PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Barbarossa
02-01-2007, 04:24 PM
The last instalment of the Harry Potter saga will be published on 21 July, author JK Rowling has announced.

She confirmed the date fans will be able to get their hands on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on her website.

Rowling has said two characters die in the final book and fans are wondering whether Harry is one of them.

The Potter books have sold 325 million copies worldwide, have been translated into 64 languages and spawned five blockbuster movies.

This is the 10th anniversary of the first book of the hugely successful series being published.
Shops opened at midnight and queues formed when the last book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, was released.

It sold 2,009,574 copies in Britain on the first day of its release, publisher Bloomsbury said.

Film Revival

The firm said it would publish a children's hardback edition, an adult hardback, a special gift edition and an audio book on the same day.

As well as making Rowling a dollar billionaire, the books have been credited with bringing children back to reading and reviving the British film industry.

When asked about Harry's fate, Rowling has said she could understand authors who killed off their characters off, to stop others writing new adventures.

But she admitted being worried about the reaction from fans if the boy wizard came to a sticky end.

Rowling always made it clear the series would be in seven parts and much of the plot was almost set in stone.

In a recent web posting, she said: "I'm now writing scenes that have been planned, in some cases, for a dozen years or even more."

The latest film based on the books, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be released in the UK on 13 July 2007.

The Complete Harry Potter

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the US)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for the paperback version again. :(

maebach
02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
cool, the other were great. I only have 1 harry potter paperback

Chewie
02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I've read the first 6 and they are indeed enjoyable.

Can anyone elaborate on the Adult editions? Are they very different to standard and if so, in what way?

MCHeshPants420
02-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm not a fan.

I agree with Byatt's commentary, that Harry Potter is a “secondary world, made up of intelligently patchworked derivative motifs from all sorts of children's literature, written for people whose imaginative lives are confined to TV cartoons, and the exaggerated mirror-worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip". Tolkien, Le Guin and Lloyd Alexander (just for starters...) all did it better than she ever will.

Go read a proper book.

Busyman™
02-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I haven't seen any of the movies and certainly haven't read the books.

Harry Potter reminds me of The Worst Witch.

MCHeshPants420
02-02-2007, 07:20 AM

The comparisons are quite striking: http://www.geocities.com/sayswamp/worst.htm

Barbarossa
02-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Can anyone elaborate on the Adult editions? Are they very different to standard and if so, in what way?

Just different covers I think :unsure:

MCHeshPants420
02-02-2007, 09:23 AM
The adult cover has a picture of Rowling naked on a bed of money frigging herself off with a Quidditch broom.

Barbarossa
02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
The children's cover has the same picture, but rendered in hentai style

maebach
02-02-2007, 03:22 PM
The adult cover has a picture of Rowling naked on a bed of money frigging herself off with a Quidditch broom.

:lol: :lol:

se's old :sick:

Hairbautt
02-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Ahhh, just read: Final Harry Potter book gets record Amazon orders (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=internetNews&storyid=2007-02-02T132801Z_01_WEN3468_RTRUKOC_0_US-AMAZON-HARRYPOTTER.xml&src=rss). For the Half-Blood Prince, I ordered it thro' Amazon's Used Books the paperback version...paid like $4 + 3.59 S&H...They sent me the damn hardcover.

Doesn't match collection. :( Pricks.

Hairbautt
03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Just saw this at CNN. If any are still interested :view: View: Final Potter book: 784 'green' pages (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/20/books.greenpotter.ap/index.html)
Merge posts?

Hairbautt
03-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Cover revealed:
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/28/books.pottercover.ap/cover.potter.jpg

:source: CNN: Cover for final 'Potter' revealed (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/28/books.pottercover.ap/index.html)

Feel free to merge my posts, thought this was worth a bump. ;)

Also at CNN: Harry Potter's UK publisher sees profit fall (http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/03/news/international/bc.bloomsbury.results.reut/index.htm?section=money_email_alerts)

seras12345
03-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Someone already said but yes, the only difference is the cover. It's mainly for adults who don't want to seem like they're reading a 'children's' book :shifty:

Snee
04-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I haven't seen any of the movies and certainly haven't read the books.

Thank you. I've been trying to remember what it's called.

Harry Potter also makes me think of:

http://www.temp.sfbok.se/kat/img/21541.jpg

Rowling's work, if you can even call it that, is borrowed (or stolen) from a bunch of proper authors. She's a bit of a dick, who's getting rich off the work of the people she's borrowing from.

