PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Stuff

ToraBoraDweller
05-21-2003, 10:17 PM
As I'm planning on buying a scanner in the near future
could you folks recommend some tips for what it takes to
create a doc or e-book?

I was thinking of easy to use scanning-software and
things like how long does it take to scan a whole book ??

Maybe we could collect all tips and make some sort of quick-manual?

I'm sure we like to see some new material appear on the internet. :)

MagicNakor
05-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Well, after you scan in your stuff, you should OCRize it...except it usually comes up with tons of errors that you have to manually correct. ;) Not fun. Depending on what type of book you're scanning in, you might have to destroy it, cutting the pages along the spine. Poor book. I'll look for my notes...

:ninja:

ToraBoraDweller
05-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@22 May 2003 - 01:22
Well, after you scan in your stuff, you should OCRize it...except it usually comes up with tons of errors that you have to manually correct. ;) Not fun. Depending on what type of book you're scanning in, you might have to destroy it, cutting the pages along the spine. Poor book. I'll look for my notes...

:ninja:
If you use a handheld scanner (don't see many of those around these days)it
might prevent forcing y'r bookspine? :(
Do the errors have to do with the type of bookfont?

imported_jamesandpie
05-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Yup, the clearer to the read the text the easier it is for the OCR to pick it up, it also depends on the softwre ure using. Try and use a really professional one for decent results

imported_QuietSilence!
05-22-2003, 08:35 PM
a hand scaner is uasy not good enuff and its a lot harder too use. u got too scan larg pages 2 times with them then line up the sacns. a flat bed has the best resualts. u can scan as pictures in about 4 hr for a 250 page paper back. but it takes a long time to ocr it. i use text bridge its not too bad but it still comes up with some erriors u got to edit by hand. last one i did took 4 days to prof its not an easy thing to do. and if u dont cut out the pages and lay them flat u u get a lot more erriors in the ocr. all so the scans before u do the ocr can take up a lot of room

ToraBoraDweller
05-23-2003, 03:18 PM
i use text bridge its not too bad but it still comes up with some erriors u got to edit by hand.
I saw somewhere else your post about text bridge ,however it's not clear to me if it is a correction program or a conversion program (or maybe both).
Is it a function withib all OCR-progs or a stand-alone app?

(i'll probably go for a office-machine :printer &scanner combined in 1)