given cars, they each had to pay the IRS thousands of dollars for them.

The most trajic case was when she tried to give a desperately poor woman a house and furniture for her and her kids, the IRS insisted on tens of thousands of dollars tax, and said that if anyone paid the tax the woman would be liable for that too.

Busyman™
01-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Uhhhhh so what?

This is not new.

HGTV gives away a dream house every year. Almost no one can afford to keep the house due to the taxes.

Again, this is not new. This is not even news.:ermm:

Barbarossa
01-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Is it just the U.S. that has these laws, or is this the case in the U.K. as well?

For example, do the winners on Deal or No Deal have to pay taxes on their winnings?

I honestly don't know.

Busyman™
01-29-2007, 11:08 AM
The same thing happened with audience members of the Oprah Winfrey show who were given cars, they each had to pay the IRS thousands of dollars for them.

The most trajic case was when she tried to give a desperately poor woman a house and furniture for her and her kids, the IRS insisted on tens of thousands of dollars tax, and said that if anyone paid the tax the woman would be liable for that too.

I wonder what happens with Extreme Makeover: Home Edition?

Also if I was given a car and told I had to pay the tax on it, so be it. Those Pontiacs Oprah gave away probably only had about $2000 of tax on it.

Busyman™
01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Is it just the U.S. that has these laws, or is this the case in the U.K. as well?

For example, do the winners on Deal or No Deal have to pay taxes on their winnings?

I honestly don't know.

I would just be surprised if someone thinks this is new here. I thought everyone knew that if you hit the lottery that gubment would gut your winnings.

Hell our Powerball was at $250 mil (Beckham's entire contract) the other day but I'm sure no one thinks that if they win, they keep all of it.:ermm:

Barbarossa
01-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Just done some research, and it seems that our National Lottery is exempt from Capital Gains Tax, as are the Football Pools, Premium Bonds, and betting in general, really.

So I'm assuming TV gameshow winnings are too :unsure:

Barbarossa
01-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Back on topic, if someone offered me a trip to space for $25,000 there is no way in the world I would turn it down.

You could sell your story to the newspapers for 10 times that amount. At least.

You could also get sponsorship from companies, and advertising, you'd be famous ffs. You could make millions from it.

That guy is a complete fool :no:

Ava Estelle
01-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Also if I was given a car and told I had to pay the tax on it, so be it. Those Pontiacs Oprah gave away probably only had about $2000 of tax on it.

It had nothing to do with the car, it counted as income, and the amount payable was dependent on their tax bracket and how much they had earned in that financial year. For some it was over $7,000.

manker
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Just done some research, and it seems that our National Lottery is exempt from Capital Gains Tax, as are the Football Pools, Premium Bonds, and betting in general, really.

So I'm assuming TV gameshow winnings are too :unsure:
Yep, that's right. In the UK there isn't any tax on winnings. Unless youre a bookmaker.

From what I remember, there used to be a system in the UK where 10% tax was paid on either the stake (before the outcome was known) or the winings. If you didn't pay tax on the stake and didn't win, you weren't liable for it retrospectively. I think it must have been the Labour government who did away with that when they got into power in 1997, it seems like something they would do.

I think US citizens get a rough deal in this because taxation on winnings is essentially an extra tax on the poor.

Chip Monk
01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
The 10% was for off-course betting and it was the labours who removed it.

There were exemptions tho', if memory serves if you bet a pool (1st and 2nd dog) then there was no tax.

Barbarossa
01-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Winning prizes goes against the American Dream.

vidcc
01-29-2007, 03:08 PM
I meant to post this with the original thread starter but got distracted.

I think this is a tax that should be abolished. If it's a competition open to all then there should be no tax. I've always been against things like the lottery winning tax especially, because the ticket is a tax (albeit a voluntary one). The ticket is a tax, you pay about half of your winnings in tax and if you take it in a lump sum instead of payments over 30 years you get a reduced payout.

On the "dream houses" I believe that now the TV company or one of the sponsors is giving money to cover the taxes after a few people got into financial difficulty, that said it's still a shameful tax.

never enter a competition unless you could afford to buy the prize in the first place

Mr JP Fugley
01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Lottery winnings are not taxed in the UK. The winnings are all paid to the .... winner.

Mr JP Fugley
01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
I think that's because a proportion of the stake money is paid to them. Similar to the way manker described earlier re betting tax.

So the stake is taxed, reducing the prize pool, so no tax on payouts.