It would have been all right if she'd stuck to telling the story to her kids, but the woman has no shame.

mantic
04-09-2007, 12:11 AM
I understand all of the anger about her plagiarism, but it doesn't really bother me. I feel like when someone creates a strong character, it's not because of originality but because the character fits their situation well. Would it bother you if someone wrote a spy novel and they were physically fit, smart, and good with women? Sounds like Bond to me. I just don't think you could write about a spy and not have him sound like Bond. Same goes with a young wizard.

I may not know enough to talk about harry potter and his similarities with other books, but Rowling does seem to exhibit some creativity in the storyline and the details of wizarding lives.

TorrenTy
04-12-2007, 09:44 AM
i don't know why i don't love this Brown ; )

jackprince
04-25-2007, 07:39 PM
I've just found it... guess it is the original Book... it also contaims 718 pages like the "original" one... frankly i've not yet got the time to read this one... but i think it is real....

http://rapidshare.com/files/27907553/HPnDH.rarhttp://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/28/books.pottercover.ap/cover.potter.jpg

i could be wrong though.....

Snee
04-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Uh-oh.

Barbarossa
04-26-2007, 10:47 AM
I've just found it... guess it is the original Book... it also contaims 718 pages like the "original" one... frankly i've not yet got the time to read this one... but i think it is real....

http://rapidshare.com/files/27907553/HPnDH.rarhttp://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/28/books.pottercover.ap/cover.potter.jpg

i could be wrong though.....

You are. That is the famous fake. Someone has obviously tinkered with the page numbering, to make it look more authentic.

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/apr/17harry.htm

brotherdoobie
05-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Harry Potter... :dabs:

-bd

crabmed
05-21-2007, 08:01 AM
i've read all the book.. i like it though. :sick: but harry potter pales in comparison to the Lor of the Rings series. :yup:

Kuberr
05-29-2007, 09:30 PM
It's addictive, but it's not great literature.

WHRST
05-29-2007, 11:54 PM
i've read all the book.. i like it though. :sick: but harry potter pales in comparison to the Lor of the Rings series. :yup:

true

SAM
07-16-2007, 03:21 AM
i cannot wait till the 7th part release
I'm a huge fan of harry potter series i think it's the best fantasy series ever

Michellin
07-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Any luck on getting a website with the final potter book?

Barbarossa
07-20-2007, 09:21 AM
I got the one with the photographed pages, yes. :dabs:

WHRST
07-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I got the one with the photographed pages, yes. :dabs:

A pdf of that is out now, it is probably real because 1200 copies were sent to people 4 days early. what did u think of the epilogue? I liked the rest of it

Racket
07-20-2007, 11:12 AM
yeah, the full pdf came out yesterday. Seem pretty good.

crimsonhelkyte
07-21-2007, 12:59 AM
harry potter is cool but jk rowling should do like starwars and show the events that happened leading up to tom riddles death

Demigod
07-21-2007, 07:22 AM
harry potter is cool but jk rowling should do like starwars and show the events that happened leading up to tom riddles death

Interesting that you should say that because that's probably what will happen. Very rarely do they stop milking a franchise until it is sufficiently dry.

And plus, Harry Potter has earned billions for her and as per the saying "you can never have enough money," I just can't see her dropping Harry Potter after this book.

WHRST
07-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Looks like leaks were real after all now that I have my copy but what she do with the books after the last chapter anyway, if there were to be more books. Though unlikely IMO.

mikechrobot
07-21-2007, 09:52 AM
I have never been a big Harry Potter fan, and I truly can't understand the people that stand in lines for days (?) to get the book as early as possible, I find it really stupid, especially when there is a leaked version online

tesco
07-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Who could possibly read an entire book this way?
More importantly, who would take pictures of every single page of a book?:huh:

Incase anyone doesn't know that's one of the 77+100+79+140 jpeg pics of the book found on p2p.

ilw
07-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I just finished reading the pdf version and i reckon the last book isn't that great. The plot is intentionally and annoyingly aimless for a big section of the book, very lucky coincidences keep happening all the way through it (even more than usual for HP books), and it seems JKR fairly pointlessly kills off one or more characters
slight spoiler:(loads of characters)

cookiesandcream
07-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Got my book yesterday the time doors opened at the bookstore. Finished reading it now, it was pretty good, better than the 5th and 6th combined, but no where near as good as the first four, I think. But that's just my opinion. Well. That definitely closed the curtains. I must admit, whilst there are better books to read, Harry Potter should be one of those that I enjoy the most. I had much fun (few boring chapters here and there, but the rest made up for it) reading, and hopefully those who haven't, will have fun as well. :D

Biggles
07-22-2007, 01:54 PM
So pretty much Hamlet with wands?

