PDA

View Full Version : New Vista versions

lightshow
01-30-2007, 09:14 PM
So now that the retail vista versions are out (in stores) I'm guessing their won't be anymore scene releases right?

Since the ones already out are the same retail RTM versions.

I keep checking nforce for any releases but there arn't any so I'm assuming the old rls's are final (same as retail ) and any new ones will just get nuked.

You all think so too?

zapjb
01-30-2007, 09:41 PM
This won't stop the releases. They'll be finals though.

Releases has 2 meanings here. Warez: as in a cracking group releases. Software makers: release as in release candidate (RC) vs Final.

tesco
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm pretty sure they're identical anyway.

Skiz
01-30-2007, 10:29 PM
I haven't been keeping up with this at all, and the version I currently have will expire at the end of May.

Are there any releases out yet that are "good to go". No restrictions, no problems, no limitations, etc.?

jokzor
01-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I haven't been keeping up with this at all, and the version I currently have will expire at the end of May.

Are there any releases out yet that are "good to go". No restrictions, no problems, no limitations, etc.?
Skai-zu

Skiz
01-30-2007, 10:38 PM

Skai-zu

What?

Prevision
01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
^^ lol

There isn't a totally cracked version yet that doesn't require any tricks but it's just a matter of time.

Other than that you can use a couple of methods to extend your deadline which I'm sure you know where to find.

S!X
01-31-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm gonna wait till theres a good version of Vista Ultimate edition is out. Being that my comp has all the drivers and software preloaded I'm kinda reluctant to install it cause I'll probably end up with a shit load of problems either driver or software related. I just saw something on the news about vista but I can't remember what version they said has the media center application in it. That may be the better bet for me if I do choose to install vista.

peat moss
01-31-2007, 03:14 AM
It was no big I tried it , went back to XP because my software choices were limited . I can wait 6 months then try again , till then I'm happy with XP Black Pro .

Was reading about the Vista upgrade route that renders your XP key useless thought that was pretty funny like a car wreck . :dabs:

If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

Link : http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/vista-upgrade-invalidates-your-xp-key/74/

zapjb
01-31-2007, 04:06 AM
Here's the lie to M$ Vista Upgrade Limitations from M$ :lol:

From MajorGeeks.com
Source: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/95011/95011.html?Ad=1

Microsoft Confirms Vista Upgrade Limitations (Updated with Workaround)
A Web Exclusive from WinInfo
Paul Thurrott
WinInfo
InstantDoc #95011
WinInfo Email this Article
Printer Friendly
Reader Comments
Digg This
Del.icio.us
RSS
Subscribe to Windows IT Pro | See More News and Analysis Articles Here | Reprints

With a support note quietly posted to its Web site, Microsoft confirmed what enthusiasts have long feared: Users who purchase Upgrade versions of Windows Vista will not be able to perform clean installs of the operating system. Instead, they will need to first install their previous OS and then upgrade in-place to Vista.

"This problem occurs because Windows Vista [Setup] does not check upgrade compliance," a support note on Microsoft's Web site reads. "Therefore, you cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista."

While this is sure to infuriate some users--and certainly, it contradicts information Microsoft provided me with last year--the reality is that upgrade installs of Windows Vista essentially wipe out the OS and perform an install that is very much like a clean install. The real problem here, therefore, will be the length of time it takes to install Vista using the Upgrade media: Though Vista often installs in about 30 minutes, previous versions often take twice as long.

UPDATE: I haven't tested this yet, as I don't have Vista Upgrade media to test, but I'm told that Microsoft's internal documentation does explain how to clean install Vista using an Upgrade version. It appears to be more of a workaround than a true clean install, however. Here's what it says.

1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.

2. Click "Install Now."

3. Do not enter a Product Key When prompted.

4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.

6. Install Vista normally.

7. Once the install is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from within Windows Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.

8. Enter your Product Key when prompted.

Skiz
01-31-2007, 04:15 AM
With a support note quietly posted to its Web site, Microsoft confirmed what enthusiasts have long feared: Users who purchase Upgrade versions of Windows Vista will not be able to perform clean installs of the operating system. Instead, they will need to first install their previous OS and then upgrade in-place to Vista.

This is how all of the Windows upgrade discs have been to my knowledge. I know XP was like this when upgrading from '98. I don't see why they even make separate discs. If you're buying the software, just give me a disc that will work if I ever run into any problems and need to reinstall.

Seedler
01-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Seriously just wait another couple weeks for a good pirated version of Ultimate.

And who besides companies and pre-load brand PCs buys an OS? Dumping $200 into windows just doesn't fit under your typical PC build budget.

I'ma gonna play with Vista's Aero interface at someone else' house and that'll be the end of it. :dabs: Windows XP for me for the next 3-4 years or so, until nothing supports XP anymore:01:

peat moss
01-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Seriously just wait another couple weeks for a good pirated version of Ultimate.

And who besides companies and pre-load brand PCs buys an OS? Dumping $200 into windows just doesn't fit under your typical PC build budget.

