PDA

View Full Version : Finally!!

Skiz
02-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I just downloaded my first piece of media via newsgroups!

All I can say is, that was fast, although no faster than my torrent speeds when from a good tracker. I peaked at about 590kb/s, but I probably averaged more like 480-500. I get constant speeds of 590kb/s with uTorrent and again, a good tracker. :idunno:

I guess that's when a torrent is heavily seeded and new and not a few weeks old. Newsgroups, I'll get that speed all the time I assume? :unsure:

It's nice not having to seed though. :)

After several overly complicated tutorials and failed attempts to figure out newsgroups, RealitY got me going in about 5 minutes.

First download - Best of Eric Clapton, 2CD set. :01:

For a backup, of course. :whistling

geen
02-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Congratulations and Welcome to the club :)

ciderman
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
find that newsgroups are fast. good that u got if figured out.

Curlz31
02-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Newsgroups, I'll get that speed all the time I assume?

Yes. With a sufficient number of connections you should be maxing out your full bandwidth every time when downloading from newsgroups (as long as there are no other applications eating up bandwidth at the same time eg utorrent). Therefore bittorrent download speed can only ever be equal to (never better) than what you get from newsgroups at any particular point in time.

shazer
02-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Yep, newsgroups are awesome!

I've downloaded my first piece yesterday and i am averaging 1 MB/s.
I think i am addicted ... 15 GB so far!

Warm Regards

delimare
02-02-2007, 02:18 AM
I gave up torrents for newsgroups a week ago and I can honestly say I'll never go back to torrents. Newsgroups for the win!!!!

riceboi
02-02-2007, 02:42 AM
congrats welcome the the club

Colt Seevers
02-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I just downloaded my first piece of media via newsgroups!

It's nice not having to seed though. :)

After several overly complicated tutorials and failed attempts to figure out newsgroups, RealitY got me going in about 5 minutes.

First download - Best of Eric Clapton, 2CD set. :01:

For a backup, of course. :whistling

Was it one of the tutorials on here? I only tried the Newsleecher tut but I didn't think it was overly complicated? Just wondering...

Yep, newsgroups are awesome!

I've downloaded my first piece yesterday and i am averaging 1 MB/s.
I think i am addicted ... 15 GB so far!

Warm Regards

I gave up torrents for newsgroups a week ago and I can honestly say I'll never go back to torrents. Newsgroups for the win!!!!

QFTMFT

(Quoted For The Mutha Fookin Truth)

Skiz
02-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Was it one of the tutorials on here? I only tried the Newsleecher tut but I didn't think it was overly complicated? Just wondering...

I tried the tut of RealitY's about 2 years ago, though he says it's changed a lot since then.

I also tried this:

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

4play
02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
out of curiousty skizo who is your provider. generally people seem to like to try their isps's first which tends to put alot of people off after there first attempt.

Skiz
02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
out of curiousty skizo who is your provider. generally people seem to like to try their isps's first which tends to put alot of people off after there first attempt.

RoadRunner (pimpietracker)

mesaman
02-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I've been downloading binaries from newsgroups since 1996, and long ago I learned to combine my ISP server with free news servers so I don't have to pay for a premium news provider, but recently I found several private trackers for bittorrent that have much more varied content than I've ever seen in newsgroups or even eMule. So now I'm learning more about bt and using newsgroups less. I've used bt before, but because of the dazzling variety of content now available on those new trackers, I feel like I've advanced a major step up from just using newsgroups. The speed sucks but for content that is so rare, it's either bt or overseas mail order.

Curlz31
02-02-2007, 09:45 PM
I've been downloading binaries from newsgroups since 1996, and long ago I learned to combine my ISP server with free news servers so I don't have to pay for a premium news provider, but recently I found several private trackers for bittorrent that have much more varied content than I've ever seen in newsgroups or even eMule. So now I'm learning more about bt and using newsgroups less. I've used bt before, but because of the dazzling variety of content now available on those new trackers, I feel like I've advanced a major step up from just using newsgroups. The speed sucks but for content that is so rare, it's either bt or overseas mail order.

I agree but requesting material on usenet is a way of getting around that problem. Using Usenet, Bittorrent and eMule co-operatively is the most powerful option imo.

Skiz
02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Holy shit! I was just downloading at 966kb/s! :O

I didn't even think that was possible with my connection. :unsure:

MultiForce
02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
The first months with usenet is heaven.... until you get used to it and have to buy 2 HD's a months :P

Skiz
02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
The first months with usenet is heaven.... until you get used to it and have to buy 2 HD's a months :P

I haven't started paying for anything yet. I've just downloaded a few NZB's from here at FST.

TBH, I don't even know how to do anything else. :idunno:

MultiForce
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM

I haven't started paying for anything yet. I've just downloaded a few NZB's from here at FST.

TBH, I don't even know how to do anything else. :idunno:

I meant 2 hard drives each month because of disk space ;)

Skiz
02-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I meant 2 hard drives each month because of disk space ;)

I know. :unsure:

MultiForce
02-07-2007, 02:04 PM
You mean you don't know how to do anything else apart from using NZB files from here?

Maybe a stupid question but I'm tired.... been playing Test Drive Unlimited all night.

Skiz
02-07-2007, 03:14 PM
You mean you don't know how to do anything else apart from using NZB files from here?

Maybe a stupid question but I'm tired.... been playing Test Drive Unlimited all night.

Correct. As you'll see in the first post, I just learned how to do that a couple days ago. Haven't had time experiment yet. ;)

geen
02-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Correct. As you'll see in the first post, I just learned how to do that a couple days ago. Haven't had time experiment yet. ;)

Try binsearch.info or newzleech.com (for example) to make your own nzb's !