PDA

View Full Version : Orson Welles is alive and well and living in Boston

lynx
02-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Boston Officials Livid Over Ad Stunt
Boston Officials Outraged Over Cartoon Publicity Ploy That Sparked Terrorism Fears

By KEN MAGUIRE

BOSTON Feb 1, 2007 (AP)— Boston officials, livid about a publicity campaign that had disrupted the city by stirring fears of terrorism, vowed to prosecute those responsible and seek restitution.

Officials found a slew of blinking electronic signs adorning bridges and other high-profile spots across the city Wednesday, prompting the closing of a highway and the deployment of bomb squads.

The 38 signs were part of a promotion for Cartoon Network TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," a surreal series about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball. The network is a parent of Turner Broadcasting Systems, Inc.

"It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme," Mayor Thomas Menino said. "I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today's incidents."

The 1-foot tall signs resembled a circuit board, with protruding wires and batteries. Most depicted a boxy, cartoon character giving passersby the finger a more obvious sight when darkness fell.

Turner Broadcasting, a division of Time Warner Inc., apologized, but Boston authorities are still angry.

They arrested two men who put up the electronic promotions and vowed to hold Turner accountable for what Menino said was "corporate greed," that led to at least $500,000 in police costs.

Turner said the devices have been in place for two to three weeks in 10 cities: Boston; New York; Los Angeles; Chicago; Atlanta; Seattle; Portland, Ore.; Austin, Texas; San Francisco; and Philadelphia. As soon as the company realized the Boston problem, it said, law enforcement officials were told of their locations in all 10 cities.

"We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger," said Phil Kent, Turner chairman.

Kent said the marketing company that placed the signs, Interference Inc., was ordered to remove them immediately. Messages seeking additional comment from the Atlanta-based Cartoon Network were left with several publicists. Only in America. :noes:

Are the people of Boston really that dumb?

MCHeshPants420
02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
:lol:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force is teh pwnage.

MCHeshPants420
02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Teen_Hunger_Force#Boston_Magnetic_Light_Scare

The devices look really bomb-like.

Busyman
02-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Boston Officials Livid Over Ad Stunt
Boston Officials Outraged Over Cartoon Publicity Ploy That Sparked Terrorism Fears

By KEN MAGUIRE

BOSTON Feb 1, 2007 (AP)— Boston officials, livid about a publicity campaign that had disrupted the city by stirring fears of terrorism, vowed to prosecute those responsible and seek restitution.

Officials found a slew of blinking electronic signs adorning bridges and other high-profile spots across the city Wednesday, prompting the closing of a highway and the deployment of bomb squads.

The 38 signs were part of a promotion for Cartoon Network TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," a surreal series about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball. The network is a parent of Turner Broadcasting Systems, Inc.

"It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme," Mayor Thomas Menino said. "I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today's incidents."

The 1-foot tall signs resembled a circuit board, with protruding wires and batteries. Most depicted a boxy, cartoon character giving passersby the finger a more obvious sight when darkness fell.

Turner Broadcasting, a division of Time Warner Inc., apologized, but Boston authorities are still angry.

They arrested two men who put up the electronic promotions and vowed to hold Turner accountable for what Menino said was "corporate greed," that led to at least $500,000 in police costs.

Turner said the devices have been in place for two to three weeks in 10 cities: Boston; New York; Los Angeles; Chicago; Atlanta; Seattle; Portland, Ore.; Austin, Texas; San Francisco; and Philadelphia. As soon as the company realized the Boston problem, it said, law enforcement officials were told of their locations in all 10 cities.

"We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger," said Phil Kent, Turner chairman.

Kent said the marketing company that placed the signs, Interference Inc., was ordered to remove them immediately. Messages seeking additional comment from the Atlanta-based Cartoon Network were left with several publicists. Only in America. :noes:

Are the people of Boston really that dumb?

America? More like "only in Boston".:dry:

100%
02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
The guys in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doD_VpT_yAY

100%
02-01-2007, 07:45 PM
And may i ask what is the relation to 'graffiti style advertising terrorizing the public' and Orson Welles?

ooh i get it
war of the worlds radio hype?

lynx
02-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Question is, is it that some people are so stupid to not realise that stunts like this is the way things are advertised, or is it a result of government "fear factor" propaganda?

If it is the former, that's pretty scary in itself, considering the reaction of the police and city officials.

If it is the latter, well, that says enough in itself.

I'd be interested to hear any other reasons for such an extreme reaction.

MCHeshPants420
02-02-2007, 07:24 AM
The guys in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doD_VpT_yAY

Good video, I want one of those Mooninite things.

100%
02-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Press conference with the terrorists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ytr2Oyv4&eurl=

MCHeshPants420
02-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Hilarious, nice to see the accused treating the situation with the contempt it deserves. Though they'll probably regret it...

Mindfukced
02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
excellent,

that was funny watching that interview

made my day...:w00t:

thanks,

Mindfukced

jonasfjeld
02-03-2007, 06:57 PM
nice idea! liked those LED-monsters.

AlexV
02-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Boston really over-reacted. Turner might get $10 million in fines, but they already go at least $100 million in publicity.

lee551
02-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Boston really over-reacted. Turner might get $10 million in fines, but they already go at least $100 million in publicity.

good point. this is more advertising than they dreamed of getting.

it's such a ridiculous situation. i was watching headline news when that was happening and it was all serious at first talking about how they found what were potentially bombs. once it blew over it was quite funny. the poor scapegoats they arrested tho. :(

i'm all for being secure, but can a little logic/common sense come first?