PDA

View Full Version : Housemate deleted wordpad????

feygan
01-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Ok I knew I shouldnt have been nice, but a souple of days ago my housemate asked if they could use my pc for some online research. Somehow they managed to delete wordpad from my system whilst removing a piece of software they downloaded for their research. I've just re-adding windows components to fix it, but with no luck. I can open microsoft office word, and type etc. But if I try to open an rtf file it just crashes word. I also dont get a normal wordpad folder, start button or anything. Anyone got any advice how I can fix this?

AppName: winword.exe AppVer: 10.0.2627.0 ModName: winword.exe
ModVer: 10.0.2627.0 Offset: 008248f2

Thats the error signature I get when I try to open word

peat moss
01-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Click help then Detect and Repair option from within Word may fix it . Or go to Control panel / add remove / change program to reinstall .

backlash
01-29-2007, 01:51 PM
he's talking about WordPad, which comes with windows. What OS are you using?

Do you have a windows CD? You can do a windows repair with that. It sounds like you have spyware or a virus running loose on your computer. You need to address everything. Do you have AV software? Also run lavasoft's adaware and spybot S&D.

feygan
01-29-2007, 01:54 PM
I tried the add remove and reinstalling, and each time I stick in my xp disc to re-add wordpad it tell s me that my sp2 is newer than the disc so it wont reinstall wordpad. Just tried the detect and repair and no ironic suprise being microsoft. To run detect and repair from word I have to have the following programs closed. "Microsoft Word" (go figure)

I'm on windows xp home sp2, with ad aware/norton av 2007 both uptodate and clean of everything at last scan this morning.

Virtualbody1234
01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
This is very unclear and confusing.

It's either Word or Wordpad. It can't be both.

You seem to be using the 2 terms interchangeably in your posts.

If it's Wordpad then you shouldn't mention Word.

Is the Wordpad program still there in: "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe"

backlash
01-29-2007, 06:19 PM
This is very unclear and confusing.

It's either Word or Wordpad. It can't be both.

You seem to be using the 2 terms interchangeably in your posts.

If it's Wordpad then you shouldn't mention Word.

Is the Wordpad program still there in: "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe"

confusing is right!

feygan
01-29-2007, 07:17 PM
No the wordpad.exe isnt there, hense I cant start it whatsoever. Also I cannot now open word. It just gives the error message I posted above.

peat moss
01-30-2007, 02:16 AM
Have you tried SFC , you can extract a copy from your CD by running the SFC tool . Thats if it's really not there or try System Restore ?

backlash
01-30-2007, 01:24 PM
peat's referring to
sfc /scannow command

Start > Run > type sfc /scannow hit enter

100%
01-30-2007, 02:17 PM
wordpad is called "wordpad.exe"
whereas old word is called winword.exe
what you are looking for is fixing word

in the meantime, here is "wordpad" (see attachment)put in C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories

i suggest reinstalling word