I'ma gonna play with Vista's Aero interface at someone else' house and that'll be the end of it. :dabs: Windows XP for me for the next 3-4 years or so, until nothing supports XP anymore:01:

Well your good till 2010 then according to Microsoft . :)

XP Pro till 2014 supposedly but can't find a link as I read in yesterdays paper .

zapjb
01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I believe XP home has been extended to 2014 as well.

mr. nails
02-08-2007, 10:24 AM
i've cum across a list of known versions of win vista. it can be found here (http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/27/microsoft-gets-official-on-vista-versions) & here (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp). they're pretty shitty, but it's the only ones i've found so far. can someone elaborate on it? also, currently only x64 vista will allow 4gb of ram. the x86 version will not see it! honestly, i have no idea why u would want the ultimate edition version, but apparently it's the best version so when it's time to get it i'll be getting the windows vista x64 ultimate edition version. copies are available right now, but u have to use some sort of time stopper crack and i don't feel like fucking with my date on my pc. maybe the ultimate edition version will allow u to install endless times like windows professional corp edition did? someone explain this!

tesco
02-11-2007, 04:14 PM
i've cum across a list of known versions of win vista. it can be found here (http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/27/microsoft-gets-official-on-vista-versions) & here (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp). they're pretty shitty, but it's the only ones i've found so far. can someone elaborate on it? also, currently only x64 vista will allow 4gb of ram. the x86 version will not see it! honestly, i have no idea why u would want the ultimate edition version, but apparently it's the best version so when it's time to get it i'll be getting the windows vista x64 ultimate edition version. copies are available right now, but u have to use some sort of time stopper crack and i don't feel like fucking with my date on my pc. maybe the ultimate edition version will allow u to install endless times like windows professional corp edition did? someone explain this!
All the vista versions are on one disc. When you install you enter your key which is either a basic, enterprise, ultimate, or whateverthehellelsethereis, and it installs whatever features that version comes with.
Or you can chooose to not enter any key and it asks you what version you 'payed for' so that it can install for now and let you enter a key later on (it gives you 30 days like this :)).

Virtualbody1234
02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
... maybe the ultimate edition version will allow u to install endless times like windows professional corp edition did? someone explain this!

No. An Ultimate key will only let you install it onto 1 computer.

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-12-2007, 12:43 PM
hmm, I didnt know that the only version of vista that would see 4gb of ram was the x64, that sucks if its true. I have vista ultimate with a volume license so i can do whatever i want, but I dont even use it because of the limited software at this point in time. I also know that running at least 2gb ram helps with vista alot. I only have 1gb, but was going to buy 3gb more, but I'll have to check into the limits of vista so i dont waste my money, cuz I dont have the x64 or whatever 64bit.
does anyone know where to look to find out about the max amount of ram? Microsofts website is horrible to navigate and find anything.

Ahh found something http://www.kingston.com/windowsvista/vista_faq.asp

zapjb
02-12-2007, 03:40 PM
vista doesn't have volume license.

Virtualbody1234
02-12-2007, 03:59 PM
... I have vista ultimate with a volume license so i can do...
Maybe you have some information about that? Please do tell.

danelna
02-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I hear that have vista "x" someone heard about this to?

digmen1
02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
The shop price of Windows Ultimate seems very high !

Here in New Zealand it is about $ 900 you can buy a whole PC for that !

I think it wil just encourage piracy.

Regards

Digby
NZ

zapjb
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
... I have vista ultimate with a volume license so i can do...
Maybe you have some information about that? Please do tell.
I was looking for my reference. Couldn't find it. Found sources about VLK & Vista. So looks like I am wrong.

I just thought all versions had to be activated at least twice a year. So looks like theres VLK for Vista. But if it has to be activated periodically & limits hardware changes. What good is Vista VLK & how does it differ from nonVLK Vista? Other than OS differences.

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-13-2007, 04:41 AM
I have no idea whats better about a vlk. The company I affiliate with gives me anything I ask for, and vista was one of them. I havent had a chance yet to ask what the deal is with licensing. The copy I have is installed on about 10 machines right now, and I guess it would be more, but everyone has software that wont run, so most are staying with xp. The company has access to the vista tap program and all msdn crap, so they get keys that dont need activated. I assume this is a perc of being a part of those programs with microsoft. I get all the new software from MS before its released, and sometimes its nice, other times its not. I am still waiting on office 2007. I was supposed to have it last weekend. I think its office 2007, or maybe just outlook 2007, i forget.

for example, I am running 2 ms server 2003 enterprise servers with MS echange here at my house just for the hell of it, but I do get my email fast :lol:

cost to me for all this software....................$0.00

but, its all because of the contacts i have, nothing more. now if I could get them to give me a blade server, then I would really be happy :P

peat moss
02-13-2007, 04:41 AM
I'm betting OEM keys will be the new "VLKs" . ;)

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-13-2007, 05:00 AM
I know a guy who knows it all when it comes to MS and their vlk or other things. When I catch up with him. I'll ask about it.

mr. nails
02-18-2007, 11:55 AM
... maybe the ultimate edition version will allow u to install endless times like windows professional corp edition did? someone explain this!

No. An Ultimate key will only let you install it onto 1 computer.

ok, i have windows vista ultimate 64bit edition and i like it very much! also, i've worked around the 1 pc install and i can install on unlimited pc's! job well done to myself. thx. also, yeah, when u install windows vista it does ask u what version u want to install like previously said. of course i picked ULTIMATE! lol, whatever that means... oh, it means i can play the xbox 360. pftt, don't even have one. oh, well.