Lost track of these after about book four as my kids moved and started reading Philip Pullman.

Michellin
07-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Read the book and I have to say it is one of the best books she wrote. But far too many deaths than expected and sometimes it had vague descriptions of where the hell they were

WHRST
07-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Read the book and I have to say it is one of the best books she wrote. But far too many deaths than expected and sometimes it had vague descriptions of where the hell they were

agreed but we all new more than two deaths were coming, though the way she described them I thought it might be ron, hermine or harry. Though I guess Snape and Voldemort qualify as the two main characters. Though bealtrix was killed too. She said she would lay a major part in the book but it was her family that played the major part not her specifically except for that gringots bit. though most of the deaths were pretty vauge, though besides the other semi-main characters that died she vaguly said fifty people were killed @ the end. Mad-Eye Moddy,Bealtrix,Hedwig,Fred,Lupin,Tonks,Snape and Voldemort of course. I guess I was right about Snapes loyalties after all.

Beware of reading if u have not read the book!!!!!!!!!!

mod edit - spoiler tags please :dry:

EDiT// figured everyone who was interested had read it by now

colt45joe
07-23-2007, 01:05 AM
So pretty much Hamlet with wands?

No.

SAM
07-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Who could possibly read an entire book this way?
More importantly, who would take pictures of every single page of a book?:huh:

Incase anyone doesn't know that's one of the 77+100+79+140 jpeg pics of the book found on p2p.

will
i already read it this way
i'm big hp fan i have to admit that i couldn't wait till the release date so i download this copy and read it
it wasn't this hard to read actully :D

NeoTheOne
07-25-2007, 12:09 AM
so the prick doesnt die?

WHRST
07-25-2007, 02:33 AM
so the prick doesnt die?

nop

crabmed
07-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Pretty disappointing..:dry:

crabmed
07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
:frusty:

Barbarossa
07-25-2007, 09:32 AM
so the prick doesnt die?

Yes, but he comes back to life.

nyx12
07-27-2007, 06:39 AM
yeah the end was pretty disappointing

dcx
07-27-2007, 05:15 PM
I found an odd little extension to the epilogue in an interview with JK Rowling, here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/). It's kind of nice even if it isn't quite book form. And I hear there's another book in the works, too...

punki_rach
07-31-2007, 06:38 PM
the ending was just terrible. She might as well have just put 'and they all lived happily ever after'

SAM
08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
the ending was just terrible. She might as well have just put 'and they all lived happily ever after'
yeup, bad ending and too many new people in this book
it got me confused:frusty:

trekster
08-02-2007, 12:27 AM
The ending was lame especially after the final fight seen between harry and voldemort,was expecting better ending but after all was a great read and will be intereting to see how they do all the fight seens in hogwarts in the film but will propably be disapointing just like the lord of the ring's film's were.

Ali-g
10-01-2007, 08:05 PM
YACCCC!!! The worst HP book, maybe the worst book I ever read given the expectations i had after HP 6. I jst hate it that JKR has been so vain.
She knew people would buy it all the same so she didnt give a rat's ass about how the book was... Superficial, without logic, occasionally done, written without thinking, based on her fist thoughts of book 1-2 not the others which were way better etcc

despikable
10-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Yea i agree the ending was somewhat lame after all the suspense of the first 6 built.

Hairbautt
10-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Spoiler (sorta, its in recent news):

Dumbledore is gay, 'Harry Potter' author reveals (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/10/20/harry.potter.ap/index.html)
:blink: Now it all seems paedo-feel-liac.

Racket
10-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Yet one more thing for the activist groups to cry out about now...

maddoxro
11-23-2007, 07:33 PM
i wonder,if Dumbledore is gay,why wouldn't she say that some female personage is lesbyan :|

StefanSamara
11-25-2007, 03:28 PM
well , i must say that i enjoyed all the hp books ( including the 7th ), but the ending was CRAP ! After all the intense moments i think the story deserved a better ending ...