P'raps in the US they don't get anything when tickets are purchased, but get it from the winner. It would be really arse if they got both.

osakamitsu
02-07-2007, 02:37 AM
thats screwed up. Buts its true he could have been rich off of this. Theres no way i would turn a trip into space down either.

j2k4
02-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Just to complete the story...

Man Gets Second Chance at Space Ride

By ALICIA CHANG
The Associated Press
Wednesday, February 7, 2007; 1:19 PM

LOS ANGELES -- A man who gave up a free space ride because he couldn't afford the taxes on the contest prize may be going to the cosmos after all.

Brian Emmett, a 31-year-old software consultant from the Silicon Valley town of Mountain View, has signed on to become a consultant to a space tourism upstart in exchange for a chance to experience weightlessness some 60 miles above Earth.

Brian Emmett, a 31-year-old software consultant, is shown in San Francisco, Jan. 23, 2007. Emmett, a man who gave up a free space ride because he couldn't afford the taxes on the contest prize, may be going to the cosmos after all. Emmett has signed on to become a consultant to a space tourism upstart in exchange for a chance to experience weightlessness some 60 miles above Earth.

Brian Emmett, a 31-year-old software consultant, is shown in San Francisco, Jan. 23, 2007. Emmett, a man who gave up a free space ride because he couldn't afford the taxes on the contest prize, may be going to the cosmos after all. Emmett has signed on to become a consultant to a space tourism upstart in exchange for a chance to experience weightlessness some 60 miles above Earth.

Emmett won a space trip as part of a 2005 sweepstakes sponsored by software company Oracle Corp. He forfeited the prize after calculating he would owe $25,000 in taxes for a spaceflight valued at $138,000.

Enter Benson Space Co., a Poway-based company founded by rocket entrepreneur Jim Benson, who is trying to break into the suborbital spaceflight business.

Benson, who dreamed of flying to space as a boy, said he sympathized with Emmett and offered him a consulting position.

"He had a dream, the dream got broken and we fixed it," Benson said.

As part of the agreement, Benson said, the company would pay Emmett an undisclosed amount to serve as a "test passenger," allowing him to hitch a free ride into space in late 2008 when the company hopes to send its first paying tourists. Benson said the partnership frees Emmett from any tax responsibility.

In return, Emmett would offer his feedback during the testing phase of the project.

Emmett said he was grateful for the second chance to go into space.

"My original situation hasn't changed," he said. "This isn't something I could do with my own means."

Several space tourism ventures, including British mogul Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic, are jostling to develop a suborbital vehicle to ferry rich passengers before the end of the decade. Vehicles would need to get approval from the Federal Aviation Administration before they could fly out of the atmosphere.

Benson's Dream Chaser will be powered by hybrid rocket motors and can hold as many as six people. The company has not yet decided on a launch site.

A ticket will cost $200,000 to $300,000 _ the higher prices for those who want to be in the co-pilot seat.

j2k4
02-08-2007, 10:54 AM
What, no snide commentaries about evil private enterprise riding to the rescue?

Ava Estelle
02-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Jim Benson is a Democrat, and has given financial support to the Dems, I see no Rep offered to help ... typical!

j2k4
02-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Jim Benson is a Democrat, and has given financial support to the Dems, I see no Rep offered to help ... typical!

So, being of the democrat persuasion is sufficient to offset evil capitalist tendencies?

Ava Estelle
02-09-2007, 03:26 AM
So, being of the democrat persuasion is sufficient to offset evil capitalist tendencies? Being a Democrat means he has no evil capitalist tendencies.

j2k4
02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
So, being of the democrat persuasion is sufficient to offset evil capitalist tendencies? Being a Democrat means he has no evil capitalist tendencies.

And in your case being a democrat means you have not the slightest acquaintance with reality.

Ava Estelle
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
And in your case being a democrat means you have not the slightest acquaintance with reality. They don't have Democrats in Australia. :)

j2k4
02-09-2007, 09:01 PM
And in your case being a democrat means you have not the slightest acquaintance with reality. They don't have Democrats in Australia. :)

Quite true; whence, then, does your allegiance and empathy spring?

Ava Estelle
02-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Quite true; whence, then, does your allegiance and empathy spring?
Perhaps you could dig up some examples of my allegiance and empathy towards the Democrats?

Pointing out your bias doesn't count, we need actual examples of said allegiance and empathy.

The clock starts ....... now!